... Waay too thin

15 replies to this topic

#1 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:53 AM

Well, heres my problem

Some of you might know that I live in the Philippines. Well, somehow I scraped together a group of friends and got them interested, so now there is a small community here. Thankfully, there is an abundance of hardware stores here, so we can find most of what we need. (The exceptions being Goop and brass)

Well, the FBR here Sucks.

It's about three millimeters too thin for PVC, and as a result we're getting some pretty bad ranges on our guns. (60-70 feet on my SM5K :P ) It's that white/light grey kind I heard mentioned somewhere...

Has anyone found a way for expanding their FBR to fit their barrels? We really don't want to have to order online unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by Oddball, 14 December 2004 - 08:54 AM.

#2 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

The thing with fbr is that if you leave it in the open to expand it will a bit over time: however, it is susceptible of shrinking back under pressure. You could try differences in temperature and see how that affects the fbr, i.e. throw it in the freezer or something.

On a side note if want some brass or something let me know.

#3 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Ender.

I hesitate to get my FBR too cold because we're in the tropics, and the temperature outside as well as the humidity is pretty high here. I worry that my FBR will get worn down if it keeps expanding and contracting because I have to throw it in the fridge before every war.

Leaving it outside would also have its own set of problems, but ill try it out. How long does it take to expand for you, and what's the climate like where you are?

#4 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:55 AM

Well right now it is cold; we have a pretty much seasonal weather here. But I use brass for my barrels and it fits beautifully with my fbr so I donít really worry too much about the size. It is more of a suggestion Iím not sure how it will work for you, just trying to give you a different perspective or maybe something you have not thought of yet.

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:11 AM

It's about three millimeters too thin for PVC

Are you buying FBR sold as 5/8" or 1/2"? Or is it actually sold in metric sizing?

The vast majority of us use 1/2" (nominal) FBR that won't fit all that well in any type of PVC, though SCH80 comes relatively close. This is what caused us to look towards brass and other materials.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

If you are using 1/2" FBR in 1/2" PVC, I suggest making Zero Darts.

Foam Modified
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#7 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:51 AM

He is using Ĺ fbr but ĺ pvc, not sure if Ĺ is available or not, apparently they have a real limited supply to work with. I asked him for his specs so hopefully he will get back to me on that.

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

I'm here in similar weather...and right now it's very very cold....about 70 degrees.

All kidding aside, when I first started to modify Nerf blasters about three years ago, I was in the same dilemma. I bought 1/2" FBR, and it was way too loose to fit 1/2" SCH40 PVC.

What I did was to get 1/2 " wide electrical tape, and build up the dart at the front until the diameter was just under the ID of the PVC pipe, allowing for smooth movement without heavy resistance. Once I found the ideal diameter, I unrolled the tape off the dart, and measured it out on our worktable. I then could use that as a benchmark, varying from dart to dart to insure perfect fit. We got incredible range off of our air-powered blasters (SM 1500s, AT 3000s), though performance was nominal with our spring powered ones (SM 350s).

Later, I discovered that what I did was a variation of what Hunter said, a Zero Dart, but instead of using craft foam as the collar, mine was made of e-tape. Using different colors allowed us to identify darts (beside the fact that many of my darts were curved like hot dogs.)

I now have and use 5/8" FBR to make normal Mega Stefans that fit well in 1/2" PVC, but with 1/2" FBR Micro Stefans I'm still using SCH 80 (dark gray) PVC risers (threaded on both ends), and an experimental plastic barrel material for spring powered weapons, until I can get my hands on more brass (only have one tarnished piece, now living in a Nite Finder).

Hope that sheds some light for you. Good luck.

-Piney-

EDIT; I'm just wondering if it IS his FBR that's not good. I had a new glass storefront door installed over the weekend, and the crew left me a spool of some leftover FBR that was 1 INCH in diameter! BUT...it was really soft, and had no rigidity that would lend itself to making a good, large dart. Humm.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#9 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:12 PM

Ive never done this, but my guess is it should work... Try getting slightly too big FBR if you can. When you heat it it should shrink as it melts. You can also rub it with your hands and pull evenly to lengthen and thin the FBR.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:20 PM

The only way to achieve and maintain a good dart/barrel fit is to buy a shitload of FBR in whatever size is available to you, then find a barrel material that works well with it.

The cost of buying a few hundred feet of FBR up front is negligible compared to the hassle of re-modding your entire arsenal when they change the size on you.

#11 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:55 PM

^_^ oOo Philippines ... What lovely, lovely weather to nerf in. *Shudders* Oh how much I hate humid weather.

I'd be happy to ship you some from the mainland [Australia] if you want.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#12 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:51 AM

Actually, we use 1/2 PVC, it was kinda late when I PMed you, Ender.

Thanks for all the advice, ill try that 5/8's stuff...
(That retarted "Lil's House of Foam" hasn't restocked ANYTHING in like three months, so I've been trying to find a way to work with the foam we have..)

Cx, it's 1/2' FBR, but it's retarted ^_^

#13 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

Well Odd ball I can get the K&S brass 19/32 in 12 inch sections for 2.15 and the 17/32 X 12 inch for 2.05 a foot. Just let me know who much you want and Iíll get it together and we can figure out the shipping.

#14 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

I love you man. I just wanted to say it publicly. I love you.

#15 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:44 AM

PVC sold as 1/2" is generally 5/8" ID.

Measure it some time.

Nobody uses 1/2" FBR in 1/2" SCH 40 PVC without some sort of collar on the dart.

#16 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

Just let me know how many feet you want of the brass and of which size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users