Photo

Mac Vs. PC

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Mac or PC (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Mac or PC

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

I haven't seen many if any polls for this, so vote. I choose PC

#2 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

Is the PC running Windows, Unix, or an open-source OS like Linux? That'll affect people's answers. It'll affect mine anyways.
Spectre of the CFM

#3 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

PC gaming Pwns Mac gaming. PCs are cheaper too. Heck with PCs you can Dual boot (I.e. have Xp,and Linux, or even triple boot or more. I.e. XP,98,2000,Debian, and Suse.) I challenge someone to show me how a Mac is superior to a PC. And I won't except Prettier or Smaller.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#4 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

I vote this topic be closed pronto.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

Macs are cool because at the very heart of them, they're run on a Unix core. I can't remember the name of it anymore, but for general use, reliabilty and functionality, Unix has always been just a tad bit more solid then DOS. So in that respect, I like the Mac.

Unfortunetly those bastards are expensive and I can run Linux on a PC for less then half the price. So with that in mind I have something to say....ehem...

Suck it Mac!

Talio.

PS. Thats an old school zinger!
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:47 AM

Wandering back in time to week 2 of NerfHaven's existance, you'll find this lame thread in which I already gave my opinion on the subject.

As a much needed thread hijack, I'll throw this out there:

Happy (belated) 2nd birthday, NH!

That's right, we were 2 years old as of Dec 26th. How'd I let that slip past me?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#7 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:03 AM

Good job keeping a great forum and website running for two years admins.
~Halfling

#8 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:56 AM

Macs are cool because at the very heart of them, they're run on a Unix core. I can't remember the name of it anymore, but for general use, reliabilty and functionality, Unix has always been just a tad bit more solid then DOS. So in that respect, I like the Mac.

Unfortunetly those bastards are expensive and I can run Linux on a PC for less then half the price. So with that in mind I have something to say....ehem...

Suck it Mac!

Talio.

PS. Thats an old school zinger!

My house has been all Apple/Mac since our first computer (the Performa PowerPC 6300). Since then we've gotten the G4 tower w/ 21 inch screen, the deluxe edition iMac, and my laptop I use for school which is the 14 inch iBook G4.

The only problem we've ever had with the machines are the occasional monitor problem... from use and age. "Error" messages are damn near non-existent. We don't have problems like that, period.

I've never enjoyed computer gaming, so I've never had a use for it.

Mac gaming has certainly changed with the release of Mac OSX by the way, give it a bit of credit.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#9 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:16 AM

Whee! Mac gaming is alive. Most good games—admittedly, not all—come to OS X within a year (they're all written on Linux anyway), and by then they can take advantage of a couple patches and bugfixes from the get-go.
And there are Mac gamers; in fact, I'm a rabid MoHAA and CoD player.

PowerMac Dual 1.25 G4

Edited by okto, 10 January 2005 - 02:53 PM.

#10 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

I wasn't talking about gaming. I don't do computer games either. The X box, or whatever the gaming console of your choice may be, will always be superior in gaming functionallity because the system is particularly designed to run games. Games are made tailor fit to the system. This is not true with PC gaming. Not to mention it's more economical, because you only have to update your system every 3 or 4 years when a new one comes out. It's cheap, efficient, reliable and fun. PC games are a little more of a pain to get running. To each his own.

I never said Mac wasn't reliable, but I can run Red Hat on a PC for alot cheaper then I can run OSX on a Mac. Therefore PC > MAC.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#11 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:52 PM

I can run Red Hat on a PC for alot cheaper then I can run OSX on a Mac.

True. One thing that I can't argue, and that no Apple user should argue because it makes us look like wackos, is that they are expensive. I only have the machine I do cos A my dad is incredibly cool and B my major and planned career path is graphic design.

#12 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

I wasn't talking about gaming. I don't do computer games either. The X box, or whatever the gaming console of your choice may be, will always be superior in gaming functionallity because the system is particularly designed to run games. Games are made tailor fit to the system. This is not true with PC gaming. Not to mention it's more economical, because you only have to update your system every 3 or 4 years when a new one comes out. It's cheap, efficient, reliable and fun. PC games are a little more of a pain to get running. To each his own.

Going off on a tangent here, but I prefer PC gaming for two reasons. First, the graphics are far superior to consoles with the exception of the first few months of a new console, at which point graphics are about equal. No console will ever come close to the graphics that a near state-of-the-art PC costs, and I can build one of those for under $1000 (that's an argument for PC's over macs too).

Second, you gotta look at modding, which can take a game and increase its replayability an infinite amount. You don't get that on consoles.

#13 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

Seeing the points here, I'll vote PC. For most of the reasons listed here. I just don't like the Mac's functionality or it's design. And for all the Mac gamers, enjoy! :rolleyes:

[EDIT] Agreed Fuse, agreed.

Edited by Spectre2689, 10 January 2005 - 03:42 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#14 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

Haha, cool to see another CAD fan. IMO best web comic out there.

#15 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

Haha, cool to see another CAD fan. IMO best web comic out there.

Mmm, I also agree. I read CAD religiously... best bible I've ever read.

Edited by Black Wrath, 10 January 2005 - 03:50 PM.

Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#16 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:12 PM

I heart CAD. I still haven't seen one good reason to why Macs are better than PCs.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:20 PM

I only have the machine I do cos A my dad is incredibly cool and B my major and planned career path is graphic design.

You're aware that Adobe's revenue stream is down to 22-25% from Mac products?
That they develop for Windows first, then port to Mac? That FinalCut has caused most major software companies (including Adobe) to discontinue development of video editing software for Mac because the size of the market doesn't justify trying to compete with Apple?

Finally, I'm certain you're aware that an Intel workstation built on the same budget as a Mac workstation will outperform the Mac on pretty much everything related to graphic design work?

Disclaimer: My intent was not to bash the Mac but rather to discredit the (typically assumed) notion that Macs are inherently better for graphic design. The designers who switched from Mac to Win during Apple's fuckups 5-10 years ago are not returning.

#18 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:09 PM

I don't REALLY care, but I pretty much try to use a Mac over a PC if I can. Sure, Macs can generally be overpriced. But look at the iPod. Before its release, people were saying the same things (overpriced, teeniest bit of the market, etc.) but now they're extremely popular, and a lot of people, Mac AND PC users, have them. If Apple can continue to do things like this, and maybe start "playing nicely with others" (HP iPod, for example) then maybe Apple can get their rightful share of the market, instead of just a few percentage points.

In all the time I've had my iBook (G3, 700 mhz, almost 3 years old), I have not had a single problem with it (beside the occasional human damage to it). For example, my sister was mad at me, so she tried to kick me. I was holding the lappy, and she kicked that instead, made it fall on the (carpeted) floor from about 2 feet. Beside a minor screen display problem, nothing is wrong with it. I didn't lose any data, or anything bad like that. I suppose that was slightly off-topic, but it's part of the reason I like Macs: they're durable.

Then again, I've been weened on Macs, so I can't really say that this was an unbiased account.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#19 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

I voted Mac just because I feel that they're just more...well...I used to have reasoning that they were higher quality, but I don't remember it at the moment, haha.

However, our house is all PC, and I feel that PC is better with business because it still makes relatively good quality comps, at relatively reasonable prices. And the gaming with it rocks, I'd agree with that.

AA
Indiana '11

#20 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:03 PM

I dont get how your example of iPod is helping your argument. Im not trying to counter your argument in general, just the use of the iPod. Yes, they now hold a large share of the market, but they are still way overpriced.

#21 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

I voted PC because I have the magical power to destroy all Macintosh systems with my pinky finger.

Our school got a $5,000 grant for ibooks and video editing software. After getting pictures off the internet for a school project, I found out that everything I had done was corrupted. This led to the whole system de-stablising, and the school having to call in a special ibook technician to rebuild the wireless network, and re-integrate the ibooks into the apple network.

Man my science teacher was angry at me.

#22 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

I dont get how your example of iPod is helping your argument. Im not trying to counter your argument in general, just the use of the iPod. Yes, they now hold a large share of the market, but they are still way overpriced.

And they stop working properly. Frequently. I'm on my second iPod, going on my third. Thank god for warranties...
Spectre of the CFM

#23 FBB

FBB

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

How long did you have your Ipods for? My brother has had his for 1 year and has had zero problems with it.
Formely known as Waspy on NerfHaven
Formely known as Fire_brian burke on NHQ

#24 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

Well, I was using it as an example so that I can show how an Apple product can be succesful and that can be overpriced but still be a great product.

Oh. I wuv CAD. I especially liked the Mac Panthers.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#25 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

After getting pictures off the internet for a school project

Is that what they call it these days?

0 user(s) are reading this topic