General Stefan Questions/comments

stefans

8 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy Joe

Greasy Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

i have been messing around with the way i was told to make darts (3in backer 2 size bb fishing weighs and hot glue) and got realy confused.
i made a few 2 in ones with a size 3/0 weight(little bigger) and it fires very well out of my airtech 2000, but flops out of my night finder.
so my question is... wtf?
my education in physics and aerodynamics are lil to nil.
whats a good size for a home made, and what weights do you use? or do i have my 3in, 2 size bb weights, right and my gun wrong.

#2 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:35 PM

i made a few 2 in ones with a size 3/0 weight(little bigger) and it fires very well out of my airtech 2000, but flops out of my night finder.
so my question is... wtf?

What barrels are you using on your NF and 2k? I use 2" 3/0 Stefans in both of those guns, and they work fine.

#3 Greasy Joe

Greasy Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

1/2 brass, 6ish long. is my NF defective? i do have a 1 and 1/2 inch sping i dont know where it came from :nugget:

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:16 PM

NF gets crap for range unless you have a nested brass barrel or (not quite as good) a constricted barrel.

Basically, if your darts go in relatively easily, they won't work in a spring gun regardless of the weight you use.

Also, if you bought something labeled as 1/2" it's probably copper not brass, but disregard this if you know for a fact it's brass. The brass we generally use is K&S brand and isn't sold in the plumbing section.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Greasy Joe

Greasy Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:22 PM

a nested brass and constricted barrel both confuse me more.

and are you saying they need to be a tight fit for a spring gun? or a real easy one?

#6 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:35 AM

Cx, my NF doesn't get crap ranges...and somehow I didn't do anything special (Rag's PETG mod cept with 9/16 brass...).

Anyway, nested brass is basically telescoping brass (you have a main barrel and one that fits snugly inside it.) The idea is for the dart to have a hard time moving at first, thus building pressure. My explanation is so nebulous that even I don't understand it, so I'd advise you to look at the Mods link up top, or just search for 'nested brass,' using the search function. Although the NerfHaven NF mod doesn't nest brass, there are other mods that do, so take a look at those. If you still don't understand, then let us know.

Constricted barrel: A smaller diameter on your barrel.

I'd STRONGLY advise you to read Cx's Darts and Barrels article (under Articles). I found it pretty helpful.

AA
Indiana '11

#7 Greasy Joe

Greasy Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:35 AM

i understand it more or less. ill check the nested brass out and maby give that a try. so it all needs to be a sung fit for a spring gun.
the articles... are missing or somthing, there not up right now. so when there back on ill take a look.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

They're in the Articles forum now, not the articles directory on the site.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 ACLakeside

ACLakeside

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:19 AM

Edit: Nevermind, Cx beat me.

Edited by ACLakeside, 23 December 2004 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users