Photo

Using 2 Diffrent Propellants

7 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

If you take a super soaker (that is modified with a barrel to shoot darts) and put baking soda and white vinegar in the tank and pump it up will the dart go farther? Its basically using the energy of compressed air and baking soda. I don't know if this is a good idea or a stupid idea you tell me what you think. I guess you would just have to try it.

#2 Sinfil

Sinfil

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

Wouldn't the baking soda solution get all over the back of your darts? The only thing that I can see happening isyour barrell getting crap all in it after the first shot, making it really hard to shoot anyone for the rest of the war with "loser" gun.
Rifleman and 1337 modder of the Celtic Wolf Clan.

Myspace

~r4z0rBl4d35~

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

Ok, basically, you're producing gas for more compression. But think of it this way- no matter HOW the air gets in it, you're only going to be able to put so much air into it before it's basically impossible for you to pump, unless you put the baking soda and vinegar in it AFTER you pump it to the max, which I don't know how you plan on doing. Also, as Sinfil said, it'll just be a mess. You're better off just pumping it the normal way.

~ompa

#4 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

If you do that and then pump the goddam thing youll end up breaking the airtank. If you want to turn your supersoaker into a natural killer, you could add on another airtank, but then theres worrying about the seal leaking while you do it and being faulty after, and that could ruin the weapon...But I wouldn't put that much thought into a super-soaker anyway, go for a nice brassed bbb, it'll beat out a water gun anyday.
Black Masks & Gasoline

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:27 AM

I think zinc and hydrochloric acid would be more fun. It would probably melt your gun, or explode all depending on how strong the acid is, but still, I would pay money to see it.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

Doesn't that create hydrogen gas? It's been a while since chemistry, but I'm fairly sure.
Maybe if you had an ignitor... then it would be interesting...
Name's Ash, Housewares

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:09 AM

I did say explode.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

Are there any other good chemical reactions besides baking soda and vinegar? Im thinking of a homemade with 1 chamber. That chamber has the chemical reaction occuring and somewhere is a schreader valve attached to the chamber. Once the chemical reaction has occured you could take out a pump/air compressor to put in some compressed air (into the chamber where the chemical reaction occured). Its kind of complicated but would this work and make a powerful propellant. Now to make the chemical reaction somewhere there would be an end cap where you put the ingredients for the chemical reaction in the chamber. Once this is done you put compressed air into the same chamber.

Edited by Osiris, 30 January 2005 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users