From Ompa the über-post whore

66 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

Ah, my 800th post. I've begun to realize how utterly pathetic and lack of life I must be/have in order to garner so many posts in such a short time. So for my 800th post, I present something that I actually sat down and took maybe 10 minutes to do. I have yet to see a general, easy to read guide for the newer players and forum members, so I wrote one. Kind of. I take NO credit whatsoever for it's content, as it's pretty much taken from bits and pieces of other articles on the site. Well, here it is:

The General, General, New Player Guide

Commonly Asked Questions:

What is Modding, and why should I mod my Nerf guns?
Modding is the process of making your Nerf gun better. Mods usually consist of a barrel replacement, plugging the overpressure release valve (in pump guns), and replacing springs (in cocking guns). Modding Nerf guns drastically increases the performance of the gun itself, increasing the range anywhere from 2-20 times the original range of the gun.

What’s the Best Gun?
There is NO such thing as the “Best Gun”. Every gun has it’s weaknesses or strengths. While there are many guns that have achieved a somewhat “legendary” status, it really does not mean that the gun will be enable a player to beat everyone else. Guns that are often put in this category are the Crossbow and Lock’n’Load. While these two guns are excellent, they aren’t going to help you win games if you can’t shoot worth jack shit. Remember, the player makes the gun. Unless you are using a slingshot outdoors; that’s different.

What are Stefans?
Stefans are homemade darts. They are made using foam backing rod (FBR) that can be found at most local hardware stores, weight (everything from tacks, steel shot, and bb’s), and a dome of hot glue. Well-made stefans, when coupled with the correct barrel, will put almost any stock dart to shame in terms of performance. For an excellent guide to making Stefans, go here.

What gun should I buy first?
This is a changing topic at all times, as some guns may not be available to people at certain times. However, as of now, the Airtech 2000 and Nitefinder offer excellent performance once modded, for cheap prices. The Airtech 2000 twin pack is now around $12, while the Nitefinder is $6.

What are Integrations?
Integrations are when the innards of one gun are placed into the shell and innards of another gun. Integrations offer the chance for a gun’s weakness to be compensated for through the addition of another weapon. For example, the Rapidfire20 is a fully automatic weapon with poor range. Several people will integrate an Airtech 2000 or an Supermaxx750 (both long-range guns) into the Rapidfire20 in order to give the gun long-range capabilities. Many support integrations, while some decry them. To read more, go
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=1615

Why does Cxwq own my mom?
He owns your mom, you, and your cat. Oh, and your sister too.

Barrels
There are many different types of barrels out there; all of them will go with different dart sizes. The basic barrel types usually correspond to the different dart types:
Mega Stefans/ Stock Micros
-SCH40 PVC (1/2 inch)
Micro Stefans
-SCH 80 PVC (1/2 inch)
-Copper Tubing
-Brass
-Cpvc

Also, different barrel setups such as a breech barrel, nested barrel, and your regular barrel are all different barrels that can be used in a mod.

Breech Barrel
Often times it’s just a pvc coupler glued onto the air chamber that allows a barrel to be put on/removed quickly.

Nested Barrel
Mostly done with Brass, it involves a small piece of 17/32 glued/stuck in the back of the main barrel, which is usually 9/16. This is good for spring guns. It’s called a nested barrel because the 17/32 ends up pretty much entirely surrounded by the 9/16 brass and you won’t be able to see the majority of it. Or, you can glue the 17/32 brass on the air chamber in the middle of a coupler (breech barrel), and put the 9/16 brass into 1/2inch SCH40 PVC so that the SCH40 PVC attaches to the coupler and the 9/16 brass slides over the 17/32 brass.

Regular Barrel
Just a nice, straight barrel
Keep in mind that if making Stefans, dart diameter may vary, and different sizes of barrels may need to be purchased. The MOST important feature of barrels is the dart/barrel fit. You are best off to bring a dart you have made to the store and test which barrel material it fits best in. This is why I did not list the sizes in the original list for copper, brass, and cpvc.

Darts
Many types of darts are used, including mega Stefans, micro Stefans, and stock micros. With modifications, arrows and stock megas are rarely used. The Stefan is the homemade dart, which can be made by following the instructions here.

Basic Modification
Almost all modifications consist of the same components; a barrel replacement, plugging the overpressure release valve (pump guns), and replacing the spring (cocking guns). The choice of darts to be used, range desired, and availability of materials will determine the extent and type of mod to be done. However, here is a general rule of thumb when doing modifications:

Spring Guns:
-A nested barrel usually works well in spring guns, mainly due to the fact that most spring guns release air slowly, and a nested barrel allows for pressure to build up behind the dart before the dart comes out of the barrel. This increases velocity which in turn increases range.
-A spring replacement is in line for almost every cocking gun. It will increase the range, but sometimes at risk of decreasing the durability of the gun. Re-enforcement using metal strips is possible to prevent or fix your gun in the event of a problem with breaking.
-Lubing the plunger is NOT a dirty thing, it just will increase the effectiveness of the plunger. Don’t use petroleum based lubricants, as they will eat through the rubber. Silicone grease is a good lubricant.

Pump Guns:
-Usually a smooth, non-nested barrel is the way to go here. Pump guns release all the air fast, so there is usually no benefit to using a nested barrel.
-Plugging the release valve; the release valve is often located at the end of the pump. Plugging it increases the amount of pressure the gun will take, but at the risk of blowing your air chamber. Use caution when determining how many pumps to use on the gun.

Topic No-no's
To make this simple: Do NOT double post, there is an edit button for a reason.
Do NOT post topics about what's the best gun.
Do NOT post topics in which you lie about your ranges.
Do NOT use horrible grammer
Do NOT post a topic about losing

If you do ANY of these I will personally eat your intestines. Maybe your stomach too if I'm hungry.

~ompa

#2 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

Bravo, *claps*. Someone should sticky this.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

Pinned.

Nice job, thanks Ompa.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Very nice, you post whore, you.
\m/-.-\m/

#5 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:16 PM

Nice job.
~Halfling

Edited by 1/2 Newb 1/2 Nerfer, 04 November 2004 - 08:18 PM.

#6 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:13 PM

You....damn...

Piece of crap.

Evil.

Well....nice post anyhow...
Indiana '11

#7 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:16 PM

Time someone wrote this.

#8 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

Time someone wrote this.

What?
~Halfling

#9 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:46 PM

Time someone wrote this.

What?
~Halfling

I meant NerfHaven needed such a guide and it was time someone wrote it.

#10 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

NerfHaven didn't really need a guide. If you're at least mildly retarded you can figure the rules out. But I'll admit Ompa did an excellent job. Pretty funny, too.

"Why does Cxwq own my mom?"
:lol: :D :D

That's right, I'm cool enough to use smileys.
"I FUCKING BEG OF YOU! MY FUCKING BROTHER WOULD GET OFF!"

--Mraow

#11 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:33 AM

I love the reference to the post whore part, you certainly have knocked up quite a large number so far.

Oh, and i think the best line so far [although not from this] would have to be "CX > j00".
Just awesome. And True.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#12 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:39 PM

cool... i can see you took some time on it.

#13 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:19 PM

Great Job Ompa!
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#14 shadownerf

shadownerf

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

[/QUOTE]

...snip... Don't quote the whole fucking article please.

Did you know your tags are backwards?

[QUOTE]

your life is pathetic

#15 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:25 PM

Your face is pathetic.

THIRST
ko

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:37 PM

Maybe, but I spent 10 minutes writing the post, in spare time. You know, it really didn't waste that much time, and it simply illustrates common sense thought, which really didn't require that I thought much about. However, I see you read it, for which I am glad, since I see you are severely lacking in common sense.

~ompa

#17 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:38 PM

wow, ok, you didn't even quote right. And you've just insulted someone who took a shitload of time to help people like you out. If Ompa's life is pathetic, at least he has a life for it to be pathetic.
\m/-.-\m/

#18 shadownerf

shadownerf

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

oh so i quote wrong and im stupid or something

#19 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:52 PM

*sniff* I smell troll...
Looks like we need a little ban-ness.
Oh and Shadow...yes, that's my guess. It's not really that hard to quote someone.

#20 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:19 PM

You can't capitalize or punctuate your sentences correctly either. The factors are definitely stacking up against you. Why don't you read the Code of Conduct link at the top of this page?

Asshole.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#21 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:48 PM

Yes, seeing as how theres a quote button at the top of every post..

Posted Image
CRIKEY! WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT!!

One question, why do people fuck with the quoting code once it's already there?
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#22 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 06:41 PM

Because people like to make life harder then is has to be.

Edited by Bad_Karma, 24 December 2004 - 06:41 PM.

Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#23 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:48 AM

Topic's kind of old, but... harsh.
SexD Warves

#24 gordon

gordon

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:00 AM

Thirst just dissed Shadownerf out of the forum. Props to Thirst. Shadownerf go hide in a hole... for the rest of your life. For those of you who don't know (I am asuming all of you are in this catagory) I am a cross-country runner on the state champion team. And the ultimate diss amung the 1337 runners is "Your face."

Best example:
Guy one in argument: You are gay!
Guy two in argument: Your mom is gay!
Random guy running up: Your face is gay!
Everybody around: Oh he dissed you! You just lost your talking privilage. Heck you just lost your living in public privilage.

Wow this is way off topic. Dang I am doing terrible with my new years resolution.
kill or be killed

#25 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

*sniff* I smell troll...

The billy goats gruff are crossing your bridge, shadow.
Spectre of the CFM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users