Plans For My Next Homemade

Whadda ya think?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Tlp baps

Tlp baps

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:28 PM

I've been playing with my two homemade guns alot this week... Not in a war or anything, just target shooting. I've noticed, as many people have before me, it's hard to hit anything over 70ft with a Ballvalve-operated gun.

Soo.... With the holidays coming up, I desided to start making plans for a solenoid operated gun, in hopes of it being more accurate. Here are the plans I drew. (A larger picture will be up soon)

The parts are labeled by color.
I mis-typed the label "Scope" it should be "Sight".
A scope would be a bit overkill for a Nerf gun. Darts just arent accurate over 100ft.

Anyway, before I spend too much money on this, tell me what you think.

---------
How's my posting? Email me at tlpbaps@gmail.com
----------
And as always, "Nerfo ergo sum"
~Me

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

Great idea, but it looks like ROF will be a mojor problem. Also try to modified a solenoid beacause it would work alot better that way.

EDIT/ sorry if it sounded like I was bashing your ideas.

Edited by FIDO, 18 October 2004 - 08:41 PM.

Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:26 AM

When you modify a solenoid valve, what are the advanatges?
But, how how do you modify a solenoid valve?

-TIG.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#4 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:16 AM

great idea, but it looks like ROF will be a mojor problem. Also try to modified a selinoid(sp?) beacause it wuld work alot better that way.

Wow. You even edited that post and still completely overlooked your errors. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for reading that garbled distortion of insane rantings. Billy Madison - great movie, check it out.

Baps, approximately how long will the gun be? The barrel alone looks like it's two feet long.
"I figured out what was wrong with your vacuum. Turns out a half-eaten meatball was clogging up the intake."
"Oh...well, did ya save it?"
"Uh-no."
"...You bastard."
-Family Guy

#5 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:15 AM

great idea, but it looks like ROF will be a mojor problem. Also try to modified a selinoid(sp?) beacause it wuld work alot better that way.

FIDO, that's one priceless post. I bet you my left testicle that if I searched for all of the posts posted by you, a good chunk, or the majority, would be you flaming other members for their mistakes. You especially like to pick on the newbies, and when you do, you don't exactly make them want to change because you're so merciless with your "flames".

I think this will be your opportunity to reflect on yourself, and see if it's worth being such a hard-ass hypocrit; or whether it's time to change.

------------------

The homemade sounds, okay at best. I think that you need to rethink your plans before continuing. But that's only my opinion.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#6 Tlp baps

Tlp baps

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:16 AM

The homemade sounds, okay at best. I think that you need to rethink your plans before continuing. But that's only my opinion.

Can you elaborate that a bit? What part should I change?

FIDO,

ROF isnt really a problem; this will primarily be a target shooting gun; accuracy and range matters most to me.
Also, How do you modify a solenoid vavle? I've never built anything with them before, so I dont have much experience with the workings of one.

Inferno,

The gun will be about 45-50" in length; making it the longest of all the guns I have. As I said, this is primarily a target shooting gun (homemades are banned in our wars). I might evan make a bi-pod, partly to help hold the gun up and also to achieve highest accuracy possible.
~Baps
---------
----------
"Nerfo ergo sum"
~Me

#7 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:23 PM

Can you elaborate that a bit? What part should I change?

FIDO,

ROF isnt really a problem; this will primarily be a target shooting gun; accuracy and range matters most to me.
Also, How do you modify a solenoid vavle? I've never built anything with them before, so I dont have much experience with the workings of one.

Inferno,

The gun will be about 45-50" in length; making it the longest of all the guns I have. As I said, this is primarily a target shooting gun (homemades are banned in our wars). I might evan make a bi-pod, partly to help hold the gun up and also to achieve highest accuracy possible.

Well, quite simply, it looks too big and bulky, the ball valve isn't a good trigger, and the pumping will be a bitch. I don't see where you would mount the pump to make it nice a comfortable.

If you can make it work, all the more power to you. I've just made a few homemades myself, and they aren't as easy to make as they look.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:55 PM

YARG it's a soldenoid!

~ompa

#9 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

FIDO, that's one priceless post. I bet you my left testicle that if I searched for all of the posts posted by you, a good chunk, or the majority, would be you flaming other members for their mistakes. You especially like to pick on the newbies, and when you do, you don't exactly make them want to change because you're so merciless with your "flames".

You have told me the before and I thought that I had learned. Look at all my posts after you flamed me and you will see that I have already changed.

Tlp_baps, I will probably get flamed for this, but I don't really know. I'll tell you how I think you can modify it. First you take out the valve and the batteries. Then you get a blowgun or whatever you want to use to acivate the se
solenoid. After that you connect the blowgun to the solenoid with vinyl tubing. Make sure that there is a air-tight seal between the blowgund and the solenoid.

Remember, I was trying to just make out what my freind did to his solenoid valve. I hope he comes and explains it better.
EDIT/ Inferno, thanks for checking that.

Edited by FIDO, 18 October 2004 - 08:39 PM.

Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#10 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:32 PM

You have told me the before and I thought that I had learned. Look at all my posts after you flamed me and you will see that I have already changed.

Tlp_baps, I will probably get flamed for this, but I don't really know. I'll tell you how I think you can modify it. First you take out the valve and the batteries. THen you get a blowgun or whatever you want to use to acivate the selinoid. After that you connect the blowgun to the selinoid with vinyl tubing. Make sure that there is a air-tight seal between the blowgund and the selinoid.

Remember, I was trying to just make out what my freind did to his selinoid valve. I hope he comes and explains it better.

OK, now I'm confused. Are you just joking or are you totally oblivious to your errors? I don't mean to pick on you, but it's solenoid, not selinoid. Maybe you need to change just a little bit more. By that I mean double-checking your posts for clarity.

Tlp_baps, if the gun's total length will be 45-50", just about how long do you figure the barrel will be? Half the length of the gun?
"I figured out what was wrong with your vacuum. Turns out a half-eaten meatball was clogging up the intake."
"Oh...well, did ya save it?"
"Uh-no."
"...You bastard."
-Family Guy

#11 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:36 AM

But, how do you modify a solenoid valve?

Yeah....

-TIG.

Edited by The Inventor Guy, 19 October 2004 - 01:37 AM.

#12 Tlp baps

Tlp baps

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:17 AM

The ball valve isn't a good trigger

True. Thats why I'm planning to use an 'Electronic Solenoid Valve'. From my understanding (I may be wrong), an electronic solenoid valve is a diaphragm valve, in which a small motor opens the release vavle. Air escapes out of the release vavle creating a pressure difference, realsing the main volume of air through the diaphragm.

Check this. It shows how a diaphragm valve works. http://toykeeper.net/spud/theory.php.

And yes, the barrel will be almost half (about 3/7) the length of the gun.
~Baps
---------
----------
"Nerfo ergo sum"
~Me

#13 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

But, how do you modify a solenoid valve?

Yeah....

-TIG.

Modifiying a solenoid is to drill a hole in the top basically and inserting a proper NPT threading and then attaching a hose to the NPT and then the hose to a blowgun. If all this jargon confuses you, check out the pnuematic section of the forums of www.spudtech.com.SpudTech-click on the "Forums" button at the top.

Yeah...

Yeah.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#14 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:02 AM

Yeah...

Yeah.

Yeah.

Thanks for that. Do they work well though when done like that?

-TIG.

Edited by The Inventor Guy, 23 October 2004 - 05:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users