The Noble Crossbow: First Impression

For Those Of You Who Don't Have One...

36 replies to this topic

#1 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

Up until 3:00 today, i didn't own a crossbow. Well, now i do and i'd like to share with you a first impressions review:

Size:
About 20-24 inches long (It's not huge like the pictures would like you to think) - 8 inches is stock, theres about 4 inches of handle and trigger, and another 8 inches of front. It's about 6-8 inches tall, which is enough to allow a full grip on the handle for many of you. The green cocking handle, which in the pictures would make you think you could get a full hand around it, is actually only tall enough for me to get 3 fingers inside it. So, it's not as big as you would think, but as far as nerf guns go, it is big. It's probably a little longer than the Blast Bazooka. The shell is open in a few parts, and you can see the internals for some of it.

Power:
The reason why the crossbow is so acclaimed. Stock, it is one of the best guns i've seen. It can shoot stock arrows about 30-40 feet (50 angled), for darts, take 5-10 feet off that. Why? Darts don't have a tight fit in the barrel. Stock it would do good for indoor wars, but i'm trying to wait as long as i can before i mod it.

Accuracy:
It's pretty accurate. Arrows are a little less accurate, but you get more range. Darts are accurate enough, if you hold the stock against your shoulder and line it up with the barrel top, you can get a good enough idea where you're shots are going.

Feel: It's good plastic, and feels like the Secret Shot. There is a subtle difference in the feel of the plastic: It's not completely like an airtech. I can hold it comfortably in my hand, and press the stock against my shoulder to take aim. The plastic is curved, and along the grips, there is textured plastic, which adds a nice touch.

Sound:
When you cock it it comes with a good solid click. After firing, there is a ringing noise akin to modded nightfinders - that is the sound of unrestricted goodness.

Should I Buy One?
Two Words: Hell Yeah. This thing rocks. I've spent about 200$ in nerf guns and this is the best 50$ i've spent, period.

Is this post pointless? No, i'm excited getting one and i thought i'd clear things up with those of you who don't have one. Mod pictures lie...if you want to compare size, look at the war gallery.

Edited by texmustache, 15 November 2004 - 06:24 PM.

#2 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:16 PM

I LOVE to cock it, it sounds AWSOME, and you can do it with one hand even.

After you shoot it the ringing part can be silenced I hear, I don't like the sound personally, I like the more muffled sound.

I just got my crossbow today to. -_-

Edited by moosenukem, 15 November 2004 - 05:16 PM.

#3 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

Modding: I'd re-enforce it. I've heard storys of ummoded x-bows snapping at the part of the plunger thing were it cocks.

It rocks! They're way down in price now.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

....was that supposed to be some kind of joke?

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:39 PM

....was that supposed to be some kind of joke?

Not really, but I think he's saying that Crossbow's have never been so easily attainable at such a low price.

I remember used (sometimes broken) Crossbows going for over $100 dollars last year. The fact that, for a short time, they're available NIB for $25-$50 is amazing.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#6 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:46 PM

The fact that, for a short time, they're available NIB for $25-$50 is amazing.

Thanks NSF. Anyways, yeah, the xbow is a lot smaller than it looks, but its still comfortable.

THIRST

Edited by THIRST, 15 November 2004 - 06:47 PM.

ko

#7 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

I was alluding to the irony of NSF commenting on how glad he is that crossbow prices have gone down when he is partly responsible for them having been higher when we first saw them flood the market. I apoligize for being kind of a dick about it, but I did just spend $104 on two crossbows (includeing shipping) and I feel that it's at least somewhat his fault. On top of that the seller is beginning to realize that the price increase wasn't a good idea long term and is now lowering the price because the market is flooded. So ultimately everything will go back to the way it was before NSF frigged it up, except for the people who thought that they were getting a deal and rushed into buying bows when they were still fifty bucks a pop, fearing that they would go quickly.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#8 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

I was alluding to the irony of NSF commenting on how glad he is that crossbow prices have gone down when he is partly responsible for them having been higher when we first saw them flood the market. I apoligize for being kind of a dick about it, but I did just spend $104 on two crossbows (includeing shipping) and I feel that it's at least somewhat his fault. On top of that the seller is beginning to realize that the price increase wasn't a good idea long term and is now lowering the price because the market is flooded. So ultimately everything will go back to the way it was before NSF frigged it up, except for the people who thought that they were getting a deal and rushed into buying bows when they were still fifty bucks a pop, fearing that they would go quickly.

THAT...would be me. Yes, i was suckered in. But whatever, i've spent more on crap, so it doesn't really bother me TOO much (but i still wish it was 25$...)

#9 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:01 PM

NSF :angry:
Well, I'll be selling my crossbows, and I'll make them more affordable.

#10 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

he is partly responsible

Exectly. Partly responsible. I made the suggestion to put up some as a auction, as well as the "buy it now". So yes, I'm partly responsible for the price riase, but it would have happened anyway.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#11 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:44 PM

but I did just spend $104 on two crossbows (includeing shipping)

Geez! I think i saw a four pack of NIB crossbows go for not much over $100.....

--Diego

Edited by Diego, 15 November 2004 - 07:45 PM.

Member of the Chaos Brigade. Home to the Elite Iowa Nerfers.

Known to the clan as Jester.

#12 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

I got a 4-pack for $99. Thanks to everyone who held back on that one. Expect a writeup in the relatively near future.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#13 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

CX, u have no idea HOW BAD i wanted to eat shit u, but I've got nothing but respect for you and the community, and I figured now that you have 4, how many more could u possibly need, so I'm bound to get my own sometime. I hope to see good things from those bows, and I know I will.
I hate you.

#14 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:00 PM

Anyone that's desperate should be seeing some cheap BIN X-Bows on eBay soon :angry:

#15 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:10 PM

Well, I'll be selling my crossbows, and I'll make them more affordable.

How much be ye wantin fer 'em?

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:51 PM

CX, u have no idea HOW BAD i wanted to eat shit u

As noted, I do appreciate the restraint. But I also learned how ebay works and this time my maximum was at $160, not $99. Thanks for not driving my cost up.

#17 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

Jeez, why does everyone get such a boner of the XBow still. I thought the Max Shot was supposed to cure that.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#18 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:28 PM

I have... about a dozen nib max shots.

The max shot is great for power but I can't aim it for shit.

#19 Moose Hunt

Moose Hunt

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:31 PM

Well I got my x-bow when they were going for $50 and it's destined to arrive on wednesday. I am newer to nerf and I am having trouble deciding on how to mod mine. If you can help me at all that would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, cxwq, when will your x-bow mod be going up on-line?
Gosh, Idiot!!!

#20 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

I LOVE cock it s AWSOME and you can do it with one hand even.

Editing is fun! Sorry moose :angry: . Just joking. But to make sure that this post isn't completely pointless, congrats on the x-bow Tex, and what mods are planning for your gun in the future?

Edited by Blaster, 15 November 2004 - 11:37 PM.

"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
— Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#21 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:01 AM

The max shot is great for power but I can't aim it for shit.

Max Shots just aren't cool either. X-bows look alot better, and are easier to aim.

#22 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:23 AM

I'd have to agree. The maxshot sucks balls. It can't fire worth jack. In fact, it belongs in the trash can. Well Cx, ompa and I definitely wouldn't mind taking off that maxshot burden from you!
Indiana '11

#23 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:04 AM

The maxshot sucks balls. It can't fire worth jack.

I hope that's sarcasm...

...else my seven year old son hear you and open up with his (thanks to the one who sold it to me...you know who you are.)

Max Shots are just fine, even as the so-called "noble" Crossbow gets it's second wind with Nerf enthusiasts. But like Iron Rhino said, it isn't as though owning a Crossbow will make you a better Nerfer. You could have four Crossbows and still be a crappy Nerfer.

After the N-Strike sets that I ordered arrive before Thanksgiving (early X-mas gift for my son), I'll think about trying to gaff one or two...the prices are going down, after all.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#24 JC

JC

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:49 AM

Dude, the MaxShot excells over a lot of nerf guns. Yeah, the feel's a little strange, but it's not that hard to aim if you got used to it, it's a spring gun that shoots 90 minimum. Considering the RoF/Range...it's really nice. Also, it's freakin' easy to mod. The spring/plunger/tube is excellent in design, the spring is massive...it's just a well made gun. CX, I wouldn't mind buying one of those off of you....

Whoa...$99 for 4 Xbows? Nice.

Edited by =JC=, 16 November 2004 - 10:53 AM.

#25 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:15 PM

For those who have asked, I will in all probability begin selling some of my Max Shots in the near future. I may do ebay however since I have a whopping total of $10 bid for my brassed SF so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users