Nested/breech Barrels

::ducks::

8 replies to this topic

#1 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:02 AM

Okay, firstly, I apologize for a topic that is brought up often in other threads. Second, I want to state I have in fact read articles, mods, and searched threads both here and on NHQ.

Basically, I'm rather confused about nested barrels. Most of my confusion comes from exactly what type of brass/PVC combination to use. I'm getting a Crossbow very soon, and I may be re-modding my BBB, and I want to know what exactly what to do for the nested barrel and coupler.

I've seen a lot of stuff about nesting barrels, some of it conflicting, and I'm really rather confused over what is outdated and what is not. First, correct me on any of this I'm wrong on, 'cause I am seriously not sure. Now, I assume that when you nest a barrel, you're intending to use micro Stefans. I've seen some people say that they use three types of brass in PVC ( 17/32 in 9/16 in 19/32, and than that in PVC, which is Cx's method in his Mod: 401 article here ). I don't see where it says what type of PVC to use exactly though, nor if it is indeed for micros or not (I assume it is, nothing else makes much sense). However, there are also people who use only two lengths of brass rather than three in PVC; some seem to eschew PVC totally. Is a 1/2" coupler used for all of these, and if so, what type (Sch 40/80, etc.)? Which type of dart truly does get better range and accuracy, mircos or megas? Or are they equal, simply achieved through different methods? Does straight 1/2" PVC with megas get the same ranges and accuracy as nested brass micros? Does one really need 10 inches, or would 8" suffice? What is the length of barrels used for nested and straight PVC?

Basically, I'm really confused. I feel as if there has been a lot of info for this stuff that has been lost over the "ages," but also that there are so many standards, that I'm missing stuff in the mix that I'd miss no matter how much research I do. If you guys could describe what you did with your BBB's and Crossbows, besides answers to the above, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:42 AM

Most of my confusion comes from exactly what type of brass/PVC combination to use.

What I'd use is 11" of 19/32" in SCH 80 1/2" pvc, (you might need to use a rat tail file to get it in there) then put 7" of 9/16" in the 19/32", after that put 2" 17/32 in the 9/16. Stick a pvc coupler on the front of the plunger tube/gun and you're done!

Is a 1/2" coupler used for all of these, and if so, what type (Sch 40/80, etc.)?

Yes, and it doesn't matter what type the pvc coupler is, SCH 40 and 80 have the same OD.

Which type of dart truly does get better range and accuracy, micros or megas?

Micros, because the barrel is larger, so there is a bigger barrel to tank/plunger tube ratio. There is also larger fluid friction from megas than micros

Does straight 1/2" PVC with megas get the same ranges and accuracy as nested brass micros?

Hell no, first, like I said in the statement above, micros shoot farther than megas. Second, the micros barrel is telescoped for better range, but the megas one isn't. Third, I'm pretty sure that brass has less friction than pvc, so the dart slides easier.

What is the length of barrels used for nested and straight PVC?

Around 1'.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

What I'd use is 11" of 19/32" in SCH 80 1/2" pvc, (you might need to use a rat tail file to get it in there) then put 7" of 9/16" in the 19/32", after that put 2" 17/32 in the 9/16. Stick a pvc coupler on the front of the plunger tube/gun and you're done!

Hold on there doggy. From my personal experiance, 19/32" brass snugly fits in SCH 40 so one would have to do a lot of fileing to get it in SCH 80. I would start off with SCH 40.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

I generally use 17/32" OD nested in 9/16" OD K&S brass as my general purpose micro stefan spring gun barrel.

Whether or not you stick the above in a piece of PVC is entirely up to you and depends on whether you want a simple breech loader or not.

My current EaB mod is 12" of 9/16" followed by 4" of 19/32".

My xbow will most likely be 2" of 17/32" followed by 8" of 9/16".

Experiment, see what works for you. If you plan to use PVC to hold your barrel, 9/16" K&S will fit in (most) 1/2" SCH80 with some effort and any of the above will fit in 1/2" SCH40, possibly with a little electrical tape to make it snug.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

What I'd use is 11" of 19/32" in SCH 80 1/2" pvc, (you might need to use a rat tail file to get it  in there) then put 7" of 9/16" in the 19/32", after that put 2" 17/32 in the 9/16. Stick a pvc coupler on the front of the plunger tube/gun and you're done!

unless you've got fatass micros - why are you bothering with 19/32" brass? the fact that your darts fit snugly in 17/32" makes me guess that you're just wasting money with 19/32". i can't think of any advantage of having so wide of a barrel on the end of your gun. the only two guns i could imagine using 19/32" brass on would be a maxshot or a eab - and with those i would start with 9/16", and forget the 17/32". three brass segments seems like overkill. also, 19/32" isn't likely to fit well into sch. 80, so why not just use sch. 40 instead of using a file if you insist on using 19/32"? timberwolf, i would stick with a combination of 17/32->9/16->sch. 80 unless you are using really fucking fat micros, megas, or stock darts.

Edited by rawray7, 18 January 2005 - 06:17 PM.

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#6 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Couple more questions. First, if I used only brass, what type of coupler would be needed (say, for 17/32 in 9/16)? Would a coupler work for that, or would I do something different? Second, if I did use Sch 40 or 80 PVC, would the microstefan litterally rattle around in the barrel as it was being fired? Or is the ID of 80 small enough that mircos make snug contact with the barrel?

Thanks again guys, all this along helps a great deal.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#7 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

First, if I used only brass, what type of coupler would be needed (say, for 17/32 in 9/16)? Would a coupler work for that, or would I do something different?

First of all, never use only brass, it can get dinged. But, if I had to, I'd probably use some 19/32" to sheath over it.

Second, if I did use Sch 40 or 80 PVC, would the microstefan litterally rattle around in the barrel as it was being fired? Or is the ID of 80 small enough that mircos make snug contact with the barrel?

SCH 40? Yes, your darts will rattle around alot. For SCH 80, it fits my darts snug, but as rawray said:

you've got fatass micros

. So I'd say your darts probably won't rattle.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#8 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:25 PM

First, if I used only brass, what type of coupler would be needed (say, for 17/32 in 9/16)? Would a coupler work for that, or would I do something different?

First of all, never use only brass, it can get dinged. But, if I had to, I'd probably use some 19/32" to sheath over it.

I think what he ment was that he wasn't going to use the pvc as a barrel. Basicly, useing a coupler is where you have a 1/2in coupler attached to your plunger tube. Now you can go two ways: have a peice of brass stuck inside the coupler and have your main barrel in the pvc that fits over the first, smaller peice of brass and the sheithing pvc fits inside the coupler. So you would put the dart in the smaller of the two peices of brass and then put the bigger brass over the smaller one. The other way you could do this is have the smaller peice of brass stuck inside the bigger peice pirmanantly and have all that in a peice of pvc that you would stick into your coupler. Either way works but they both have their uses.
This would be an example of the first way.

EDIT: Wow, that is pretty confuzzling. Oh well, just use the link to understand the description.

Edited by WEASEL, 19 January 2005 - 02:27 PM.

#9 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:03 PM

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I finally understand now. Yes, your description was confusing, but the mod write-up cleared it all up. I didn't realize that the PVC was a covering, part of the actual functional barrel. I also didn't see that the brass from the gun barrel fits into the detachment. God that helps so much.

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me out.

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users