Photo

Establishing A Dart Diameter Standard

8 replies to this topic

#1 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

I've noticed that since I've been out of nerf over the past couple of years people have moved to the 1/2" FBR. I can understand why being as nerf has almost ignored mega darts and the number of barrel materials we have made that fit our respective FBR. I mean, usually I remeber 5/8" fbr flying straighter and being capable of higher velocities while being able to fit PVC that can be found anywhere.

side note: What store is that firm grey stuff found at? I bought it from a guy in soCAL but don't know what brand it is or where to find it. I know it naturally fits PETG really well and is a tad slimmer than most. I think I've seen it in cxwq's pics around the site.

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

5/8" darts will have to have a larger air output for the same range as 1/2" darts. They are also bigger, causing more fluid friction from the air, which might cause more fishtailing.

side note: What store is that firm grey stuff found at? I bought it from a guy in soCAL but don't know what brand it is or where to find it. I know it naturally fits PETG really well and is a tad slimmer than most. I think I've seen it in cxwq's pics around the site.

I believe you are talking about SCH 80 pvc. You can find it at most hardware stores.

Edited by FIDO, 27 January 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

He's accually talking about FBR. Is there a point to this topic besides that question?

#4 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:06 AM

He's asking why people have moved to 1/2 FBR when, judging from his expierence, 5/8 is better in most respects. Atleast that's what I think.

I'm pretty sure cx gets his foam from loghelp.com though you'll have to ask him to make sure.

#5 notorious oxide

notorious oxide

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:23 AM

im in australia so things could be a bit different.
but i get mine from the insulation and fillings section in my local hardware store
-------
COREY

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

We switched to micro stefans over the last couple years because of the following advantages:
  • More efficient use of air volume
  • Higher barrel velocity because of the above
  • Less aerodynamic drag
This laundry list of improvements was made possible by the discovery/application of brass, SCH80, and PETG.

I get my FBR from loghelp.com if, indeed, that was your question.

I spent so much of my first ~1 year on the forums advocating for 1/2 over 5/8 and yet I never really noticed that the arguments had mostly died out. I appear to have won.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#7 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

It would appear that way, Cx, but you have to remember you have us old stubborn assholes (ok, just me mostly) who still prefer 5/8. Now don't get me wrong, I use both. My splitfires function much better with 1/2 as well as my maxshots (I can't remember if that's even what they are called... you know, the Lanard guns with the top mounted lever). However, I still use mostly 5/8 with my crossbow and LnL (though I do have barrel inserts for my Crossbow to use 1/2 that I keep on me in battle so that I can use both types of ammo) because I find that for some reason my accuracy is way better with 5/8. Now this may just come from years upon years of playing with 5/8 before anyone even considered using 1/2... I may have just gotten used to the way it fires or something. However, I do notice that my accuracy is definetly better with 5/8. It also seems to me that with my higher powered projects (ie supersoaker turned nerfgun, etc) 5/8 gets better distance than 1/2, but that may be due to the fact that there is simply more mass to a 5/8 dart, or it may be that I suck at making 1/2 barrels, who knows.

In any case, my point was, some of us old bastards still use 5/8 for certain guns.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

Oh, you don't count*. I still won.

Regarding accuracy, 5/8" is definitely more accurate than 1/2". I've never tried to argue that point because it would be futile. Slight curvature of the FBR, imperfections in the foam, weights that aren't perfectly centered, and uneven hot glue all have a greater impact on 1/2" darts than 5/8" darts.

I do feel that this advantage is almost entirely negated by the fact that 5/8" darts are so much easier to dodge because they are easier to see, slower moving, and (because they're more accurate!) it's easier to extrapolate where they're going.

*The uncharted backwaters of the universe known as Jersey and The Deep South have held on to the archaic tradition of making 5/8" darts. It has become one of their amusing and even endearing cultural traits to those who study the subject.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:39 PM

lol funny geographic analysis cxwq. When it comes down to homemads especially I don't see much reason to use 1/2" FBR, your argument regarding the inability to dodge 1/2" vs 5/8" is very true though I'd much rather have accuracy than unpredictability on a single shot nerf gun, which is what most loser guns and the such essentially are. You can put more weight in the larger FBR also making wind having a smalled impact on range testing etc, making 5/8" good for a modtesting standard. In homemades, most people have problems with their darts fishtailing which can be partially eliminated by using 5/8" foam or a larger, heavier projectile than the 1/2" that most use. I've converted all of my guns out of compulsion and the 24 feet of PETG I bought to 1/2" FBR and I don't regret it but still believe 5/8" FBR has its place. I think its largely assumed on NHQ and Nerfhaven that 1/2" is the standard.

Edited by Viper, 27 January 2005 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users