Grammar!

two M's and an A!

19 replies to this topic

#1 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:46 AM

spell the word right, for fuck's sake! there's not much point in posting about grammar when you can't even spell it.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:13 AM

Or better yet, don't post about it unless you're Ompa.

If I see one more person bitching about a post with one or two errors I swear I will flip out on the fucker.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

You're not one to talk for not even using caps. You can bitch and moan about grammar and spelling but you can't take the time to hit shift before a sentence?

You also need to understand most people could care less about grammar, spelling, punctuation. It's about NERF, and aslong as the idea gets accross, who gives a damn?

#4 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:38 AM

it isn't laziness, it's a philosophical issue. i hate capital letters. i think they're ugly and egotistical, and best used for emphasis. before you jump down my throat, i'm a fontographer, i know what i'm talking about.

i was bitching about the misspelling of the word "grammar". not the grammar itself.

#5 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:49 AM

I guess the English language is wrong. While we are not making capital letters, let us take out contractions too. I mean, it could be pretty egotistical if you spelled out the statement in its shorter form, could it not?

No offence, but your philosophy sort of clashes with common sense.
Spectre of the CFM

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

it isn't laziness, it's a philosophical issue. i hate capital letters.

Well NH hates you. It's not personal, it's a philosophical issue.

Please, save your rebellion for something that matters.

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:30 PM

No, it's personal.

#8 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:12 PM

what, precisely would be a good use of my "rebellion"?

spectre: learn another language. any one. then talk about all the "common sense" involved in english. it's so wrong it's amazing anglophones aren't laughed at avery time we open our mouths.
as for common sense, that has nothing to do with this. the established rules of writing aren't common sense, or innate knowledge, they are entirely arbitrary. you only recognize good and bad orthography by feel because you were taught it by rote.

#9 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:06 PM

Your fighting a losing battle, pal.

The reason why we're aiming toward better English on this forum is so that we're more respectable and presentable, compared to other forums. This isn't EnglishForum though, so seriously, settle down.
Indiana '11

#10 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:34 PM

what, precisely would be a good use of my "rebellion"?

Fight poverty, eliminate world hunger, don't ever ride in anything powered by an internal combustion engine. Seriously, this is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's also far more egotistical than any capital letter.

before you jump down my throat, i'm a fontographer, i know what i'm talking about.

I have a driver's license. Does this mean I can justifiably drive on the other side of the road because I think the double yellow lines are egotistical?

You, sir, are a complete Ass Sponge. (Like the emphasis?)
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#11 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:36 PM

On NerfEvolved lies another thread from NerfEvolved that I tried to get okto to clean up his grammar. Its called "custom rf20 trigger"

This is from the post he made on NE:

...the current system is flawed, so i choose not to use it except where it would get me a bad grade or lose me a job...

But I wonder why he wouldn't fix his grammar so a large group of people would respect him.

Anyways, okto, your a fuckcracker.
~Halfling

Edited by 1/2 Newb 1/2 Nerfer, 02 December 2004 - 05:38 PM.

#12 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

wow...*laughs* kids, it's a message board. i'm never going to see any of you...and vice versa.
i'm not a linguistic guerilla, i just personally don't like it. so i don't do it. and it doesn't harm anyone whose opinion i give a bloody fuck about, with the exception of cxwq.

#13 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:55 PM

This entire topic is laughable. Okto, if you're going to complain about how people spell "grammar", atleast be kind enough to spell "every" properly; I've never heard of the word "avery".

If using capital letters is as egotistical as you say, then maybe I should go kill every Latin man on the face of the Earth for letting my forefathers concoct a language based on theirs.

If you don't like the English language, why don't you just type out your posts in french, they don't use capitals very often... oh wait, they do. Come to think of it... if you want to be respected in any way when posting over a message board, in any language, punctuation/spelling/grammar are all must haves. This includes capitals.

You truely look like a child when you post, and your arguements just show how much growing up you've yet to do.

Spectre says:

You're right, it's a miracle we aren't laughed at everywhere we go for using the language properly...oh, wait, no it isn't, because other languages have capitals too! Look! We learned something new today!

And don't pull any of that elitist fontographer crap on me. Nobody cares if it looks better uncapitalized (which it doesn't), it's still wrong. Just because somebody's an architect doesn't mean they can defy the laws of physics and build a skyscraper at a 45 degree angle.

Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#14 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

wow...*laughs* kids, it's a message board. i'm never going to see any of you...and vice versa.
i'm not a linguistic guerilla, i just personally don't like it. so i don't do it. and it doesn't harm anyone whose opinion i give a bloody fuck about, with the exception of cxwq.

You brought this upon yourself. If the fly really really likes that shiny blue light but realizes that it hurts a little bit too late...then too bad for that fly. Deal with it.
Indiana '11

#15 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

While I agree with some of what okto says, I can't help but see the hypocrisy in what he says. (One of) his reasons for not using caps is that he thinks its egotistical, but then how can he go on by using words like this?

... it's amazing anglophones aren't laughed at avery time we open our mouths .... you only recognize good and bad orthography by feel because you were taught it by rote.  i'm a fontographer, i know what i'm talking about.

This is a NERF forum, and if there's anything egotistical I see it's justifying your opinions by making yourself sound more intelligent than your peers.

(-and by peers I mean fellow "Nerfologists", not "Fontographers".)

There are much worse ways to type, but I personally categorize non-capitalization in with the other DIFFICULT TO READ patterns, like CaMeL caps, mis-spelling, no-punctuation, all caps, 1337 speak, etc. Obviously not to the same degree however.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#16 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

wow...*laughs* kids, it's a message board.  i'm never going to see any of you...and vice versa.
i'm not a linguistic guerilla, i just personally don't like it.  so i don't do it.  and it doesn't harm anyone whose opinion i give a bloody fuck about, with the exception of cxwq.

You're right, we are never going to see you. This is all the more reason to act in a presentable manner here. We don't know you, so little things like using the proper case is all we have to judge your character.

If you dont give a bloody fuck about anyone here's oppinion, why do you bother to read the boards? cxwq is a great guy, but I wouldn't hang around here just because I had a hard-on for him. (Oh, by the way, you've got something brown on your nose.)

Edited by >Fuse<, 02 December 2004 - 07:17 PM.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:23 PM

Truly.

For 400 or so posts I never called you on it because your posts were otherwise very well written. It was a non-issue for me so I ignored the CoC violation. When you decided to vent about people who can't spell you brought a bit more scrutiny upon yourself. It's one thing to make an occasional mistake or even bend the rules but something else entirely when you're arguing for the right to be exempt.

At this point, I'd suggest you decide whether you want to follow the rules or post elsewhere.

#18 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:55 PM

Sorry if it was mentioned before, but why is this useless waste of bandwith in GND if anywhere?

#19 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:59 PM

So there's one thread here wasting bandwidth. There's alot more on the other site. Like for example, the 3 separate Stefan topics, all in different forums.

~ompa

#20 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:03 PM

I'm closing this topic before I have a brain aneurysm.

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users