Photo

Sliding Tubing

10 replies to this topic

#1 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:03 AM

Since I'm tired of using and buying brass for just its sliding capabilities, has anyone found a combination of pvc/electric conduit that slides well with one another? You know how 17/32 and 9/16 brass slides well with each other and creates a good seal, no gaps, but not too tight? Well I need some PVC to do that. I know bolt master zero got a working combo, but I don't remember what he used. I have a home depot and a lowes nearby so I don't want to order from any online PVC specialty stores.

thanks for any help (*ahem bolt master zero* ^_^)
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#2 Goat

Goat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:41 PM

I'm not sure, but I think that there's some acrylic pipes that fit really well, I think it's the pipe that fits megas and the pipe that fits micros.
Bag it.-C.S.I.

#3 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

If you mean tight as in like, no air escapes, I can't help you. But boltsniper used two peices of pvc for his bolt action on his rifle. I know it's probalby not what you want if you want something air tight.

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

Theres a size of brass that fits reasonably well within .5"PVC, but I don't know if it's as perfectly airtight as two pieces of brass that are once size off from each other. Aside from that I can't think of any standard pvc sizes that would fit well together that slide, although there are a few that could be forced within one another with a good hammer for a permanent connection.

Edited by Langley, 15 December 2004 - 06:52 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

16mm conduit usually fits in 20mm conduit, but most of conduit sizes fit inside each other over and over.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's what I've discovered with my conduit.

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#6 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:15 PM

You want it to be 1/2 pvc so that you can can shoot megas? I haven't found any yet but if I do I shall tell you. <_<

#7 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:35 PM

You want it to be 1/2 pvc so that you can can shoot megas? I haven't found any yet but if I do I shall tell you. <_<

He didn't mention anything about shooting megas, and 1/2" PVC is pretty common.

#8 BoltMasterZero

BoltMasterZero

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:30 AM

thanks for any help (*ahem bolt master zero* <_<)

Don't look at me! ;) I haven't found a good combination. Best thing I'd say to do would be to use 1/2 PVC and 1/2 CPVC. I usually use my dremel to widen 1/2 PVC so it can fit 1/2 CPVC in it. However, that won't go very deep so if you want more then 1/2in. of overlap or so, you'd have to sand the 1/2 CPVC instead.

Edited by BoltMasterZero, 16 December 2004 - 07:30 AM.

#9 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:37 AM

I am just looking for a cheapo alternative to using brass so much in each and every gun I make, well excluding the barrel.

Thanks for the info peeps, I think I will try my luck again at my conduit section of lowes/home depot for 16 and 20 mm. If not I guess I will take the sanding approach.. which sounds painstakingly rediculous already!
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#10 BoltMasterZero

BoltMasterZero

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:05 PM

If not I guess I will take the sanding approach.. which sounds painstakingly rediculous already!

Yea, its a pain. However, you should not have to sand very much off to get it too slide. I can sand down a barrel in 1 to 3 minutes depending on the length.

#11 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:40 AM

19/32" Brass is the size that fits in 1/2" PVC.
19/32 would be the size for the "gripping" stage of a telescoping brass barrel, assuming that it works like 9/16 and 17/32, which are neighbooring sizes.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users