Cell Phones

I need help.

21 replies to this topic

#1 JC

JC

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:20 AM

Alright, here's the deal. I'm getting a cell phone soon, and I'd like you guys that know more about them to help me choose, or tell me what's good and what's not. I'm not looking for something too expensive, but I don't want the cheap $20 phone. I'd like it to be color screen, flip or no flip...I don't want a camera in it, but do any of you guys know much about them?

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:32 AM

Oh, there are so many choices.

Do you want a phone/PDA or a PDA/phone by chance?

Do you specifically not want a camera or are you just not interested in having one?

Which provider is good in your area?

Do you want to be able to email from your phone?

Browse the web?

Install third-party applications?

Edit:

The Nokia 6600 is $50 after rebates right now on Amazon. I'm partial to Nokia's quality control and that's a very nice SymbianOS phone. T-mobile is great in SoCal, your results may vary.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

I wouldn't recommend T-Mobile, my friends with it have experienced spotty coverage in most areas. I have Verizon, they have an absolutely huge coverage area, you almost never lose a signal when you're traveling.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:10 PM

See, the problem with that is that 'most areas' is meaningless unless you're in the same basic region. Verizon completely sucks where I am. Tmobile and Sprint are by far the best coverage here.

That's why I asked which providers are good in your area. Just ask a dozen people who live near you which carrier they're using and how the coverage is.

#5 Cadmond

Cadmond

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Motorola V-180 is the phone I got a few weeks ago: its pretty basic, but has a color screen, flip, and cost around $50 dollars with some jumbly junk.. might be more or less without getting a new package, not sure.

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

That's why I asked which providers are good in your area. Just ask a dozen people who live near you which carrier they're using and how the coverage is.

That is probably the most important thing, above looks, features, etc.

There's no sense in having the phone you want with all the things you like about it if it won't even work in your coverage area. Where I live, nothing works except for NEXTEL, and even where I am it's kind of spotty. Out on the ocean it works like a dream, because of all the different cell groups on the different islands overlapping each other.

Even if it means the $20 dollar phone with superior coverage, over the $300 phone that cuts out on you everytime you go into the mall, go with what works.

My NEXTEL i305 is a cheap, rugged, waterproof phone that never lets me down. Even when I drop it from a 35 foot high roof. No camera, no folding down to a size where you lose it in your pocket, no ringing that sounds like damn Britney Spears, no blue LEDs. Just one hell of a phone. Direct Connect isn't too bad, either.

-Piney-

Edited by Pineapple, 24 November 2004 - 01:44 AM.

-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

That is probably the most important thing, above looks, features, etc.

There's no sense in having the phone you want with all the things you like about it if it won't even work in your coverage area. Where I live, nothing works except for NEXTEL, and even where I am it's kind of spotty. Out on the ocean it works like a dream, because of all the different cell groups on the different islands overlapping each other.

Even if it means the $20 dollar phone with superior coverage, over the $300 phone that cuts out on you everytime you go into the mall, go with what works.

My NEXTEL i305 is a cheap, rugged, waterproof phone that never lets me down. Even when I drop it from a 35 foot high roof. No camera, no folding down to a size where you lose it in your pocket, no ringing that sounds like damn Britney Spears, no blue LEDs. Just one hell of a phone. Direct Connect isn't too bad, either.

-Piney-

Ah, a fellow cellphone user who looks more for functionality and practicality. I just have the cheap $20 special my local Cellular One had available. If it falls apart, at least it's insured.

You darn kids and your fancy phones with features you will probably never use. I can see some usefulness in getting a camera phone, but the other features, such as an led that displays messages when you wave your phone, or the ability to play games that are shittier than what you play on your PC's and console systems, is just plain bullshit and a waste of money.

Of course, your first priority should be finding a provider that gives great coverage for a reasonable price. Sprint has a Fair and Flexible plan, in which you get charged simply for the amount of usage that you have every month. In my area, Alltel has some pretty good coverage. If you can find a 1-year contract phone, it's definitely worth looking into, but they are hard to find. If you don't plan to use your phone much (mainly for calling a tow truck, or other emergencies) I would go with a prepaid service like Tracfone or Virgin Mobile. I work at my local Radio Shack during the week, and it's amazing what I have learned about cellphones. Spend some time shopping around, so you can make an informed decision.

Edited by Oroku_Saki, 23 November 2004 - 07:20 PM.

"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#8 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:39 PM

I use a piece of shit Panasonic [GD-92 If that means anything] but i'm looking to upgrade to a Sagem My-v55. Those things are awesome. They cost about $179 [AU] and come with $20 of call credit. They have a camera, which has a better picture quality than almost all of the recent nokias, and has a massive memory size. The phones awesome, and cheap. So are most of the Sagem phones.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#9 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:27 PM

I'm assuming your getin t-mobile since that is what your family has correct? I'm gettin a new one soon as well and it's a color flip phone that's free...but here is one that's pretty dang cool, Here

Edited by Bad_Karma, 23 November 2004 - 08:27 PM.

Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#10 JC

JC

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:17 PM

I'm assuming your getin t-mobile since that is what your family has correct? I'm gettin a new one soon as well and it's a color flip phone that's free...but here is one that's pretty dang cool, Here

Yeah, I have T-Mobile service because that's what my family has, and they aren't changing it. I just want a cell phone that I can download stuff off the internet with (ringtones, games, etc), color screen, etc. Just the basics, but I didn't know if there were any goodies that I might want. I would get one with a camera if it wasn't too costly; now that I think about it, it'd be nice to have. I don't need PDA or anything, just a phone. As far as looks/feel, I hopefully want a flip open that clips on to something rather than going in my pocket. I can't stand that. What kind of price/options do I have now that I've given more details? Do I have to buy a T-Mobile phone to have T-Mobile service? I'm such a n00b. :lol:

Edit: Oh, email would be pretty nice, but I don't need web browsing or other applications, CX. But doesn't that come in the service, not in just the phone itself?

Edited by =JC=, 23 November 2004 - 11:22 PM.

#11 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

Just think how much more i could lurk with WAP!
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#12 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

Do I have to buy a T-Mobile phone to have T-Mobile service? I'm such a n00b. :lol:

Edit: Oh, email would be pretty nice, but I don't need web browsing or other applications, CX. But doesn't that come in the service, not in just the phone itself?

Uhm...Yeahhh...You haft to buy a T-mobile phone if you have a T-mobile plan. What your asking will probably run...200-500$ phone ....yeah...downloading stuff on phones isn't cheap.
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that

#13 notorious oxide

notorious oxide

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:55 AM

i have a nokia 3530 with an optus sim card
-------
COREY

#14 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

I just want a cell phone that I can download stuff off the internet with (ringtones, games, etc), color screen, etc. Just the basics

Those are the basics these days? I honestly dont know why people need these things.

I use a cheap Nokia that was free with my Cingular plan (good service for me in GA). Its not a folder, but its still pretty small. And its not all shiney and silver, so it doesnt show wear as badly. The only cool feature it has, and the only one I need, is a flashlight on the top. Seriously, if you can get a phone with a flashlight its great. I've ended up using mine a lot.

Edited by >Fuse<, 24 November 2004 - 01:15 AM.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#15 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:26 PM

JC, I suggest you go to T-Mobile.com
And look through there to find the ones you want. Since you are gettin a family plan (such as my family) make sure you ask if the phone you are gettin is that same price as advertised (special the ones on sale) because some phones aren't the same price when you gett he family plan.

#16 BeWeird

BeWeird

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

This reminds me: I need your number. I don't have it yet, and that makes me sad. :cry:
I need it. I NEED IT I TELL YOU!11!one!two? :lol:
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
_bW of REN

#17 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

Wow, BW...chill out. You'll see him soon and you can get it...plus, you DO know his home phone...just callh im there and get it...geeze..

#18 BeWeird

BeWeird

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:46 PM

Wow, BW...chill out. You'll see him soon and you can get it...plus, you DO know his home phone...just callh im there and get it...geeze..

Heh... I know. I was just being melodramatic. I probably will just call him. Eventually. :ph34r:
_bW of REN

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:21 PM

I'd still suggest anything by Nokia even though they're not flips. Flips tend to have lower quality speakers and can be prone to failure over time. Nokias just work.

Though it doesn't help with your question at all, I just picked up one of these yesterday and it's terribly cool.

SDIO slot, bluetooth, PalmOS 5.4, mp3 and movie (real player) support, 640x480 camera with excellent optics, qwerty keyboard, and it's actually a damn nice phone as well. The best part is that my old Sprint plan has unlimited data and the phone will connection share via Bluetooth so I can leave the phone in my backpack and still use it to connect to the internet with my laptop.

So geeked out right now.

#20 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

:ph34r:

That's what I looked like after I clicked that link for the Treo 650.

You practically need a semester of ICS to figure all the features out. But I have to admit, very nice. There once was a time when I used to carry a NEXTEL i1000, a Sony Clie PDA, and a digicam for my work. The Treo would fill the bill for all three, and free up lots of pocket space. I don't think even the Blackberry would match up to the Treo's features.

As you can see, JC, it really is up to what features you need/might need after you have determined what cellular service works best in your area. All the excess stuff is just flashy geeky bling-bling.

And PLEASE (pet peeve), no "musical" ring tones! Phones are meant to ring. If you want music, turn on your MP3 player.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#21 JC

JC

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:57 AM

This reminds me: I need your number. I don't have it yet, and that makes me sad. :cry:
I need it. I NEED IT I TELL YOU!11!one!two? <_<

I was just being melodramatic. I probably will just call him. Eventually.

You're worse than the freakin'' 11 year olds.

Yeah, I think Karma's right. Just go to the website, look at my options, and pick somethin' out. Nice phone, CX, but I wouldn't be able to afford somethin' like that. Well I could, I just don't want to. A phone's a phone, I don't need all that jazz. Although it'd be really....really sweet. Anyways, thanks for all the help, guys'n'gal. Good advice, and now I feel comfortable. But not entirely because of you guys, that's because I'm....well never mind.

#22 BeWeird

BeWeird

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:19 PM

I need it. I NEED IT I TELL YOU!11!one!two? :w00t:

I was just being melodramatic. I probably will just call him. Eventually.

You're worse than the freakin'' 11 year olds.

And that's a bad thing? :nugget: w00t.
_bW of REN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users