I'll jump on the bandwagon

7 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:39 PM

My first attempt at a homemade, and failed miserably.

Posted Image

All my darts fishtail, hoping to use heavier darts soon, getting 80ft off of this thing is bugging me. I'm getting around 50-60psi using 1/4 steel shot, so it's a bit out of proportion. Suggestions for weight NEEDED.

~ompa

#2 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Perhaps just a longer barrel? Try the next size up in fishing weights from 3/0.

#3 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, i'd make a couple of darts that slowly increase in weight, stepping up each time. And also, the barrel suggestion wasn't too bad, that does seem pretty short for a home-made.

Oh, and by the way, seriously sexy hose handle there :P :P
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:13 AM

The barrel is 18 inches long, actually, 17 as of now. Should I try darts with 2 steel shot in them?

~ompa

#5 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:35 PM

i'd try 2steel shot, but its gonna hurt like hell in a nerf war. The gun is quite good, just may be too powerful for the darts used as 99% of homemades are. I know for certain I use at least 2 steel shot on my powerful nerf guns.

#6 Guest_nerferdude_*

Guest_nerferdude_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:29 PM

find out what size of slingshots ammo fits on the end of your darts, and then use some tape and just tape it firmly on. That works fine. Unless you shoot people. Then it's not so good.

#7 earl the bunny

earl the bunny

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:18 PM

You should try using less pressure, like maybe 20-30 PSI. That way it will be safer and more reliable. Sometimes too much pressure isn't a good thing.

#8 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:48 PM

First off, Ompa, nice work.
I think I know the reasons you are getting bad ranges.

1. You have a front trigger nozzle (bad airflow)
2. How long is the actual barrel? It might not be long enough to build up momentum with the slower moving air.

With that small airtank, you desperately need to let the air out fast. Even if you leave the ball valve open, the air escapes too slowly to make a good range.

My recommendation? Try a more efficient homemade, and use that sexy breech on it. Kudos,
~Vintage

Edit:
This is my second homemade P90 with a front trigger nozzle. It sucks. Even at 80 PSI, it only gets 40 feet. In a short while, I will post my first homemade with my new valve. The prototype is already done, it just isn't a pretty design...yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image
It's horrible, even if I let all the air out at once.

Edited by Vintage, 13 November 2004 - 12:36 AM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users