My Homemade Questions..

some things before I start building..

8 replies to this topic

#1 cammodude91

cammodude91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:00 PM

Hi im planning to make a BAMF! check the homemade section of NerfHaven for more information. I have modded a few things and may upload a design soon if any1 answers a few questions I have.

1: How is it possible to keep the ammo from falling out if the gun is pointed down?

2: How can i hook the CO2 up to the Tire Valve, i want it so you can use a bike pump or CO2 cartridges, so what kind of "adapter" will i need to build to put on the tire valve for CO2 input? How do i build this?

3: How far can i expect it to shoot?

4: any ideas of waht to shoot? i wanna use ping pong balls (40mm, i dun really kare for ping pong balls but i dun wanna shoot darts, this is for fun, not hunting! should i just foam plate darts?) but is there a way i can change the barrels size without messing up the whole thing's porportions..?

EDIT: If I find answers, I will put them here.

2: I found a bike pump with a CO2 Cartridge hookup for 5 bucks. seems decent. Anyone use these things? http://www.rei.com/o...ct/47685053.htm? However, the tank is bigger then the cartridge.. and using a sprinkler valve as a switch to fire.. wont the mini cartridges completely empty into the air tank and then when you fire it uses all the air on one shot? :P

Please remember to help with the questions!

Edited by cammodude91, 27 August 2004 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:34 PM

Hrm...

1. if your darts (or whatever else you're shooting out of the gun) fit snugly into your barrel, they won't fall out. Stefans can be compressed a bit and fit into a barrel, they'll expand back to their original size and seal against the barrel niceley.

2. There are tubeless tire valve stems that fit through a hole in the rim of the tire. It's quite easy to put one through a hole in PVC pipe. Most hardware stores should have them, look by the pumps.

3. No clue. That entireley depends on the pressure of your system, the size of your air tank, the diameter and length of your barrel, the seal between your dart and your barrel, the friction of the interior of the barrel, the valve, and a bunch of other factors.

4. Try stefans. They're cheap, easy to make, and can be shot easily. Read around for information on stefans and barrels. I believe someone (CXWQ?) posted an article on selecting the right barrel. If you want to shoot ping-pong balls (which would be fun, now that I think about it...), all you'd need to do is make everything on the gun larger.

As for the CO2 bike pump... CO2 cartridges get expensive after a while. I'd suggest that you get a small air pump instead.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#3 cammodude91

cammodude91

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:55 PM

is there any posts here on how co2 is made? :P

#4 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

Don't hold your breath. :P
"The 'dance goes on..."

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Don't hold your breath. :P

Oh God I just laughed so hard my son came in to ask if I was alright.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:41 PM

AHAHAHAHHAHAHA thats beautiful! hahahahahAHAH *dies* :P
~SS

#7 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

1: How is it possible to keep the ammo from falling out if the gun is pointed down?

2: How can i hook the CO2 up to the Tire Valve, i want it so you can use a bike pump or CO2 cartridges, so what kind of "adapter" will i need to build to put on the tire valve for CO2 input? How do i build this?

4: any ideas of waht to shoot? i wanna use ping pong balls (40mm, i dun really kare for ping pong balls but i dun wanna shoot darts, this is for fun, not hunting! should i just foam plate darts...

1. The barell material of 17/32 brass used for telescoping barells and in the case of CXWQ's BAMF, the barell grips the dart tightly enough so that gravity can't pull it out. If the dart were insterted in a larger ID pipe, such as 9/16, then it could slide out.

2. I'm not sure CO2/Tire valve is a very good idea. I would reccomend getting a CO2 regulator, which allows cartridges to let their pressure be distributed evenly. I know such websites as SPUDTECH might carry something of the like, but they can sometimes be hard to find. I'm just concerned on the safety factor of a tire valve'd CO2 connection.

3. Depending on how powerful the gun is, You probaly will want to shoot stefans, as spheres like paintballs and ping pong balls are "the geometrically worst possible projecticle". The more powerful your gun is, the heavier your darts will need to be to prevent fishtailing. However, if you really want to shoot something other than stefans...maybe little rubber balls, or in safetie's case...Marshmallows? I've been shot with a marshmallow shot from a spud gun and it does hurt, but that was from a very high-tourqe gun. Mini marshmallows fit decently in 1/2" PVC. Just make sure that you don't get DVW pipng, because it is not pressure rated(You will blow yourself up!) and looks like regular PVC. One way to distinguish it is it's thin wall thickness. PVC has a thicker wall.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#8 notorious oxide

notorious oxide

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:47 AM

spheres like paintballs and ping pong balls are "the geometrically worst possible projecticle".

i tried marbles in 15mm pvc and with 20psi it goes across half a baseball feild
it hurt when i got 1 in the back of my leg
it swelled up and i couldnt walk on it for a few min :P
but that was from a couple feet away
-------
COREY

#9 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:06 AM

i tried marbles in 15mm pvc and with 20psi it goes across half a baseball feild
it hurt when i got 1 in the back of my leg

Of course it hurts, its a freakin' marble.
What were you thinking?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users