Pvc Or Brass Barrels

what is better

11 replies to this topic

#1 physiquemodified

physiquemodified

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:30 AM

Does anyone know what the advantages of pvc and brass barrels are and their disadvantages. In what types of mods should you use either brass or pvc and why.

#2 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:09 AM

Use the search feature on the front page and do some reseach. But generally PVC/CPVC is better on sping guns to allow pressure to build up before the dart fires. Brass is better for pump guns b/c it has lower friction and the pressure is highest when it is released, thus does not need to build behind the dart.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#3 physiquemodified

physiquemodified

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:08 PM

how come i am the only one that did a titan mod with a brass barrel out of all the people that so far ive seen pictures of up from this forum.

#4 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

To figure that out I geuss you should ask them.

Use propper grammer or you will probibly be banned or deleted from this forum.
~Halfling

#5 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:49 PM

Grammar does need work, but I don't think that he'll get "banned or deleted from this forum."

Chill like a villain on pennicillan, little if anything is your call 1/2.

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 19 October 2004 - 01:49 PM.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#6 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:22 PM

Use the search feature on the front page and do some reseach. But generally PVC/CPVC is better on sping guns to allow pressure to build up before the dart fires. Brass is better for pump guns b/c it has lower friction and the pressure is highest when it is released, thus does not need to build behind the dart.

I'd disagree. Nested brass is better on spring guns.

And physique- I did a brass mod with around 2 months ago. Search ompa's mod- I posted it there. Also, 16 inches is needed for optimal performance- you said you used like 8 inches- losing lotsa range.

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:35 PM

A lot of people don't bother posting their mods up because simply swapping the stock barrel out and replacing it with something else has been done so many times it's pretty boring. Essentially, there's no difference between a barrel replacement on a Titan, sm5k, Blast Bazooka, etc. They're all high volume pump guns. Been there, done that.

This subject has really been talked to death over the years. We're pretty much in agreement on what types of barrel work best in what situations so it's a no-brainer at this point. All you need in your barrel mod toolbox is nested brass for spring guns and whatever fits your darts for pump guns.

Honestly, I've had the Titan sitting in my garage for a couple months now. I have a bunch of brass on my workbench. I already know what's going to happen when I put them together so it's not all that interesting to me.

I wish Nerf would come out with something dramatically new and interesting rather than a new BF, a new 5k, and a new LnL. Of course, if you had asked any of the people who missed out on buying those guns the first time around, they would have had a very different opinion. Until the core technology that Nerf guns are based on changes, I doubt I'll be doing that many mod writeups.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 Precision

Precision

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:32 PM

I like my pvc on pump guns. It works great on my at3k. I haven't found ANY brass or good copper at my local hardware store so I haven't had the chance to test barrels. This topic has been done a million times so this topic is pretty stupid. I'd suggest a topic removal.
Headshot every time....

#9 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:36 PM

You need to keep in mind, PVC is meant for megas and brass is for micros. Useing micros should get you more range than megas. Their are other materials for micros such as PETG and CPVC. The only one that is best is what fits YOUR own darts best.

#10 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

PVC doesn't always have to be used for a barrel. As you may have seen in some of the mods here, it can nest brass for strength.

Like Ninjz said, whatever fits your darts best is your best barrel.

#11 Zyzybalooba

Zyzybalooba

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:37 PM

Go with the universal saying: "Whatever fits your damn FBR."

But, I find 80SCH PVC works well with micro stefans I make. I am planning on trying copper to just lengthen the barrel beacuse it is smooth like brass, yet not quite as expensive.

#12 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:20 PM

Hey Precision I have a topic in general about buying brass without paying for the shipping just do a search, it might help you out a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users