I need your help

21 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 03:56 PM

If you do a national thing, I have a list of a few nerfers by clan, and there should be a thread on this site that I got some of the info from.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:26 PM

name, NH alias, main weapon, full arsenal, location (LA, OC, SD, etc.), 200x200 picture for ID purposes, web site (if you have one)

Ray (if you really need a last name, i'll PM it to you)
Rawray7
Crossbow
Crossbow, 2 PC's, 5000, 4 SM 750s, 2 Broken Crossbows, 2 SM 1500s, 2 AT 2000, 2 AT 3000, EaB, i think that's it.
LA, more specifically Pasadena
i don't have a pic or a website, but i am sure you have a picture of me.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#3 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:40 PM

I think you should extend it to WorldWide, and we could make an online database, with the same searchable things you said, and possibly country and state. If you did, I'd submit info.

The only thing that seems kinda hard to list would be my full arsenal. I have a whole bunch of shit lying around and I'd forget most of it. However, you could do (for online use) a section called "Guns for sale/trade" and/or "Guns wanted", which would ultimately increase trade.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#4 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:34 PM

I kinda have that on FF. (It's down now). Merl had something really similar. I'm a north Cali nerfer so I guess you don't care about me.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#5 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:50 PM

...For example, for Southern California, *I* think it would be cool to type in LA (Los Angeles), SD (San Diego), or OC (Orange County), and get counts for nerfers in each of those counties. Extrapolate that and I can imagine searching for OH for Ohio, NJ for New Jersey, VA for Virginia, CA for Canada, etc. But would that be useful? I don't know. Should I create separate location fields for city, county, state? I don't know. Would it be useful at all to find all the nerfers with crossbow as their primary weapon? I don't know. Should I add clan names? None of the SoCal nerfers I know belong to a 'clan' per se, so what would I enter for them? "Not applicable"? I don't know....

I think you should have info in all of those fields. That way, someone could search any of them. You could have multiple search fields that organize the search.

Such as:

Field one:
Field two:
Field three:

The entry in field one is the first thing searched, then field two, and then field three, allowing for a more advanced search.

Such as:

"Search for nerfers....
F1: Using Crossbows
F2: California
F3: Los Angeles.

Your search has returned these nerfers:

*names here (dont know any)*

All of the names would fit the descriptions entered in an exact match search.

Now, my trading/buying/selling idea. I figured this would help speed up the process. In your database profile, you input what guns you are willing to Sell, Sell/Trade, Trade, or Buy. Then, a person can search.

F1: Selling Splitfire
F2: Located in USA
F3:

Your search has returned these nerfers:

*names here*

That would be really cool! I think it would take some simple Java or php programming, but I think you guys could pull it off, and it would be really neat.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#6 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:04 AM

Evan

Superadaquabat, though i go by SkaBoy and Adaquabat as well.

Expand-A-Blast

Secret Shot 2, four 750's, two powerclips, an eagle eye, a 1500, a 5000, a 3000, a basic homemade, and a ball blaster.

Los Angeles

Haven't got any picture sorry

Haven't got any website sorry.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:14 AM

Haven't got any picture sorry

I do.

Muahahahahahaha!

Posted Image
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:02 AM

Being a skip i no plenty of australian (victorian) nerfers so PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ do an INTERNATIONAL ONE...

it would rock do have this database...

rok on.....nerf on....
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 04:12 PM

For example, for Southern California, *I* think it would be cool to type in LA (Los Angeles), SD (San Diego), or OC (Orange County), and get counts for nerfers in each of those counties. Extrapolate that and I can imagine searching for OH for Ohio, NJ for New Jersey, VA for Virginia, CA for Canada, etc. But would that be useful? I don't know. Should I create separate location fields for city, county, state? I don't know. Would it be useful at all to find all the nerfers with crossbow as their primary weapon? I don't know. Should I add clan names? None of the SoCal nerfers I know belong to a 'clan' per se, so what would I enter for them? "Not applicable"? I don't know.

Yes, location by county would be usefull for new members who don't know if there are already nerfers in their area, and yes, what weapon/s the nerfer uses would also be usefull. For example, if my RF20 were broken, I could easily search for other people who have one and ask them specifically if they've had similar problems.

You could solve the clan problem by grouping nerfers by local events. In the same space in the database, nerfers from middletown (from my group) would have LGLF in that field, while other nerfers may have LANO or VANO in that field.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#10 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

Eh, I think that being able to search by State is good enough for loc. Once you get into county/town/local sports team you're just asking for more work than neccessary. Our small contingent of internationl Nerfers should be able to track down any other Nerfers hiding in their area, I doubt that there are that many Nerfers in Ireland that would require a database to search though, and city search is just making it too easy for lazy and incompetant people. I mean, if I do a search for Nerfers in "Texas" and lets say I get like.... 20 hits back, I should just be able to look at each one's bio/blurb and decide for myself if they're close enough to be worth contacting. And if you're a newb who can't tell if San Fransico is near San Diego or if Houston is near the Alamo then you probably aren't competant enough to mod your guns..... which means you're not worth my time as a Nerfer.... piss off and go, I dunno, duct tape your smaller gun to your larger gun and pretend you're in the LCM...... w00 h00. Ehhh. I need to go home and play Shadowbane.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#11 Batman

Batman

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:32 PM

Um, I'm in So Cal. I'm Batman. My real name is Batman. And My primary is an SM5k... And my county I thnik is LA. Either that or SB. But I'm not to sure on that. Put this as the website for now, but note that it's under heavy construction. Desert Storm
www.Gainsae.com

#12 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

julie, maybe it's just my computer, but when i go to that link, i see the headings for the table, and then no entries.

#13 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 12:12 AM

a good example of why the government should arrest microsoft: when went to go run that update, it told me that my computer couldn't install that, because it was windows 95. i mean, what's the point of the update if the people who need it aren't allowed to get it? when progressing through a series of operating systems (or anything for that matter), one needs to stay consistent with older versions. what buttholes. computers could be much easier to handle if Bill Gates hadn't 1) decided to monopolize the sector by making nothing compatible. 2) years ago, hired all of the good computer scientists working for other companies. then, after buying them off of other companies, paying them not to develop new concepts.

well...i'll check out the database later on a different computer.

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:03 PM

Microsoft recently (like 6-8 months ago I believe) stopped officially supporting Win 95, WinNT and (I believe) Win 98. It's an effort to push people to upgrade to the vastly superior Windows XP. My computer enthusiast side thinks people still running Win95 really don't deserve updates anyway, but my rational side still thinks it was kind of crappy for MS to drop the ball. Not suprising though.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#15 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 08:45 PM

spoon, to tell you the truth, the only reason i use 95 is for networking capabilities. i tried to upgrade, but my network wouldn't read my comp, so i reverted. everything in between 95 and XP sucks at networking with higher/lower computers. i am not completely in the dark age, i have two Pentium 4 computers with XP at my house, but the one that is "mine" is a win 95 Pentium 2.

#16 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:05 PM

Perhaps windows 95 doesn't have the capabilities to run explorer 6, just as your browser doesn't have the capabilities to utilize xml. You've sort of got to update everything or nothing. Its not really Microsoft's fault either. They make new opersating system's in order to make use of new technologies, like windows 98 using USB. If you've got windows 95 and a USB device, its not Microsoft's fault, its technolodgies I guess. Why not try getting new networking hardware designed for XP rather than 95?
Happiness is a foam gun.

#17 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:56 PM

i guess your right. i still think that they should make everything backwards compatible. and the networking hardware and software was designed for XP.

#18 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:06 PM

I feel your pain but it's backwards compatability that has held MS back all these years.

Completely new operating systems like BeOS are light years ahead of Windows in terms of... everything. Unfortunately, MS has the monopoly thing down cold and there's really no chance for competition.

Windows NT was a breakthrough for MS. It was stable enough to use as a server and did it's job well. MS accomplished this by grabbing the team that wrote VMS and telling them to write a server version of Windows that didn't have to be thoroughly backwards compatible. Windows 2000 and XP are a continuation of this trend. They took the stable NT core and started forcing all the software and hardware manufacturers to support something new.

Considering there have only been two completely new versions of Windows since the 3.1 days, MS is doing pretty well.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#19 Batman

Batman

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:12 PM

Lol. I'm sorry Ray. I know what its like to have an outdated computer. And until Christmas, I did have one of those. I found it best to go to the windows update program that every windows program has in it. It automatically finds the updates for YOUR computer. So you might be able to find a way to get around those striaght updates that really don't check your computer.
www.Gainsae.com

#20 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 12:05 AM

I feel your pain but it's backwards compatability that has held MS back all these years.

i agree in some ways. i think that being backwards compatible is important, but microsoft goes about it in a completly wrong way. i think that the newer versions should just be able to have a program for coverting files from (for example) the old Word to the new Word. (word is backwards compatible, but what i am complaining about is mostly networking and sharing properties). computers really could be hundreds of times better than they are now. when i first saw linux, it blew my mind. it really did, i was so impressed at the flexibility of the operating system. windows is designed to not be flexible, to hold their monopoly. a good example of this: i could not install a canon digital camera on my XP machine. i downloaded everything from canon and everything from microsoft to get it to work, it wouldn't work. then i looked on the list of cameras that could be installed, which included every brand i had ever heard of except for canon. i checked it out on the internet, and it turns out that the only reason i can't install that camera is because canon chose not to pay microsoft to include their cameras.

sorry to get this whole thing off topic

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 02:35 PM

I found it best to go to the windows update program that every windows program has in it. It automatically finds the updates for YOUR computer.

I don't think Windows Update supports Win95 anymore either.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#22 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:35 PM

Back on NerfOnline last year, I had a small database with Nerfers, their contact info (e-mail, AIM), clans, and states... http://www.nerfplayerpages.50megs.com

There's some you can add on, I don't really feel like maintaining it anymore...

~Mystic~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users