Eab Replacement Spring Not Working

CXWQ what model is the spring you used

5 replies to this topic

#1 mason

mason

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 04:54 PM

the one I got is too powerful so when I pull back it doesn't catch on the catching mechanism, it just goes back. so do you know what model CXWQ used for his replacement spring was or do you know a model of a good replacement spring for the eab

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 05:12 PM

I know what Cxwq used but I'm afraid I can only describe it.

Take the stock EaB spring to OSH. Find compression springs section.

Look for one that is:

90% longer

almost identical diameter

1 or 2 guage heavier wire

slightly larger gap between coils

Purchase. Cut in half.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 04:38 PM

C-882 is what it says on mine, they work very well in Eabs, and SSIIs and probably more stuff I just haven't tested it in other guns.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#4 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

Your spring isn't too powerful. The plunger would break before you'de be to weak to cock it all the way back. Whats hapenning is that the couls are compressing so that there is no way for you to pull it back any more. Heres a really lame picture.

uncocked /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ cocked llllllllllllllllllllll

pretend theres no room between the l' of the cocked picture. Thats whats happeneing and the pulnger is not able to go far enough back to lock. The same thing happened to me so i had to cut the spring way down reducing the effectiveness to the point where i may as well have simply used to old spring. So then i got a new spring with less coils. In my opinion, I'de recomend not cutting your spring and finding one that fits. It's far better to have a flat end on a spring then an angled one. I hope that makes sense. Heres another confusing picture

Good spring l\/\/\/\/\/\l Bad spring /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If you'll notice the good spring has an l on the end and the bad one doesn't. The l distributes the force evenly and simply works better keeping the spring balanced and straight. Always a plus. If they don't have what yout looking for at the hardware store then look in the phonebook for a store specializing in springs. They've gota whole lot more selction than a hardware store would. Good luck, and I hope your happy with the results. I really like my Expand-A-Blast, and it shoots farther then my supermaxx 5000! There may be something wrong with the 5000 though, but still the Expand-A-Blast is just great.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:44 PM

Good explanation!

I would, however, suggest that having a spring with a cut end isn't all that big a deal. What you want to avoid is having to cut it too short for the plunger travel. If you happen to find a spring with perfect qualities in all respects except for length, go ahead and cut it to fit. The only good EaB replacement I've found falls in this category so I didn't have much choice.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 12:53 AM

Thank you. And your right, it is better to have a cut spring that fits tightly in there than an uncut one that leaves a little space and is thus loose. Unfortunately mine does leave space, but it still fires just fine.
Happiness is a foam gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users