Photo

Using A Silencer

20 replies to this topic

#1 nerfcrusader

nerfcrusader

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:42 PM

Im getting ready to make a homemade with a silencer attached. should I shorten the length of the barrel to attach the silencer, or does it make no difference?
Drummer and songwriter of Governor

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:47 PM

I hope you know that silencers don't affect nerfing. So, if you are using it to hide a big barrel yes, you should shorten the length of the barrel, but if you are trying to make a real silencer, no keep the barrel the way that it is.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

Don't shorten the barrel.

~ompa

#4 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:22 PM

Eh, ignore that first part. I completely just spaced and didnt include pump guns, which your homemade probly is.

How are you planning on making it? If you are just drilling holes in a pipe dont shorten the barrel. If you are making an actual silencer that has chambers for the... air, erm, then I suppose you could shorten the barrel some since you wont lose pressure immediately assuming the chambers of the silencer are small.

Edited by >Fuse<, 08 December 2004 - 10:00 PM.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#5 nerfcrusader

nerfcrusader

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

well I was going to just use the design on this website, but if it does jack squat for a homemade, screw it

#6 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:37 PM

I hope you know that silencers don't affect nerfing. So, if you are using it to hide a big barrel yes, you should shorten the length of the barrel, but if you are trying to make a real silencer, no keep the barrel the way that it is.

The sound from nerf guns is all from the mechanics, so a silencer wont do jack for you, but if you want to go ahead.

You're both quite wrong. Silencers work very well on pump guns (and spring guns that are internally dampened), as all but about 2 dB of the noise is the pop of the dart leaving the muzzle.

nerfcrusader, don't shorten the barrel. A silencer actually decreases range a bit (it decelerates air leaving the muzzle), so you don't want to sacrifice more range by decreasing the length of the barrel. A bit of advice: I would attach it to the muzzle with a coupler, so you can remove the silencer if you want.

#7 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:33 PM

The sound from nerf guns is all from the mechanics, so a silencer wont do jack for you, but if you want to go ahead.

You're both quite wrong. Silencers work very well on pump guns (and spring guns that are internally dampened), as all but about 2 dB of the noise is the pop of the dart leaving the muzzle.

nerfcrusader, don't shorten the barrel. A silencer actually decreases range a bit (it decelerates air leaving the muzzle), so you don't want to sacrifice more range by decreasing the length of the barrel. A bit of advice: I would attach it to the muzzle with a coupler, so you can remove the silencer if you want.

Agreed. We've had this discussion many times before. We also came upon the decision that the best possible design was to drill the holes such that they slowly got smaller as it went back towards the gun. And, of course, wrap with some foam sheet, but there was debate on this, experiment and see what works best for you.

And search, i can't be bothered at the moment, but there was a recent thread with some very useful images and discussion.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#8 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:56 PM

Exactly. Dittoes to the hole thing. I've built a silencer for my pump-powered homemade. It's nowhere near silent, but it's more of a dull thump instead of a loud bam. In short, silencers work, but they aren't perfect. Yet.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#9 notorious oxide

notorious oxide

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

i made a silencer for my basic homemade.
i made it because my ears would ring after shooting at 80 psi.
i had heaps of pvc lying around.
i ended up using 8 inches of 20mm pvc with holes drilled in it and wrapped in insulation (safe stuff w/o fiber glass) and covered with 8 inches of 55mm pvc.
it fits on my 15mm barrel and makes a really big diference in sound.
i didnt modify the barrel in anyway and im still getting the same ranges as w/o the silencer

Edited by notorious_oxide, 09 December 2004 - 12:54 AM.

-------
COREY

#10 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:06 AM

If you would like to hide a big barrel, you don't need to cut it at all - just make a mock silencer so it slides over the barrel.
If you are making a working silencer, it will work effectively with the right sciences taken into account. There's; where the air's going to go, how much air is coming out, etc.

Silencers will work very well if made correctly - I made one that actually silenced the whole air movement (the trigger noises were still there, but that's inevitable) and when I shot the dart, I thought I hadn't pumped it - it then hit the wall.

So, yea, good luck with it all. If you would need any help, do not hesitate to ask us.

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#11 nerfcrusader

nerfcrusader

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the help. My real question was if the silencer affected range. But youve already answered it. I'll start working on it in a few days.

#12 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:53 PM

Zero's Silencer Writeup
This is a good place to start. Felt works well in Zero's design. A hole-y tube with foam pipe insulation around it works well too.

#13 nerfcrusader

nerfcrusader

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

That's the silencer model I looked up before I started this post and is the model I plan on using.

#14 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Zero's Silencer Writeup
This is a good place to start. Felt works well in Zero's design. A hole-y tube with foam pipe insulation around it works well too.

Wait, don't real silencers have holes in a piece of "pipe" the same ID as the barrel? Otherwise the air would just escape around the bullet when the bullet reached the larger silencer tube. Has anyone tried Zero's silencer because I have a feeling that it might not work with the piece of pipe that has the holes in it is 3/4". But if the pipe on the silencer with holes in it was the size of your barrel, the dart wouldn't have enought momentum to make it throught the barrel with all the friction and no air presure behind it and it would probably get caught on the holes. Just my two cents on this issue.

#15 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:35 PM

Silencers work but I don't really see the need except for looks or the novelty of it being "queit." Silencers are still very cool though and are easy to make.

#16 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:16 AM

Wait, don't real silencers have holes in a piece of "pipe" the same ID as the barrel?
Has anyone tried Zero's silencer because I have a feeling that it might not work with the piece of pipe that has the holes in it is 3/4". But if the pipe on the silencer with holes in it was the size of your barrel, the dart wouldn't have enough momentum to make it throught the barrel with all the friction and no air pressure behind it and it would probably get caught on the holes.

Firearm silencers usually are a tube two-ish times the bore diameter, with plates set across the tube with a hole in the middle slightly larger than bore, and lined up with the muzzle.
As the silencer is fitted over the muzzle, the dart would not normally be propelled past that point anyway, so you aren't losing pressure/motive force. By the time a dart reaches the silencer, its momentum will carry it through.
3/4" is quite a bit bigger than the diameter of a micro, so it's not going to catch.

#17 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:26 PM

Zero's Silencer Writeup
This is a good place to start.  Felt works well in Zero's design.  A hole-y tube with foam pipe insulation around it works well too.

Wait, don't real silencers have holes in a piece of "pipe" the same ID as the barrel? Otherwise the air would just escape around the bullet when the bullet reached the larger silencer tube. Has anyone tried Zero's silencer because I have a feeling that it might not work with the piece of pipe that has the holes in it is 3/4". But if the pipe on the silencer with holes in it was the size of your barrel, the dart wouldn't have enought momentum to make it throught the barrel with all the friction and no air presure behind it and it would probably get caught on the holes. Just my two cents on this issue.

I made mine based off of Zero's design. It doesn't affect the range, and the silencer works... kinda. It's more of a muffler than a silencer, but it still looks (and sounds) cool. I suspect that with a real gun or a high-pressure system it wouldn't work very well.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#18 notorious oxide

notorious oxide

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

i could be wrong here, but il say it anyway.
with the silencer, the larger the gap between the dart and the pvc (or wutever you made the silencer out of) the less efetctive it would be in reducing sound
-------
COREY

#19 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

I think you scored low in Mavis Beacon due to your accuracy. :nugget:

From what I have noticed with the blaster directly beneath in the next paragragh, you are for the most part right. However, with a tight fitting silencer, there is the possibility of a slower dart caused by the unreliable friction of the tight bore.

My "silenced" AT3k; by using the directions (slightly moddified for my use) on this site works magnificantly. It is inaudible past 10 feet. As long as I keep all moving parts lubed and the case tight, no squeaks are heard by the enemy while in hiding.

Firearm silencers are different. First off, they don't "silence" anything, unless its a .22 with subsonics. They draw out the pressure behind the bullet, causing a report of around 90 dB or less and what sounds more like a pneumatic nail driver going off. The most "silenced" suppressor is found on HK's MP5SD series, whose internals are pictured lower. Posted Image
That is an outdated design, found also on early attempts of American/German/Russian designs of silent "spy pistols," which were found with a fixed (non-removable) suppressor, again much like that of the MP5SDs. What I find interesting on the SDs (also found on my AT for obviously different reasons) is what has been done to the barrel: porting just prior to the silencer to drop the bullet's speed to a subsonic level. It eliminates the sonic boom found after the bullet leaves the muzzle, or the need to use 9mm subs, it just depends on how you look at it.

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 10 December 2004 - 07:18 PM.

"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#20 muwyse

muwyse

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:58 PM

Use the Zero Silencer, and the silencer's ID should be the same as the barrel or air will just go around the outside of the dart and not into the silencer.

#21 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

Last post was Dec 10 dude.

Move on.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users