Photo

Cutting Straight

10 replies to this topic

#1 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

Does anyone have any special techniques they use to ensure a straight cut? I use a hacksaw and my recent cuts have all been slanted, therefore i had to sand the barrel down to make it straight.
What?! No! I sell propane!

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:49 PM

Get a miter box. If you don't know what that is, ask a person at home depot or at any other hardware store, they will show you what it looks like.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:41 PM

Practice.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#4 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:57 PM

Or a simple pipe cutter. They're really not all that expensive, and you could probably find one sitting in your tool room somewhere.

Posted Image
Would be a heavy duty and more expensive pipe cutter.

This, however:
Posted Image
Would be ideal for cutting PVC.

They're really simple to use, just clamp it so the blade is where you want to cut, and spin it while applying pressure.

[EDIT] The only thing that should be noted and I forgot to add is that by using a pipe cutter you'd probably need to ream the inside of the barrel with something to open it up, as the pipe cutter usually closes it a bit. Some cutters come with a small gadget (for lack of a better word) that comes out so you can clean out the inside of the barrel, but a simple utility knife would suffice.

Edited by Spectre2689, 03 November 2004 - 10:00 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#5 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:20 AM

This, however:
Posted Image
Would be ideal for cutting PVC.

They're really simple to use, just clamp it so the blade is where you want to cut, and spin it while applying pressure.

I wish it were that good.

I bought one, it IS perfect for cutting PVC quickly and easily, but it's meant for squeezing like a pair of giant scissors rather than spinning like a conventional pipe cutter. Because of the way its jaws work, the cutter is prone to slicing diagonally if you don't hold it perfectly still. With practice, I still can't even perfect it. I would advise against this type of pipe cutter for making barrels, although it IS great for cutting links for homemades etc.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#6 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:22 AM

I use the turn style pipe cutter and Iíll never had any problems with it.

#7 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:14 AM

I just get a peice of electrical tape and wrap it around the pipe then cut it with a hacksaw.
~Halfling

#8 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

I have a table saw (at least my Dad does) and so thats was I use. I alos have a sander that I use when I get my barrels slanted.

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:46 PM

A miter box, as stated before, is probably your best bet. They are really cheap (at least the plastic ones), and you can use them with your hacksaw.

~ompa

#10 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:33 AM

My friend has one of those turning ones wich I use when he's around. I take an exacto knife and trim the ends a bit and cutt the inner lip down some so stefans will slide in easier.

When my friend is not around I free hand with a hacksaw. I ususalyl get them close to strait but sometimes I have to sand or trim the ends with one of my many hobby knife blades.

#11 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:03 PM

I've had great cuts with a Japanese pull-action hacksaw.

Edited by Arcanis, 05 November 2004 - 08:03 PM.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users