16 replies to this topic

#1 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:02 AM

Greetings!
I haven’t posted anything substantial in a long time, so I whipped this up.
Oddly enough I thought of this idea only days before I saw the new ubermaxx.
I found that the front of a SM750 was almost identical in size to the back of an AT2k turret. I thought for a couple days, and when I saw the new ubermaxx, I thought Ice Nine had beaten me to it. However, this was different in many ways from what he did.

With a dremel, a SM750, an AT2k turret, some tubing, and some plumber’s goop, I was able to put a turret on the front of the SM750, and make it look cool.

Part 1
These steps are only for attaching the turret.
**I highly suggest that you attach the turret to the side of the shell that doesn’t have the screw holes, just because the other side will simply come off like normal.**
1) Dremel a hole for the bottom of the turret, the part that the air enters through.
Posted Image
2) Dremel notches for the flat notches on the back of the turret.
Posted Image
3) Drill a hole with the same diameter as the middle of the screws (not threads)
Be very careful to have the turret on straight while you drill the pilot hole.
Essentially, like this pic.
Posted Image
4) enlarge the hole in the top of the turret only, making it big enough to fit the head of the screw.
Posted Image
5) Screw the turret on to the front of the SM750 and make it tight. If the screw won’t go all the way in, check for obstructions in the case, and if present, either shorten the screw, or dremel the obstruction. I suggest hacksawing the screw down.
Posted Image
6) Repeat for another screw on that side of the shell.

NOTE: if desired, pilot holes can be assed on the other side of the shell, and then screws added once the case is closed.

Yay, here’s the product of part one:
Posted Image

Part 2
These steps are how to attach the turret to the valve.
1) find a short section of strong tubing. Cut the tubing so that it spans the valve and turret with enough to fit in both ends, but not enough to force them apart.
2) Wrap the ends in electrical tape so one end fits snugly in the valve, and one fits snugly in the turret’s air ‘entrance’.
Posted Image
3) Apply plumber’s goop liberally to the turret end of the tubing and put it into the turret end. Then apply some to the other end and stick it into the valve. After it has cured, apply a layer on the outside of both connections, as well as inside the area between the tubing and the valve.
Posted Image
4) Make sure that all connections are fine, and that even with the maximum pumps, no air escapes, and all connections stay put.

Part 3
There aren’t any more real steps.
Now it’s up to you to barrel it as you see fit. 6” of brass or PETG seems like the best idea, because very little air is lost in the transfer from the valve to the turret. I’m hopefully making one in brass, as well as one in PETG. If I finish them soon, I’ll post which is the better. Don’t expect it too soon. I’m lucky this got out before midterms as is. I’ll keep checking back for questions and comments.

Also, while you’re barreling it, why not give it a bad-assed paintjob? I plan to when time permits. I might add some other cosmetic accessories, but I might keep it simple.

Enjoy!

-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#2 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:49 AM

Simply...awesome.

#3 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

:D
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#4 southpaw

southpaw

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:55 AM

Thats really nice. I put a CPVC coupler on my SM750 and glued 3 barrels together so you can switch between one and another. The only problem i see with yours is the vinyl wrapped in E-tape that is attached to the front of the airtank. I've tried stuff like that before and it pops out. You might want to glue it just in case because you wouldn't want it to pop out in the middle of a battle.
Sup?

#5 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

Thats nice. It looks like you have the barrel stubs on the turret in a, how shall I say, bowl thing, with an angle and stuff....I don't know, it just looks like one would have a hard time getting the barrel in there. Again, thats a nice mod to improve rof, I've got to try that out with some of my guns.

#6 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:32 PM

Taken from part 2

3) Apply plumber’s goop liberally to the turret end of the tubing and put it into the turret end. Then apply some to the other end and stick it into the valve. After it has cured, apply a layer on the outside of both connections, as well as inside the area between the tubing and the valve.

That's the idea, southpaw. And yes. It would suck royally if the vinyl broke in battle.

WEASEL-
It's just like barreling an AT2k. Nothing is different about this turret, except that it's stuck on a SM750.

Brass barreling started, should be done soon. No pics of that right now.

-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#7 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:52 AM

Cool mod. Very cool.
...I just realised that the old version 750's valve is alot smaller than the new version 750's valve that I have - has this always been the case.

-TIG.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#8 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

No, because the SM750 old and new internals are about as identical as the SM1500 old and new innards. Only thing different is some of the trigger mechanism lengths. With some adjustment there, they can be swapped in and out, trust me.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

Wow, you did a MUCH better job than me!

My original idea was to use vinyl tubing, as you did, to bridge the gap between the turret an airtank, but we didn't have any, so I substituted brass. It looks SO much better when you do it so clean and carefully.

And, finally, yours ACTUALLY looks like a SM750. Mine is so... not.

Great job, man. Keep up the good work!

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#10 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

That sound like it seals well too. A very practical mod in a 4shot pistol that gets 85 feet flat and is very small and holsterable.

#11 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Ice Nine, I'm glad you like it. If you need vinyl tubing, just go to home depot. I just got a 20' roll for my current project for under 2$. And I could identify your ubermaxx as a Sm750, but then again I own 3 of them. I really like them ^_^

The seal should be great, and it's only a 3" section of vinyl.
Also, it's a really sick kind of tube. I've been calling it vinyl for simplicity's sake, but really it's something my dad uses in his chem lab (he's a professor) called tygon. Here's some. I don't think that's exactly what I used, but that's the material. Now that I look at the comparison, vinyl appears to have better pressure ratings... perhaps I should replace it... only if it breaks. Otherwise, it's just a hassle. And I'm much lazier than it seems. :)
And it really is awesome for such a small pistol.

Anyways, I’m almost done. I'm taking suggestions on paintjobs. I was thinking a deep shiny purple on the faux air tank, with flat black stock. Then I could call it "Purple Haze".

Suggestions?
Ideas?
-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Ice Nine, I'm glad you like it. If you need vinyl tubing, just go to home depot. I just got a 20' roll for my current project for under 2$. And I could identify your ubermaxx as a Sm750, but then again I own 3 of them. I really like them :)

The thing is, I did this way before my mom would've been able to/needed to go to Home Depot.

I'm going this morning, so I may actually get some. I also don't know if I would use 20' of it at any time soon, but, then again, i don't know.

Any improvements you noticed that the tubing supplies over a straight line (i.e. brass) from the airtank?

Rnbw Cln

#13 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

If by straight brass out of the barrel (one shot), vs. thru vinyl to brass (four shot method). I don't see any difference. The big difference is how you can put the quad barrel on. I haven't range tested it yet, but I don't expect any differences.
Even if it lost 5' or so, even 10', it would still be worth the greatly increased rof.

Paintjob? purple haze suggestions?
-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#14 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

If by straight brass out of the barrel (one shot), vs. thru vinyl to brass (four shot method). I don't see any difference. The big difference is how you can put the quad barrel on. I haven't range tested it yet, but I don't expect any differences.
Even if it lost 5' or so, even 10', it would still be worth the greatly increased rof.

Paintjob? purple haze suggestions?
-Jlego

I was actually refering to how the tubing works in comparison to, say, a piece of brass to bride the gap between the turret and the airtank.

I bought some tubing this morning at Home Depot; How do you suggest that I secure the tubing to the airtank.

As far as the paintjob goes, I would suggest a VERY dark purple paintjob all over the gun, and maybe a glossy black over the barrels and stock.

Rnbw Cln

#15 Drano

Drano

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hey, nice , clean job.

I was wondering, since the only thing i hate about the at2k is that it shoots from the bottom barrel, if it was a concern for you guys?

If i ever do this mod, I would make the gun shoot the top barrel. The mod is awsome as hell though. Much more compact than the at2k

#16 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

These steps are how to attach the turret to the valve.
1) find a short section of strong tubing. Cut the tubing so that it spans the valve and turret with enough to fit in both ends, but not enough to force them apart.
2) Wrap the ends in electrical tape so one end fits snugly in the valve, and one fits snugly in the turret’s air ‘entrance’.
Posted Image
3) Apply plumber’s goop liberally to the turret end of the tubing and put it into the turret end.  Then apply some to the other end and stick it into the valve. After it has cured, apply a layer on the outside of both connections, as well as inside the area between the tubing and the valve.
Posted Image
4) Make sure that all connections are fine, and that even with the maximum pumps, no air escapes, and all connections stay put.

Yep, and that's how to attach the tubing.
Hope that's what you needed.
And about brass vs. tubing: so long as the brass has a good seal, you should be fine, I’d just be worried that you would lose some air, and considering the size of the valve, I'd be somewhat careful. It really shouldn’t matter though.
Paint job, yeah, that's what I'm going for.

Drano:
I did consider putting the firing barrel on top, but it lost a coin toss. Really. That's how I decided. Hell, I thought it would be funny, just to confuse people if you mounted it on the side. I though it would be funny, but not too functional. All you have to do to mount it on top is dremel the first hole on top, and mount it the other way. No biggie.
And yes, it is much cooler in my opinion than the AT2k, because I find it more pistol-like. That's just my crazed opinion, though.

-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#17 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

HA!!! Such A GREAT JOB!!! This is a great tribute to one of the best sidearms ever!I think i'll try it on mine, tough I dont know if i'll use an at2k turret.Maybe I'll just make my own turret out of pvc...Whatever, nice job.
Black Masks & Gasoline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users