Half Life 2

waiting patiently

76 replies to this topic

#51 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

So, your saying its a bad thing to make some money on the side?
~Halfling

#52 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:06 PM

No, its a bad thing to put a superior game on a non-superior system. I'll bet you any money that if they port all 5 CDS of HL2 to XBox, it would explode. Completely just blow up in your face. To avoid this, Valve would need to kill the graphics on the game, not to mention all the scripts and physics going on, and completely gay it up. So, to all those that are patiently waiting for HL2 on Xbox: don't bother.

Also, I'm gonna have to disagree with you Groove. While gravity gun + circular saw + headcrab zombies is a ridiculously fun combination, gravity gun + engine block + headcrab zombies is just hilarious.
Spectre of the CFM

#53 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:43 PM

So, your saying, if you have an Xbox, but don't have a super computer, you should spend a shit-load of money on a computer just for Half-Life 2?
~Halfling

#54 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:55 PM

If by shitload of money you mean ~$500, then yeah, it's worth it. Then you'll be set to play any other games that decide to come out with those specifications as well.

[EDIT]Also note that you could most likely trade your old hardware in and get a "discount" on new hardware. However little it is, it's still cheaper than just buying everything new.

On a side note, if anyone knows how to get to the church in Ravenholm, PM me. It's right after I get the shotgun and I go down the elevator.

Edited by Spectre2689, 20 November 2004 - 09:39 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#55 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:06 PM

Im not saying you should buy a new computer (tho, if you can afford it, go right ahead). Im saying you shouldnt buy HL2 for the xbox, because it wont be nearly the same game.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#56 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

And also, if you buy the Xbox version, it will always be the same game (ie. no mods, skins, maps, etc.), and would be worse than the PC game.
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#57 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 10:07 PM

So, your saying, if you have an Xbox, but don't have a super computer, you should spend a shit-load of money on a computer just for Half-Life 2?
~Halfling

1/2, stop talking shit.

Half Life 2, like the original, is designed for low-end computers, with a minimum 700Hz processor required [last time i checked] and a half decent graphics card. If you were sad enough to have to upgrade for this game, you would have a computer that, if upgraded to the max, will run any future games. Look at Doom 3 and such, the requirements and graphic cards were so high-end, and more advanced than HL2, that many people did upgrade to "Supercomputers" to play them.

Games like Halo and its sequel i think are a bit lost on a console. When you play a game on your TV it loses all its atmosphere that it would have otherwise reaped from being played on a PC. I'm not saying Halo sucks on console, quite the opposite, but games like Half Life will be shat upon in such circumstances.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#58 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:58 PM

But boy do I feel sorry for anyone that has to run the game on an older DX8 video card...(shudder). To think that that's probably what it would look like on Xbox.

Another thing is that since TVs run at a much lower resolution, you can't put anywhere near as much detail on it as you can on a monitor. I tried playing Call of Duty on a TV once, and the resolution was so bad that it was hard to see anything, even on a 30" screen.

Side-note: nevermind about my above edit, I found the way, and I feel stupid for not seeing it earlier. Shame on me.

[EDIT] General edit.

Edited by Spectre2689, 20 November 2004 - 11:58 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#59 Lemmypoo

Lemmypoo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:48 AM

But boy do I feel sorry for anyone that has to run the game on an older DX8 video card...(shudder). To think that that's probably what it would look like on Xbox.

Another thing is that since TVs run at a much lower resolution, you can't put anywhere near as much detail on it as you can on a monitor. I tried playing Call of Duty on a TV once, and the resolution was so bad that it was hard to see anything, even on a 30" screen.

Side-note: nevermind about my above edit, I found the way, and I feel stupid for not seeing it earlier. Shame on me.

[EDIT] General edit.

Let's drop the discussion over shit computers running HL2, my computer feels bad, I can hear it's little overclocked Radeon 9500 crying when I run HL2! But yeah, building a god damn super computer for Half-Life 2, have a budget in the 1300+ range by Christmas.

Anyway, let's talk about the game itself you proud owners!

Half-Life 2 does one thing to me that I don't like, it makes my other games seem like shit. MGS3 is not only ugly, but absolutely no depth! I have grown tired of carrying around a zoo in my backpack and chasing after the "very special forces" known as "cobra" (no relation to the marvelous organization-- I hope). The only reason I continue to play it is:

A. Paid for it.
B. I have made it to the final fortress.

Throwing bug bait, throwing shit around with the gravity gun, and blowing shit to an alternate dimension with the alternate fire on the Pulse Rifle give me glee beyond measure!

There is no question, Halo 2 does not compare in single-player to HL2. But why the fuck didn't valve release a multi-player version of HL2? CS:S, whoopdy damn doo! I've been playing Counter-strike for years and am continually bored by it. I want to throw barrels at people over the internet!

I hope to find Gabe Newell, grab a couple of crowbars from Home Depot, and beat the fuck out of vivendi for delaying this masterpiece. If only Gordon were capable of brewing me some sort of tasty beverage, then this game would be perfect.
Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter!

Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

-brothers Macmanus, Boondock Saints

#60 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:31 AM

Agreed, but I have one other gripe. The loading times are ridiculous. Although the game is very linear and you don't get magically teleported anywhere between loading (save the mis-teleport at the beginning), it still needs something to keep a person interested while it's loading.

Everything else is amazing. I remember the first (and only) time I shot the alternate fire on the pulse rifle. It went through somebody, fried him, bounced off a wall, and exploded in a flammable barrel surrounded by 3 cronies.

Ant lions are ridiculously fun as well. I don't quite remember where or how I got 7 ant lions at one time, but man did they own infantry. Got their asses handed to them by machine gun fire though.

Right now I'm in Nova Prospekt, and I don't really know what to expect. Lots of loud noises and creepy cages with blood on the walls. I couldn't figure out how to get past the first room, due mainly to the fact that I was too scared to explore the basement. I'll try again later with the help of the trusty magnum.

[EDIT] For those wondering about multiplayer HL2, voila. http://halflife2.fil...Test_Maps;33049 and http://halflife2.fil..._Mini_Mod;33099 ...aaand http://halflife2.fil..._Menu_Mod;33185

Edited by Spectre2689, 21 November 2004 - 01:17 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#61 Lemmypoo

Lemmypoo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

Agreed, but I have one other gripe. The loading times are ridiculous. Although the game is very linear and you don't get magically teleported anywhere between loading (save the mis-teleport at the beginning), it still needs something to keep a person interested while it's loading.

Everything else is amazing. I remember the first (and only) time I shot the alternate fire on the pulse rifle. It went through somebody, fried him, bounced off a wall, and exploded in a flammable barrel surrounded by 3 cronies.

Ant lions are ridiculously fun as well. I don't quite remember where or how I got 7 ant lions at one time, but man did they own infantry. Got their asses handed to them by machine gun fire though.

Right now I'm in Nova Prospekt, and I don't really know what to expect. Lots of loud noises and creepy cages with blood on the walls. I couldn't figure out how to get past the first room, due mainly to the fact that I was too scared to explore the basement. I'll try again later with the help of the trusty magnum.

[EDIT] For those wondering about multiplayer HL2, voila. http://halflife2.fil...Test_Maps;33049 and http://halflife2.fil..._Mini_Mod;33099 ...aaand http://halflife2.fil..._Menu_Mod;33185

Ooh! Thanks for the maps!

I'm in Nova Prospeckt too, just got done fighting the first "King Antlion" in there. It sucked much ass.

My biggest question, though, when do we get the OICW? I mean the Pulse Rifle is the fucking shit, I'm not sure if the game even needs the OICW, but I'm still interested in grabbing it in case my .357 runs outta ammo :P
Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter!

Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

-brothers Macmanus, Boondock Saints

#62 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:07 PM

...There's an OICW? Wow.

Concerning Nova Prospekt, what kind of enemies are in there? I just got in the door and I'm already scared shitless. I wanna know what I should expect. Is it just combine? Or Ant lions? Or what?

And no problem. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, I'll try it when I get home today.
Spectre of the CFM

#63 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

Yes, load times are my only complaint. Its not even that the loads are too long, they fall under "reasonable but noticeable", but the frequency gets a tad frustrating. It gets better once you get into zones like the prison and the city because they are more clumped up, but levels like the fanboat part drove me insane. I blast my way throguht a blockade, music kicks in, my heart rate is pumping. I go screaming into a tunnel, the dark walls flying by me in a blur....

Way to kill the mood.

#64 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:26 PM

No kidding. I'm in a jeep, I just narrowly avoided getting my ass handed to me by a combine gunship, and I blasted the roadblock aside with my gravity gun. I race into a tunnel waiting for something to happen, but there's a white light at the end...LOADING. Excellent.

But yeah, they really need to fix that, if it's possible.
Spectre of the CFM

#65 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

THEY don't need to fix anything, you do. Only takes me a matter of seconds to load with my system.

#66 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:32 PM

~Halfling

It's like this.

Do you settle for half-priced, second label food brand when you buy Pop Tarts, or do you dish out some more cash and get the real shit? I don't care what excuse you can come up with, the Xbox port for HL2 will be shit compared to the PC version.

All my college buddies don't have top of the line computers, and they can run it just fine on low settings. Shit, my friend doesn't have an Alienware like I do, but he can run it on any resolution (including 1600 x 1200, mind you). Half Life 2 is like Doom 3 in that the visuals are fucking amazing, but HL2 runs fine on any resolution.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like a bitchy consumer whore here, but if you're bitching about your system not being able to run HL2, you've had a little over 4 years to get ready for next generation games like this...

Aside from that: Only complaint I have is the occasional video glitch, and the inital load time to start HL2 is somewhat of a long wait. The gameplay is awesome, the AI is surprisingly smart, the levels, the guns, it's all very, very amazing.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#67 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:48 PM

THEY don't need to fix anything, you do. Only takes me a matter of seconds to load with my system.

You tell my S-ATA WD 80GB 7200RPM with 8mb cache that. Or could it be Mobile Athlon XP +2500 OC'ed to +3200 (which, mind you, is perfectly stable)? Or maybe my ATI R9800 XT 128mb. Possibly my 1024MB of OCZ memory?

No, I really don't think it's my computer. Maybe your computer is on drugs?
Spectre of the CFM

#68 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

Okay I didn't have time to read all the posts but I'm just going to say this: I played the game at a friends house about level 2-10 and for all you xbox fiends that say that Halo 2 kicks HL2 ass you are fucking wrong! Also if your computer has the capabilities get your ass over to the game shop and buy it. Amazing AI, unbelievable graphics, great terrain, and the fact that everything in the entire game is something you can interact with are just a couple reasons! I am dumbfounded buy it!
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#69 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:23 PM

You tell my S-ATA WD 80GB 7200RPM with 8mb cache that. Or could it be Mobile Athlon XP +2500 OC'ed to +3200 (which, mind you, is perfectly stable)? Or maybe my ATI R9800 XT 128mb. Possibly my 1024MB of OCZ memory?

No, I really don't think it's my computer. Maybe your computer is on drugs?

And your Operating system? Video Drivers? Spyware? Viruses? Disk fragmentation? Any bootleg software? Anything running in the background? May I suggest tweeking your system.

But, weren't you saying it runs fine? Just long load times. Well, that would be expected when the entire game can't fit in 4 times your RAM...Then add windows...

Edited by crankymonky, 22 November 2004 - 09:25 PM.

Tyranny Response Team

#70 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:56 PM

2048 ddr ram from crucial for the win !

Spectrea, I don't know what your problem is. I have a similar set up and it only takes me about 5-8 seconds to load anything ( except when I first start up the game like Groove mentioned ). I also don't have any other programs on my gaming comp. except for what is needed to run it and my games.

Edited by NinjZ, 22 November 2004 - 09:56 PM.

#71 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

You tell my S-ATA WD 80GB 7200RPM with 8mb cache that.  Or could it be Mobile Athlon XP +2500 OC'ed to +3200 (which, mind you, is perfectly stable)?  Or maybe my ATI R9800 XT 128mb.  Possibly my 1024MB of OCZ memory?

No, I really don't think it's my computer.  Maybe your computer is on drugs?

And your Operating system? Video Drivers? Spyware? Viruses? Disk fragmentation? Any bootleg software? Anything running in the background? May I suggest tweeking your system.

But, weren't you saying it runs fine? Just long load times. Well, that would be expected when the entire game can't fit in 4 times your RAM...Then add windows...

WinXP Pro, Omega drivers, none, none, defragged last week, none (as of yet), nothing but steam. Go figure.

I'm not saying the entire game needs to be in memory. But when it's only a small fraction of the game at a time, it should be able to be handled in roughly 20-30 seconds, not a full minute. I'm not even saying my computer's godly, it's just when somebody says there's something wrong with my computer when there's a problem with the product, it pisses me off.

Edited by Spectre2689, 22 November 2004 - 10:05 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#72 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:10 PM

It's still not a problem with the product. I'm also not saying the problem is your computer. For what the game is, long loads are to be expected.

#73 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:43 PM

True, but it would be nice to have a Planetside-esque loading system, where it loads as you play, so there's really no need to stop and load. Ah but to dream...
Spectre of the CFM

#74 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • State:California

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:51 PM

Wow I just beat this game and it was awesome :nugget:

#75 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:11 PM

Wow I just beat this game and it was awesome :nugget:

I'm playing through for the fourth time. Just killing time till my car is fixed so I can go pick up Vampire: The Masquerade, because I hear its absolutely awesome.

I think I may be a Source fanboy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users