Halo 2 Soo Sweet

38 replies to this topic

#26 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:40 PM

First off, the pistol and assualt rifle have evolved. One thing I agree is that the pistol was overly powered in the first Halo. So what they did was make the weapon scheme make more sence. The battle rifle is for medium range sharpshooting, and the pistol and smgs are for close range. The smg is your bullet hose that the assualt rifle was. Now saying the pistols are weak is bullshit. Have you guys not got a head shot yet? You can still get three hit kills. It's harder because of no scope, but god damn at close ranges that thing can ruin your shit. I won't talk about my favorite combos because for now I'm working out stradegies. I only played multiplayer Halo a handful of times, but this one I can see is going to destroy my social life. This game is now my favorite game ever. I don't give a shit about story or graphics. Christ, Jedi Knight has been my favorite game before this one, and mario 3 before that. This game is fun. No if ands or buts. It's a blast to play.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#27 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:44 PM

Don't any of you like The Empire Strikes Back? If a story is obviously in a series, it doesn't need a resolute ending to justify it's existence.

Yea this is the argument every fanboy has made in regards to this game. I want to point out a few things that destroy such an analogy.

#1 I didn't spend an ungodly amount of hours watching Empire Strikes Back
#2 I didn't pay $50 to see Empire Strikes Back
#3 The Star Wars films were intented to be a trilogy (and then some)... while Halo 1 was a stand alone game with a beginning, middle, and end. It's ending gave you a sense of accomplishment, while this game's ending feels like you've been robbed of any such resolution.

You can't end a game like this. I don't care about cliffhanger movies, but a game must stand alone like the first, and not only progress a story but make the gamer feel accomplished by its end.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#28 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:21 AM

By not having an ending they are taking another step to ensure that people will want to buy their next console to play Halo 3. Thats been the point of the X Box from the start. They have deep pockets and are happy taking the losses they currently suffer because when the next-gens come out they already have a LARGE niche cut out thanks primarily to the Halo series.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#29 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:03 AM

Ok, So, I played Halo 2 today and was a little disappionted. The graphics were awsome! But, as mentioned before, the pistol was disappionting. The new battle rifle ROCKS!!! But the covenant weapons, mostly all of them with the exeption of the plasma weapons and sword, suck! Suprisingly, duel neddlers are my personal favorite, but still under the sword.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#30 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:14 AM

Eep... If the hype monster Halo 2 envoked created such widescale panic.. I fear Tuesday... Dark Tuesday?

Posted Image

[Yeah, my friend Grant's wonderfully nerdish.]
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#31 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:00 AM

#1 I didn't spend an ungodly amount of hours watching Empire Strikes Back
#2 I didn't pay $50 to see Empire Strikes Back

Okay, perhaps I'm biased here because I may be considered a fanboy of both franchises. But, in response to numbers 1 and 2, I personally HAVE spent an ungodly amount of time and money just watching ESB. May it be the numerous versions of the trilogy I own, or the amount of times I've seen it in theatres, or sitting every day after high school watching a Trilogy film. To "us" fanboys, it isn't about following the single focused storyline by playing through the game once, or watching the movie once, it's the world we are immersed in by experiencing it. Halo 2's ending leaves us wanting more! To a casual gamer like yourself, that may be a bad thing, but it just makes me want to go back and play it through again to enjoy those moments that made the game so cool.

#3 The Star Wars films were intented to be a trilogy (and then some)... while Halo 1 was a stand alone game with a beginning, middle, and end. It's ending gave you a sense of accomplishment, while this game's ending feels like you've been robbed of any such resolution.

Hmm, what do you mean when you say that ESB gave you a feeling of accomplishment? Is that the part where Luke fucks up on his Jedi training, loses Han to Boba Fett, gets his hand cut off and finds out that he's related to a black man with a wrinkled old white face? Personally, I don't see it the same way. I think a lot of people have trouble looking at things they're more comfortable with from an objective point of view. While Halo is a video game series not film, its pacing could mirror a motion picture.

Bungie could have done a little better job of bringing some cohesion to the ending of Halo 2, but I think your judgement is too harsh. My feelings are that the final boss battle should have been more dramatic (think Luke vs Vader), but that is about it. And I agree that in a way cliffhanger videogames aren't as rewarding as cliffhanger films.

* * * * ATTENTION * * * *
To all of you who scrolled over that annoying nerd nostalgia, and just wanna pwn some noobs in MULTI, right now my usual gamertag @ the gaming store I play XBL at is "GS Avari".
"The 'dance goes on..."

#32 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:25 AM

Halo 2 party this weekend! Oh yeah, I'm going to party my fingers off...
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#33 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:33 AM

...Oh yeah, I'm going to party my fingers off...

That doesn't sound right.
~Halfling

#34 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

...Oh yeah, I'm going to party my fingers off...

That doesn't sound right.
~Halfling

Nor healthy.

Now Julian, are you the king of one-liner posting, or am I just seeing a whole lot of nothing in your posts? I don't think I've ever seen you post anything exceeding 2 lines.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#35 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:16 PM

Im just the king. Well, I don't know, some of my posts mean something.
~Halfling

Edited by 1/2 Newb 1/2 Nerfer, 12 November 2004 - 02:20 PM.

#36 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

Halo 2's ending leaves us wanting more! To a casual gamer like yourself, that may be a bad thing, but it just makes me want to go back and play it through again to enjoy those moments that made the game so cool.

Exactly. After messing some shit up, you get a "Let's go end the war ending". Well let's at least have some amazing mission to close out the game and give a segway to that. Instead, you get a cinema. This ending is a joke. I know it's business and I know that people are going to buy XB2 for Halo 3... just like I will, but to end a game like that is pathetic. It's a cop out ending and a joke. You don't end a game like that, trilogy or not, cliffhangers don't work in videogames.

Don't say casual gamer like it's a bad thing or that I'm not any good because of it, honkey.

#37 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

There better be Halo 3 soon; I wait 2 years, and I get a adrupt ending. Grr, anyway, Xbox live is awesome with it, I love the voice messaging stuff. Cool beans. Hopefully multiplayer will hold me untill the next campaign.

And like everyone is saying; cliffhangers aren't cool in video games; I don't want to wait another 2-3 years to finish a game, I wanna finish it now.

Edited by The Large Moose, 12 November 2004 - 07:41 PM.

QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#38 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:02 PM

Well let's at least have some amazing mission to close out the game and give a segway to that.

First of all, unless you're referring to the gyroscrope-righted scooter that is gonna re-invent the way we get around, I think you mean segue.

Posted Image

Also, what would you consider an "amazing mission"?

*****SPOILERS*****

Teaming up the Arbiter and the Demon, flying banshees into the heart of the enemy's protected fortress, slaying the vile leader of the Brutes that caused the insurrection, barely stopping him from firing the 2nd Halo...?
*****END SPOILERS*****

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain, Shenmue, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Warcraft 3, Jak and Daxter, now Halo 2... contemporary popular video games, especially those in a series, can and WILL feature cliffhanger endings. There is even more incentive for the developing company to attempt to hook you for the sequel. With consoles of $200-$300, games releasing at $50, it's an investment every time you purchase one. At least with a movie they can afford to finish a movie off and tie up all the loose ends that could lead to a sequel, because it's only a $7.50 choice whether you want to see the next release. That being agreed upon now, ending and all, all my friends agree that this game's campaign was more rewarding than Halo 1's. In Halo 1 there wasn't enough character development or depth. They barely did any storytelling, but in this one they have beefed things up. In today's videogames, there are practically enough game cinemas to make a film. That makes me more comfortable with the idea of a game ending with a "to be continued".

Don't say casual gamer like it's a bad thing or that I'm not any good because of it, honkey.

Oh, I wouldn't dare! :wacko: But I would suggest to any that thought the campaign was unrewarding or too short, play through the game again on a harder difficulty and you might uncover new thrills and appreciate more details.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#39 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:10 AM

I've beaten Halo 2 on heroic

**SPOILER**

And a... "Boss Fight" with the Brute is a weak final mission. Not only was it easy, but it was repetitive (sp?) and relatively uneventful.

I'd rather play as Master Chief and pull off something with some magnitude much like the first Halo game.

Edited by Evil, 15 November 2004 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users