Help With New Nf's

This sucks..

14 replies to this topic

#1 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys, I haven't been into nerf for past 2 months, and I just went to Target and found two little blue/yellow nightfinders. Bought them both. I like the new casing, and I thought it would perform the same...but I was wrong.

Both my nightfinders, with the stock darts, got 10-15ft. I thought it was just the darts, because my old NF's used the fatter Red Micros, and not the new ones which suck. I tried the older darts, and got maybe 20 IF that...

The first one when fired, the cocker reachs half way to un-cocked position, and just slowly slides forward. It sounds like there is WAY to much air restriction. I even hold the trigger down, pull the handle back, and push forward hard, and it still goes down slowly, no matter how hard I push.

The second one does the same thing sometimes, and other times, sounds like a BBB. Its very loud, like there is much friction between the tube, and plunger, like it hits back and forth.

I am very disappointed. This couldn't possibly be a lemon factor could it? Two guns performing bad. Thats like a .01% lemon. Anyway, if I am the only one, then I guess they are lemons, and I must go buy more, but if not, how can I fix this problem.

Also, can these be modded to the original NF's ranges? Plus, my triggers stick when they hit the back or something. Very strange. I am thinking of taking the old internals and putting them into this one just beacuse I like the cosmetics. But that would lose me a NF. Please help guys.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#2 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

The reason the plunger is moving slowly the last half way is because of the air restrictor. This is the same with all ummodded nf, new or old.

#3 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

As far as I know the internals are identical. Go ahead and mod them and you should get the same ranges. Also, my triggers on my old NFs always do that. Its just part of the way the mechanism is designed.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#4 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:05 PM

As far as I know the internals are identical.

Wrong. The new NF's have one less piece in the plunger assembly, but it's basically the same thing with two pieces molded together instead of separate.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:10 PM

That's really weird. I noticed the plunger slowing down, but mine gets pretty good ranges, even with the new darts. :ph34r:

Edited by NerfMonkey, 29 January 2005 - 07:13 PM.

SexD Warves

#6 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:21 PM

And they have diffenernt springs, too. But if you drill the air restrictors, you'll be fine.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#7 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

I would suggest not drilling the air restrictors. Drill a hole in the piece at the front of the plunger sure, but completely remove the actual restrictors (the pronged piece with the spring behind it, for example.) It is much cleaner if you completely remove them, and there's not any excess pieces/junk rattling around inside.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#8 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:21 AM

Drill a hole in the piece at the front of the plunger sure,

I think that most of us consider that part an air restrictor as well. I think what nerfspecialforces meant is that you want to remove the pronged piece for sure, and drill through the rest of the air restrictor parts.

BTW, has anyone done a heads up comparison between the old and new NF's?

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#9 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:22 AM

Ok, so they have differnet springs: If I was planning on doing the Maverick plunger replacement, would I be better off buying new or old NFs since I have both in local stores. Is the new spring weaker?
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#10 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

The new springs are weaker.
Morons With Guns own you.

#11 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:42 PM

Do we know for a fact that they are weaker or are we basing this on the performance of the guns? Because the spring being weaker is very different from the plunger tube not making as good a seal, or the nozzle being more restrictive. I think someone needs to actually measure the resistance of both springs with some weights using the same system to compare them.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#12 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

I think someone needs to actually measure the resistance of both springs with some weights using the same system to compare them.

there's only one amongst us capable of such a task, and at the moment he seems pretty tied up with karma. it looks like this is just one case that will never be solved.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#13 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:20 PM

I think it was Uriel on Nerf HQ who put them side by side and noted that the new one was smaller.
Morons With Guns own you.

#14 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

I think someone needs to actually measure the resistance of both springs with some weights using the same system to compare them.

there's only one amongst us capable of such a task, and at the moment he seems pretty tied up with karma. it looks like this is just one case that will never be solved.

Bah, I thought I might make a setup, we'll see. I've got a good idea, and it shouldn't be that hard. I thought I might make a table of spring constants/ resitivities (sp?) for various stock springs. (this leads to the idea of testing how stretching springs affects their performance.)
Just as a question, would people be ok with something like kg/cm or lb/inch? That's the first idea I got when I was flipping through my old physics 31 notebook.
If I get the new nf, I'll be sure to test it.
I'll try to get the setup by this weekend or at least Feb. break.
-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#15 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

If you guys say so. I was so disappointed when I heard and saw these things fire. They sound horrible. Maybe I should lube if up or something. I jsut wanted to know if I was the only one. Thanks guys

Ohh and anotehr thing, anyone got a link to a new write-up of the new NF mod? I have searched and only found old, and reviews for the new. Thanks again.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users