Anyone?

17 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

Now, while I don't own the game, I do know enough about it. And if you're like me, I'm assuming you've seen Sephiroth's massive masamune. Well, it's on sale, as well as Cloud's Buster sword. Sephiroth's masamune is 6 feet long, and Cloud's Buster sword is at around 3 feet (blade length), probably 4 feet with handle. Now, I realize how pointless this post is, but I'd just like to share my love for final fantasy weapons with any other fans of the game out there.

The masamune

The Buster sword

My apologies if this was a waste of anyone's time, but I'm drooling over the masamune at the minute- even if it is only J2 stainless steel.

Yes, I have an obsession with swords.

~ompa

#2 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

The Buster Sword is cool, but that Masamune is just dumb. Its really an ugly sword, the only thing it has going for it is length. Im not saying the sword from the game is dumb, just I would never buy a real version unless it was a quality, folded, hand-made blade. For me to buy a sword that isnt well made it at least needs to be aesthetically pleasing, not just big. *shrug*
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:09 PM

It's not THAT bad looking, and J2 stainless is designed to be a display sword anyways. I'm just saying they are cool, nothing more.

If I want practicality, I'd go for the Hanwei series- as of now, I'm looking at practical katanas, they seem to have a good record and good materials; 1060 steel, forged, with clay-tempering. And they look cool, and the blade length is right for me at 27 inches.

~ompa

#4 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:51 PM

I think I just creamed myself over those swords.

It's fucking sweet that they finally came out with them! Now to find out about how get the money to buy a Buster Sword, and possibly the Masamune as well.

As for a practical weapon, I think I'll stick to a decent semi auto rifle, like a semi auto AK-47, or a Ruger Mini 14, once I get the money. They both cost about as much as a high-quality battle-ready sword anyways. (I don't mean to insult the almighty sword, it's just that I have different priorities in collecting weapons)
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#5 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:09 PM

Eh, Hanwei practicals cost about $130 at Lorengraves. It's not like I'm going to need a sword of any higher quality anyways; 1060 tempered steel is enough to cut through brush.

I like the Buster sword, but the sheer weight of the blade on that tiny handle kinda creeps me out.

~ompa

#6 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:23 PM

Eh, Hanwei practicals cost about $130 at Lorengraves. It's not like I'm going to need a sword of any higher quality anyways; 1060 tempered steel is enough to cut through brush.

I like the Buster sword, but the sheer weight of the blade on that tiny handle kinda creeps me out.

~ompa

$130? Damn, that's a bargain for a practical sword. At that price, I might consider buying a battle-ready sword before I get another gun.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:29 PM

http://fleshwound.lorengraves.com/

That's the link to buy it for $134.

Any other suggestions for practical swords under that price are greatly appreciated.

~ompa

#8 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Oh my, the Buster Sword...........

::drool::

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#9 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:37 PM

That Buster Sword looks awesome!

#10 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:47 AM

The problem with many swords is that they will crack from the force of a well-trained artist's swing, even when they dont make contact with any object. Its because of the curvature of the blade. Im no master, but I (well used to) be able to swing fast enough that it snapped my first iaito blade and stuck the end in my wall.

#11 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:45 AM

I am a sword fan, hands down, but those two swords didn't impress me. I'm personally a fantasy sword lover, and I love Kit Rae. The House of Knives is a great place to drool over new custom, hand-made swords. I don't like futuristic swords, I really stick to medieval or pre-medieval swords, back when sword making was a labour of love for just one smith.

I'll never forget my grade 8 essay of swords... 4500 words. I even built the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda series; it was sweet.

Edited by Black Wrath, 10 December 2004 - 07:49 AM.

Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#12 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

BW, then you're probably not a final fantasy fan. Final fantasy fans are the ones that drool over the sword, like me in a sense. I know neither one is fancy, and both lack the feature that make true katanas, well, cool. It's just the sheer implausibility of using them, and the final fantasy link, that make them cool in my opinion.

~ompa

#13 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Woah, that site rocks!

Ill take one of these...
Posted Image

#14 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

Those claws would be cool if they had a brace against the back of your hand or your wrist.

#15 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:02 AM

Also, has anyone seen FFVII: Advent Children?
From Gamespy:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (PSP)
Long rumored to be a standard videogame sequel to the ultra-popular Final Fantasy VII, Advent Children is instead a direct-to-video DVD movie featuring CGI design rendered by the wizards at Square-Enix behind the FVM sequences in previous FF videogames. The movie takes place two years after the end of the PS One game.

Published for availability on both DVD and PlayStation Portable UMD.

ARG! I wish they'd have just re-done the game (and actually finished it) But no! it's a MOVIE!

Screenies:

http://media.ps2.gam...155/imgs_1.html

Edited by texmustache, 11 December 2004 - 11:04 AM.

#16 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:53 PM

Who the hell thought that was going to be a video game? They've had info on that movie for like 2 years now...

Go to AdventChildren.com...
Name's Ash, Housewares

#17 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

Who the hell thought that was going to be a video game?

I suppose Gamespy did. Personally, i hadn't heard of it.

#18 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:29 PM

I've watched those trailers more times than there are days in a year. I can't wait for the release.

~ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users