Photo

This Is How You Suck

46 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

I heard it on the local rock station on the way in to work and on NPR on the way back from work. If you have somehow missed it (or are perhaps a Nickelback fan (I'm so sorry (no, really))) please download This Is How You Remind Me Of Someday. It's not hard to find, try Google.

Same chords, same bass line, same tempo, same bridges, no dissonance. Love it.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:38 PM

I thought this was going to be a thread about fellatio. Man, was I all over that one.
~§~ Warlock ~§~ Of the Lawn Chair Mafia ~§~

"It's so hard to be a fighter when your hands are always tied"
~"Señor Limpio" by Corrosion Of Conformity

Metal Gear?!

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

You're not far from the truth of the matter.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:49 AM

I had definitly heard about this, but never took the time to search for it to listen. Nickleback truely defines the lowest of the shit spectrum in Canadian music, don't they?

Anyways, I'd like to know where I can find it, and if it's audio or video. I'm searching on Ares, and I'm not finding anything yet, and I'm searching for "How you remind me of someday".

Thanks.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#5 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

http://www.nintendor...ives/000475.php

Theres a link to the mp3 on that site. Its pretty funny.
~Halfling

#6 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:58 AM

Wow. I heard the NPR thing, too.. but I saw a flash file about it awhile ago.

Fuck Nickelback.
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#7 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:45 AM

I heard this a long time ago, and found it pretty amusing. Damn shitbucket band. I like how they got them to sound almost exactly the same though. It's as if two waves of stupid collided in their heads.

Cam, if you can't find it, Ryan has it...somewhere.
Spectre of the CFM

#8 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hahah I have a track of that somewhere on my computer. That song, the combined one that is, is actually pretty cool, but it shows how much originality (sarcasm if you didn't catch it) Nickelback has.
Indiana '11

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

Somewhat off-topic, but Black Wrath, me, prism, and pretty much our entire orchestra ARE going up to Toronto in April. I'm sure I can muster a group willing to pay for some neat tours if you're up for it.

Somewhat on-topic, look up the song "If I were gay", because god damn is that a funny song in the right situation.

~ompa

#10 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

Somewhat off-topic, but Black Wrath, me, prism, and pretty much our entire orchestra ARE going up to Toronto in April. I'm sure I can muster a group willing to pay for some neat tours if you're up for it.

I'm going with my band, though i'm not sure if it's in april.

That is some funny shit

#11 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Do a search for "Nickelback Sucks"... it's been out since early last year some time at least.

http://homepage.mac....05/E2025289086/

That's one site that has the original file. It's a successful formula for radio rock, so I don't blame them for repeating it twice. They still suck hard.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#12 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:10 PM

I have to admit, I am a Nickleback fan. I think it's funny that they match up, but I think it's cool how they fit together like that too. And if you listen to most rock/punk rock type stuff, it's all mostly the same anyways. That's how it is with most any type of music.

EDIT: Why do ya'll not like them so much?

Edited by JT Nerf Girl, 05 January 2005 - 11:10 PM.

Go Hokies!

#13 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

I have to admit, I am a Nickleback fan. I think it's funny that they match up, but I think it's cool how they fit together like that too. And if you listen to most rock/punk rock type stuff, it's all mostly the same anyways. That's how it is with most any type of music.

I have to admit, you are teh suck.

edit: Because they are teh suck.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#14 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:24 AM

CROIKEY!

It's the wild teenybobber, in her natural environment.

Let's not do anything to piss her off, eh?

...oh, shit.
QUOTE(Arcanis)

#15 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:52 AM

not to be sexist, but...

girls seem to like nickelback, much more than guys. And, please, lets not shit all over someones musical tastes... thats the lowest thing a person can do in my book. Well, short of that whole Nazi-hatecrime thing. :wacko:

--macman
\m/-.-\m/

#16 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:06 PM

And if you listen to most rock/punk rock type stuff, it's all mostly the same anyways.

First, that statement is wrong. Much of the main stream is the same, but most of the music in general is not. Even if it were, that doesnt make it a good thing.

Nickelback isnt punk anyways. None of what you will hear on the radio is punk rock, it is pop punk, which is a completely different genre.

Thing with punk is no one claimed they were good at playing music; they said they were good at getting drunk, hitting the strings, and yelling bloody murder at The Man.

Edited by >Fuse<, 06 January 2005 - 01:06 PM.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#17 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

I have to admit, I am a Nickleback fan.  I think it's funny that they match up, but I think it's cool how they fit together like that too.  And if you listen to most rock/punk rock type stuff, it's all mostly the same anyways.  That's how it is with most any type of music.

EDIT:  Why do ya'll not like them so much?

CROIKEY!

It's the wild teenybobber, in her natural environment.

Let's not do anything to piss her off, eh?

...oh, shit.

Hey, I am not a teenybopper... anymore at least. Yes... I have just about every Backstreet Boys and Nyncs CD there is, but I was 15 when they came out, give me a break. I don't hardly listen to them anymore, only if I'm dreadfully bored. I do listen to a bit of everything, you name a band and I probably have something from them on my computer. Unless it's rare or really unheard of.
Go Hokies!

#18 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:48 PM

GAH....THIEF.

I don't listen to much music in general. What I do have to say is that most music you hear is done on a formula. Of course none of them have been really blatant. I think my problem with most music is that very few people have the balls anymore to make good music. Sometimes it means going outside what you know will be successful.

I'll be killed for saying this, but if you listen to Outkast, you'll find a group that will actually tread outside whats expected of them. It's rough when you get a contract, you have to do certian things. Fortunetly some groups are able to diversify themselves and still play well. Thats what makes a good musician.

Nickleback does not do that. But if you really want to charge a band with just flat out sucking, lets talk about Linkin Park. There is a band with very little talent. Take three chords, add generic scratching, add generic white boy who chants more then raps, mix in a pissy whinny fuck who got diddled as a child, and you have Linkin Park. I have no idea why they are so popular.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#19 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

I have no idea why they are so popular.

One word: "Strategery"
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#20 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:12 PM

you name a band and I probably have something from them on my computer.  Unless it's rare or really unheard of.

Blink 182. I'm talking pre-Enema Of The State.

Edited by JSkater, 06 January 2005 - 11:13 PM.

QUOTE(Arcanis)

#21 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

I have no idea why they are so popular.

One word: "Strategery"

That's great, I love that skit. A bit off topic, but I think that Jimmy Eat World's new album, Futures, is very well done, an improvement from their last album. It's one of those CD's I can listen to and never have to press the "Next Track" or "Last Track" button. About the only CD I have that I can do that with.

"Lockbox."
"I figured out what was wrong with your vacuum. Turns out a half-eaten meatball was clogging up the intake."
"Oh...well, did ya save it?"
"Uh-no."
"...You bastard."
-Family Guy

#22 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:10 AM

Blink 182...

Good band.
~Halfling

#23 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

GAH....THIEF.

I don't listen to much music in general. What I do have to say is that most music you hear is done on a formula. Of course none of them have been really blatant. I think my problem with most music is that very few people have the balls anymore to make good music. Sometimes it means going outside what you know will be successful.

I'll be killed for saying this, but if you listen to Outkast, you'll find a group that will actually tread outside whats expected of them. It's rough when you get a contract, you have to do certian things. Fortunetly some groups are able to diversify themselves and still play well. Thats what makes a good musician.

Nickleback does not do that. But if you really want to charge a band with just flat out sucking, lets talk about Linkin Park. There is a band with very little talent. Take three chords, add generic scratching, add generic white boy who chants more then raps, mix in a pissy whinny fuck who got diddled as a child, and you have Linkin Park. I have no idea why they are so popular.

Talio.

Talio and his infinite wisdom. You and Janga always know the right thing to say.

#24 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:56 PM

..I have no idea why they are so popular.

Possibly because they listen to what they want to, and don't let people like you get them down?
QUOTE(Arcanis)

#25 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

Possibly because they listen to what they want to, and don't let people like you get them down?

If only I could stress to you how wrong you are about that. People don't listen to what they want to (I'm talking majority here, not ALL), they listen to what corporate America wants them to. What you hear on the radio a billion times a day is whatever was paid for to be played on the radio a billion times a day. Guess what? Those local radio stations you like are all owned by one of two major communication companies. I'm talking every major local radio station nationwide. That's why we can all bitch about what we hear too much of everyday. In california they are playing the same songs too much as they are here in NJ. A study was done on humans to test the effect of repetion on the brain. Generally, if the brain hears something it is slightly familiar with in some way, it tends to latch onto it... this pretty much translates into the person hearing will like it. So how do you make a song familiar sounding to the point where the general public will enjoy it you ask? You pay the companies who own the radio stations (and MTV and VH1 etc) to play those songs X number of times a day for a certain period of time. You hear the song enough times during the day, your brain will recognize the patterns and more often than not, you will like it. Another way to take advantage of this is to write songs that sound similair to others (hence this topic) or play a cover tune. Of course, this same theory can cause someone to dislike music just the same if the brain assocaites the patterns with something bad (like a song that you hate, or a song that was playing while something bad happened, etc.).

Now, clarity: I'm not saying that you will only like songs your brain will recognize in some way, i'm just saying it is a proven method that record labels use to sell their music. I'm also not saying this works all the time, but it sure does help the record companies get those songs stuck in your head so that you go aquire them.

So basically what I'm saying to you, Jskater, is if Waner Brothers Records hadn't gone and paid out the ass to have Crawling played on the radio once an hour on every station nationwide, you probably wouldn't be terribly fond of them. In fact, they'd probably still be playing bar gigs. You like what they want you to like. Sad but true.

Talio, I hate rap. I do, however, have to agree with you... Outkast really is a fairly incredible group in the sense that they really do break some boundaries and play something that might actually be what they want to play. It is rather impressive.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users