Hey

(couple of newb questions)

13 replies to this topic

#1 jumpman8828

jumpman8828

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hey guys! I just signed up for these boards, as this seems to be the place to be for all things Nerf. A group of my friends are already into it and are trying to get me into it as well, so I had a few questions. We'd be playing inside most of the time (my friend has a huge house that his parents let us play in) so keep that in mind.

1) What gun should I buy as my primary weapon?
2) Should I temper the modifications I've seen on the web for indoor play?
3) Where can I purchase the supplies needed to modify them? Can they all be found at a store like Home Depot?

I think that's it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

#2 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

What kind of ammo (stock or stefans) will you be using? And is the house a bunch of really small rooms or a few big ones?

Edited by duce, 02 November 2004 - 06:27 PM.

"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:35 PM

1. Get the AirTech 2000 twin pack from Target before it disappears for good. Pick up a NiteFinder or two while you're at it. Both of these are super affordable guns, are reasonably easy to modify, and are great for close quarters.

2. As already noted, this depends a lot on what type of darts you're going to be using. Generally, people who war together a lot will all use either stock darts or stefans. Stefans will get you better range and are generally more accurate but they're also more likely to break something in the house and can hurt quite a bit at very close range. If you're playing with stock darts, go crazy with the mods but use SCH40 instead of PETG/brass/copper/SCH80/whatever.

3. Everything can be found at Home Despot save proper barrel materials for 1/2" micro stefans. You'll find CPVC and copper there, but these only really work well with undersized ~7/16" FBR. You can get brass at hobby shops that carry model trains and rc planes. You can get PETG online - I'm working on a new distributor for my PETG supply if you're interested in that.

Welcome to NH!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:43 PM

Well, CX, if you find a new PETG supplier, I'd get like 50 feet.

#5 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

I'd also recomend that, since your playing in close quarters, yuo get someting with a really good rate of fire. Something with many shots. I'd say if you can get a Rapid Fire 20 or a Wildfire, get it. Some other good ones to get might be, a Blast Fire, a Hornet (not Mad Hornet), or maybie a supermaxx 1500. All of these guns, except possibly the Rapid Fire 20, are not made, so you would have to trade either get them off E-bay or from someone on this site. (I'd recomend the latter)

#6 jumpman8828

jumpman8828

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

^^^^^Thanks guys!

Duce- I don't really know if I'd be using stock darts or my own, I'll probably end up making and using my own. The house is a little bit of both. The downstairs is pretty spacious, while the upstairs has a bunch of smaller rooms.

Can someone explain the different types of barrels to me please? I've only seen the PVC ones on my friend's guns.

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:45 PM

Can someone explain the different types of barrels to me please? I've only seen the PVC ones on my friend's guns.

Read the forums. Seriously, there's some great info in those 40,000 posts.

You might want to start here though for a good overview.

#8 jumpman8828

jumpman8828

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

Can someone explain the different types of barrels to me please?  I've only seen the PVC ones on my friend's guns.

Read the forums. Seriously, there's some great info in those 40,000 posts.

You might want to start here though for a good overview.

Heh, sorry. I guess I figured anything out there would be more complex kind of things since most of the posts I've read are by Nerf vets. Thanks :cry:

#9 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:24 PM

Hey jumpman, if you need any help with anything, feel free to PM me. I can probably give you advice or tell you who else can. I'm on all day after school.

#10 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:41 PM

1. Get the AirTech 2000 twin pack from Target before it disappears for good. Pick up a NiteFinder or two while you're at it. Both of these are super affordable guns, are reasonably easy to modify, and are great for close quarters.

2. As already noted, this depends a lot on what type of darts you're going to be using. Generally, people who war together a lot will all use either stock darts or stefans. Stefans will get you better range and are generally more accurate but they're also more likely to break something in the house and can hurt quite a bit at very close range. If you're playing with stock darts, go crazy with the mods but use SCH40 instead of PETG/brass/copper/SCH80/whatever.

3. Everything can be found at Home Despot save proper barrel materials for 1/2" micro stefans. You'll find CPVC and copper there, but these only really work well with undersized ~7/16" FBR. You can get brass at hobby shops that carry model trains and rc planes. You can get PETG online - I'm working on a new distributor for my PETG supply if you're interested in that.

Welcome to NH!

Hey Cx, you should pin something like this, so that people who are just getting started can easily find a thread about how to get started. Just an idea.
Indiana '11

#11 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:32 PM

Indoor guns suggestions:

Hornet - This gun comes in the N-Strike set with two other guns. It is a six-shot semi-auto rifle. Plus the release vavle and mabey glue on crayola barrels and it will be very effective for indoors. Downside is the set costs $40 ( you get three blasters though ).

Scout - This pistol is one of the guns that comes in the N-Strike set. Its a nice looking pistol with a realistic top-cocking slide feature. Put on a new barrel and you're good to go.

NiteFinder - Very good pistol, even when left stock. Take out the air-restrictor and/or add rubber bands and it becomes even better. With a $6 price tag you could get a few.

AitTech2000 - This is a good blaster to get if you ever decide to play outdoors every now and then. You get two for only $10 ! It uses a four-barrel manual turret.

RapidFire20 - 20 shot fully automatic blaster. One of the best indoor blasters, costs $20. Only downside is the long re-load and pumping to get it primed, but hell, you have 20 shots.

Those are the only commonly avaible blasters on shelves right now. Check ebay for other older and discontinued blasters.

#12 ACLakeside

ACLakeside

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

Where can you buy a RF20? I haven't seen any in stores and the ones on ebay are $30.

#13 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:32 PM

Toys R Us has them in some locations. It's a special re-release just for them.

#14 ACLakeside

ACLakeside

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

Okay, Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users