Dringing

Got your liscense or learners?

34 replies to this topic

#1 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:10 PM

I was just wondering who has their learners or liscense. I've had my learners since Oct. but I haven't gotten to drive much. I don't like to drive with my dad much because he makes me nervous. The slightlest little thing I do wrong he yells at me and grabs the stering wheel like I've driven in a ditch or something. And then he usually ends up knocking it into Netural and I'm sitting there wondering why the truck won't go. My mom gets nervous driving with me. Heck, I just get nervous driving period most of the time. I think I was shaking the other day because a cop was following me, heh. I'm a very cautious driver I suppose, don't drive all that fast, but not totally slow either. Anyways, who here can drive?

EDIT: Urgh, sorry, I cannot type. It's supposed to be titled "Driving" not "Dringing". Heh :D ^_^ :alien:.
Go Hokies!

#2 BlackCat

BlackCat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:55 PM

I should have had a permit last year and I could have my liscence by now but no I had to almost fail Geometry. It sucked I couldnt get my permit. As of now I am going to school for my permit.
I don't know how a TV works and frankly I don't want to know. As far as I'm concerned its magic and the whole world is a magical place.

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:17 AM

Yea when I started driving I was terrified. You get over it pretty quick, it'll feel natural soon. I also didn't get my license until I was 18, which I think was a good decision for me, I just didn't have much a use for one until then. Now of course I spend TONS of time in the car.....

Take my advice: learn stick as soon as you can. Not only is it good to know, but it's DAMN fun. Well, in a Mustang it is at least....
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#4 That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:23 AM

I've waited a long time to even get my permit, but I'm confident I made a wise decision. I'm not driving regularly, but that's to be expected. I really look at intermediate licenses with the idea that I drive myself somewhere if I need to and bum rides or carpool the rest of the time. Full licenses are tickets to unbridled freedom in my family; if you can get yourself there and do whatever ELSE you have to do, then by all means you do it.
That Bald Guy: Definitely not the Eugene Stoner of the Nerf world.

#5 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:54 PM

I'd like to learn a stick, but we don't have any cars like that. I'm not buying a stick either. I would love to have a 65/66 Mustang though... that's like my dream, hah.
Go Hokies!

#6 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 04:10 PM

It's an exciting time for me!

Next Thursday, I get my Driver's License. I just got a car, not new but used - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (c. 36,000 miles on it) Steel Blue color, all the power options, anti-lock brakes, dual frontside airbags, CD-player...life is good!

Damn, wait...that means, I have to get a job this summer to start paying for gas. Shit. Working? That requires...work. Fuck.

What license plates do you think I should get? Here are the ones I was thinking of:

JORD0 (Nickname)
J0-J0 (Another nickname...)
RONIN (Counter-Strike alias)
R0N1N (Counter-Strike alias in l33t)
GROOVE (NIC alias)
GR00VE (NIC alias in l33t)
BRN-1337 ("Born l33t")
RXR-URBX ("R0x0rZ uR b0x0rZ")

What do you guys think?

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#7 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 04:38 PM

I like GROOVE that would be kool. I'll probably be getting JT 110 or maybe just JT if they have it. My favorite number is 110, long story that I'm not going to tell.

Anways, as for the kind of car I'm getting, I have no idea yet. I have like 500+ saved up in the bank, and I start my job on Saturday. Four hours Saturday and four on Sunday. That sould give me about 40 bucks or so. Plus I get paid for getting A's. I'm working on all A's, so I can get 100 bucks. All year I've gotten at least one B on my report card. Our grading scale is hard to. A 95 is the lowest A you can get. But I think I can do it this six weeks. My dad still owes me like 80 bucks though. What sucks for me is that I have to pay for everything with my car. My parents won't pay a penny. It'll be 300 bucks, maybe less, for a cheap car, I don't care what kind really as long as it's not a stick and it runs well. And then another 300 bucks for insurance then plus all the other stuff I have to get. But it won't be too much longer. I'll probably start mowing some yards, 10-20 a piece, here soon, so I'll have 700 before long. I'll still want to keep a bit in the bank.

Ack, sorry, I have to plan everything out. I have to know what I'm going to do before I do it, I can't be spontanious(sp?). Anyways...

Oh, Groove, check your pm's okay?
Go Hokies!

#8 Frenzied fury

Frenzied fury

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:55 PM

Umm, my parents keep telling me to get a permit, but I don't want to. I could have my lisence if I really tried for it, but I'm not all that interested in getting it.
Er... well, y'know. You can't make an omelette without um... destroying a forest. Or something.- Black Mage
8-Bit Theater
Gravity Nerf

#9 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 06:38 PM

I'm really not too wild about driving, and frankly, I don't give a shit about driving. I'm just not excited about it, probably because I will suck at it and kill some people by accident.

Groove, I think, "R0N1NMARATSU" would be the best. Yeah, you'd need two plates. One that says "RON1NMA" and the other "RATSU", and then tape them together on the back of your car.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#10 El Hombre

El Hombre

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:23 PM

I drive around alot every weekday at my job cleaning rental cars. It's actually pretty fun.. always fast-paced, never a dull moment. We rent out some pretty cool vehicles occasionally.. No Vipers, or Corvettes, or Z's.. gr. But we do get some cool stuff like Jettas, Diamantes, and Impalas. My personal favorites we rent are the new trucks- F150s and Dodge Rams- They are herculean monsters, and they're fun to drive.
Alot of my free time revolves around cars. I own two old Chevrolets that I am constantly putting back together and restoring. It's fun to do stuff like this because you get a big rush of satisfaction when you accomplish something new..(pretty much like when you modify a nerf gun..!)
Ah.. one of the many fun things life has to offer.. cars. Just be careful out there, maniacs live.

#11 Atticus

Atticus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:40 PM

Well I've had my license for... not too long now, and even though you could do without it until you're 18, it's my main source of entertainment. The freedom is just insane compared to last year. I'd been saving up for the better part of 2002 for a car, and for 2 grand, I got this sweet ass '87 Mazda RX-7. Insurance is a bitch, and it's high for me being a young owner of a red sports car. What's with the red cars being higher anyways? I have to work extra hours to pay it off. But anyways, I didn't really have a point, I'm just rambling now... license = cool...

#12 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:01 PM

Insurance is a bitch, and it's high for me being a young owner of a red sports car. What's with the red cars being higher anyways?

Red cars are higher because most of the people that drive them are at a higher risk of crashing than those that drive say a... green car or blue. I think the highest are red and black. Plus sports cars are a lot higher. One thing for me though is I'm a girl. Girl's insurance is a hellvua lot cheaper than guys. Heh, sorry guys. Plus you get off some if you like have good grades or had like an A or B in driver's ed or something. There are different things. I'm just going to get a cheap car though for my first one.
Go Hokies!

#13 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:19 PM

I think that your enthusiasm about driving really depends on your situation. I live in a city where everything is spread out, I'm 15 minutes driving time from anywhere I'd want to be, and my friends are spread out all over the city cause I go to a private school. So its really nice to have a car.

I got my permit the day I turned 16, and my license 5 months later (I had to take drivers ed first). I don't have a car right now, but my parents usually let me take their cars out and I might be getting my dad's old 97 Subaru soon.

JT, insurance (and what gives you discounts) varies from company to company. Not all companies give good student discounts, and the amount you get for taking drivers ed varies. And there's not a large difference between girls and guys anymore. The statistics are getting closer together. And we all know the truth about female drivers, don't we guys? ;)

And definitely learn to drive stick, its one of those important life skills.

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:50 PM

Red cars aren't higher.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#15 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:10 PM

And we all know the truth about female drivers, don't we guys? ;)

I am a perfectly good driver thank you very much. That is so not true about women drivers. Girls is cheaper than guys cause girls aren't as crazy as guys and whatnot. But I'm a good driver. I have yet to hit anything!! I even parked between two cars yesterday perfectly! I had a little problem with parking... I'd park as far away from everything as I could.
Go Hokies!

#16 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:52 PM

Uhh, did you say you were planning on buying a car for $300? Better add at least an extra zero on to that dear....
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#17 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:16 PM

...I can't drive. Let's just leave it at that.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#18 That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:19 AM

Vanity plates disturb me. I dislike the abbreviations the most. They all look like this to me:

IRSTPD

CRCKHD

IDRVFST

SXE1

BIGDEAL

SMPRFI

ANDSO
That Bald Guy: Definitely not the Eugene Stoner of the Nerf world.

#19 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 02:06 PM

Uhh, did you say you were planning on buying a car for $300? Better add at least an extra zero on to that dear....

Uh... no? It's a used car here. I'm only 16 here, I'm not going to be getting a *new* car. That's way to expensive. Plus the taxes and everything. You can get a nice used car for 100 bucks sometimes you know.
Go Hokies!

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 04:16 PM

Uh... no? It's a used car here. I'm only 16 here, I'm not going to be getting a *new* car. That's way to expensive. Plus the taxes and everything. You can get a nice used car for 100 bucks sometimes you know.

Umm, no. No you can't. What freaking planet are you on? You can't buy ANY car that actually runs, used or not, for $300, much less $100. I mean a tank of gas costs $20 for gods sake. Most USED cars go for $1,000-$5,000, and thats at the LOW end of used cars. Most NEW cars go from $9,000-$18,000 or so. When you start talking about used cars for less than $1,000 you're talking about absolute clunkers that have more than 150,000 miles on them and will cost you four times the car's price in repairs over the next two years. I'm not trying to be mean here, but seriously, look in the damn ads if you need proof. I mean, maybe cars are 10 times cheaper in whatever state you're in, but barring that.....

I mean seriously here, you're lucky to buy a TELEVISION for $100.....

Maybe you're confused about car payments versus the total cost of a car. I mean buying a used or new car from a dealer usually means that you pay a monthly payment (usually between $100 and $300 per month, it depends) for a period of 36 months or something. Plus, you need a down payment usually. So if you mean $100 or so per month, well thats more realistic, although the smaller your payments, the longer it takes to pay the car off. Then you take those car payments, and ADD insurance on top of that. Insurance is usually billed every 6 months and will probably cost you $1,200 or so a year. Maybe more, I don't really know the rates for 16 year old females.

I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to be realistic....

Cars are like computer components. 99% of the time you get exactly what you pay for.

#21 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:39 PM

Umm, no. No you can't. What freaking planet are you on? You can't buy ANY car that actually runs, used or not, for $300, much less $100...

Maybe you're confused about car payments versus the total cost of a car. I mean buying a used or new car from a dealer usually means that you pay a monthly payment (usually between $100 and $300 per month, it depends) for a period of 36 months or something...

I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to be realistic....

[color=purple]Uh... no I'm *not* confussed. Maybe where YOU live you can't get them cheap, but around here they go from 200-600 for used cars. I live in Virginia here, in a dinky little redneck town. Everything's probably a helluva lot cheaper in where ever you are. And no, they're not just 'clunkers' they run, and run well. I'm not 'confused' either and I won't be buying it from a dealer. That's why they have ads in the paper. And I'm being totally realistic.

Here's one of my local news paper sites. They don't usually have many ads, but the bullentin board and the thrifty nickle usually do. I can't get to either of those right now.
Click here

If that doesn't work here's a piece of it, there are a lot more though.

1989 PROBE LX, runs; 1990 Probe LX (for parts). $1200 for both. 1984 Toyota Starlet Limited Ed., $300. 1982 Buick Skylark, 4-spd, needs motor, $200 OBO. ***-***-****.

Toyotas aren't bad and look at the price! $300 whole bucks!! Hm... I think that's just to much for me. */scarcasim(sp?)*

1986 DODGE CARAVAN, maroon. Runs, but has a couple problems. $500. ***-***-****.

Caravan... hmm... not my type... Another one. There aren't that many in those, but there are other papers and a whole lot more that are cheap like that. Believe me now? No? Here are a few more that I just found at this address.</span>

TOYOTA MR2, 1986, needs minor work, $500. Call after 7 p.m. ***-***-****.
1994 CHEVY Corsica, needs head gasket, $600. ***-***-****

No, you won't get a nice new looking shiny car. But it'll be something good for my first car. You know?
Go Hokies!

#22 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 11:11 PM

You're aware that those cars are 15 to 20 years old and most of them say right in the ad that they're not running, right?

Needs work == doesn't run.

Needs motor == doesn't run.

Needs head gasket == doesn't run.

These are all cars that would fetch $100 for scrap so the owner is trying to find someone who is willing to spend the time and money to fix them up. Most of those cars probably require $1k or more to run properly and will never be reliable. The owners have run them into the ground and they have decided that it's not worth dumping another $1200 into that old clunker to get it working again so they shelled out for a new car instead.

The price of junk is the same here in California as it is in Virginia.

Sorry to disappoint you.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#23 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 01:16 PM

Ahh the joy of finding cars. I got lucky and picked up my mothers 87 volvo wagon, and drove that thing for a year and a half. Now I drive a 87 austin mini(yes the old ones, the new ones blow) that I restored. And on really nice days I take my Lotus out all of which happen to be stick. My brother did the wait until he was 18 till he got his DL, and it really sucked. I had to depend on the parents for another 2 years.
Back from the dead
-Shoot first, count bodys later

#24 JT Nerf Girl

JT Nerf Girl

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 01:36 PM

You guys aren't understanding. That's not even HALF the ads that are around here. And not all of them say 'Needs work' or anything. We do have a lot of cheaper cars.

I don't *want* to make payments, I just want a cheap car that I can drive to school. It's my first car so I don't need an expensive car.

Go Hokies!

#25 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:03 AM

[color=purple]You guys aren't understanding. That's not even HALF the ads that are around here. And not all of them say 'Needs work' or anything. We do have a lot of cheaper cars.

i do understan that i could aford a car for 300. i lived in tx for two years. it is the truth my dad wont pay over 500 for a car ecept for a 1987 porche which does not have a motor. now the thing i dont understand is why the hell did you want to know if people had the drivers licenes or not? whe you get one you get one and use it. the other thing i don't understant is why did you tell the hole nerf comunity about your driving experiences with you father? what was the point in that?
Die you super-monkey fuck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users