Milk Jug Airtanks

Practical?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Nerfinator

Nerfinator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 09:03 PM

Hello. I am an old nerfer, but i haven't posted on any message boards since NO. Anyway I am trying to make an air tank using milk jugs. My question is what is the average PSI they could hold, or about how many shots could I get per jug? Any help would be very much appreciated.

*EDIT- I am using a basic ball valve for the trigger on the gun. ^_^
Nerf Commandos -Check us out Nerf Commandos

#2 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:04 PM

If you're just going with the ball valve, then... Well, one shot. You open the valve, and there all the pressure goes, unless you use multiple valves, or decide that opening and closing stiff ball valves really fast is entertainment. Sorry to be so negative, Milk jugs will hold... Well, 8 Litres... but their tolerances couldn't be too high. That plastic is way too weak. You may want to make a chicken wire cage around them, to make sure nothing unfortunate happens when they explode. I'm not sure how volatile they'd get... They're only milk jugs, after all. Good luck with it, regardless.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:16 PM

Use 2 or 3 litre soda bottles. PET will handle pressure much better than milk jugs.

Zero, you got some seriously big jugs in Canada. 8 litres?? Ours are 3.7854 litres.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:32 PM

Eight Liters??? Wow! Are these jugs plastic or glass? And whats the plus of having such a huge tank?
Happiness is a foam gun.

#5 Nerfinator

Nerfinator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:41 PM

I should of metioned I am using a air regulator, so no, it will not be gone in one shot.

#6 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:47 PM

*snip* Zero, you got some seriously big jugs *snip*

hehehe :lol: Things are best when taken out of context....I'll shut up now.
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#7 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 03:12 PM

Actually, Canadians probably DO have bigger jugs. Hormones seem to accelerate in Canada. Seriously, I play CS with dudes my age that sound like they're 20....
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#8 six-hungry-ducks

six-hungry-ducks

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:57 PM

If I were you, I would use 2 20 ounce pepsi/coke bottles. The big 2 liter jugs aren't strong enough. Someone that works with my dad attaches a hose to a 2 liter bottle and attaches the other end to an air compressor and turns on the air. After about 4 seconds, the jug explodes, but he tried doing this with a 20 ounce bottle and it didn't explode at all. The plastic is stronger in the 20 ounce bottles.

GunnedDown, what server do you play CS on?

And Nerfinator, where did you get the regulator, and how do you attach it?
"It's never the obvious..." -Me
"Trust no one, not even yourself" -Me
"Hey I was watching that!" "It'll be on next Christmas" "Who the hell knows when that's gonna be?" -Peter Griffin

#9 Nerfinator

Nerfinator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:20 PM

And Nerfinator, where did you get the regulator, and how do you attach it?

Well I got the regulator from my friends dad who works at a local gas company that works on pipelines, otherwise they cost over $100 usually. I am going to attach it directly on the the tube straight off the tank.

#10 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 02:50 AM

Hmm.. I was thinking 4 litres, then I thought of the system you'd use, involving two milk jugs, and from there my brain just fritzed, I guess. Sorry about that. Contrary to popular belief, we aren't as big of milk fiends up here as I may have made out. I don't even like the stuff.. Unnatural.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#11 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:42 PM

It's fun breaking the jugs that are in the middle of Diablo II... Hehe... They never give anything good though.

I'd suggest using soda bottles.

~Mystic~

#12 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:23 PM

I should of metioned I am using a air regulator, so no, it will not be gone in one shot.

i dont know how much a milk jug can can hold but the standar pvc you buy can hold up to 120 psi and still be safe but that is the three inch in diameter kind. i found out if you are manking and air tank pvc is the best to work with for you homemades. if you are using any type regulator i would say atach it to the tank then have the air hose come out the the regulator. this way if you opent the regurlator let some air inthe hose then shut the regulator. you will get one shot but then you could do it again and again.
Die you super-monkey fuck!

#13 Hudson Hawk

Hudson Hawk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 02:15 PM

Um... regs are automatic, you don't have to do anything inbetween shots for them to work. I don't know if you can still get them but www.sciplus.com had regs for $7.50 years ago. 300PSI to a nice, neat variable 30-90PSI I believe.

#14 the guy who unleashed hell

the guy who unleashed hell

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:33 PM

[QUOTE]Zero, you got some seriously big jugs in Canada.

:lol: hahhahahhahahahahahahahahahaha it's funny how you guys are talking about huge jugs ;)

#15 DylPckl24

DylPckl24

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:06 PM

Dude, that is an awesome idea with the milk jugs or the 20oz pop bottles. I should try that. Good idea again.
"Mr. Anderson what good is a phone call if you are unable......to speak."Agent Smith

"Me Me Me......Me Two." Agent Smith

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:41 PM

All right, I'm glad you all got my little joke. Can we either post something constructive here or let this topic die?

Summary: PET soda bottles or PVC will hold much more pressure than milk jugs. Regulators are good.

The question is when will someone use air tanks and regulators to make a real clip-fed semi/full auto homemade with a reliable design? I don't want schematics, I want photos and range testing.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users