To start off, open up the gun, if you can't pry the orange ring off whole, as I have, hack it off, dremel it off, what have you. Once open, start off by plugging the overpressure valve, as should be done with almost any air gun.
Then attempt to remove that worthless pressure gauge. It never worked for me anyways, it started half full, and each time I got it full and fired it would end up behind where it began. So it needs to go. To remove, simply remove the center screw holding it in, and you should be able to remove it. If not, then rotate it all the way forwards, and you'll see a screw hole, remove screw, then rotate all the way back and remove screw.
Using pliers, remove the plastic cap keeping the tube on the gauge and valve. Remove the piece of junk and continue. Once again, remove the plastic cap keeping the tube on; this one is on the pump. Then, remove the ball bearings as in ompa's mod (props to ompa for a great mod!), but this time the front trigger and all it's parts, as well as the tube leading to the hornet's mounting point.
You should have now reduced the gun to the basics. Two things left to do.
I did what is called the bic pen mod of reducing trigger pull, I personally use the left over parts of larami trigger mechs, the odd shaped plastic bits that rotate with the trigger and firing pin are almost always perfect. That part would be the hot glue bit in the picture below, it makes it possible to release the air much faster.
Second part, very important. Get screws (I preferred wood screws for this because of their large threads) about the same diameter as the hole for the removed piping (don't count the threads, just the center of this screw in this estimate.)
Once this is all done, remove everything from the shell, and start hacking. All I can say to guide you, and cut around where the grip your hand would hold it with is. Additionally, I decided to keep the front screw of the front handle in place. The other cut I made was the back pump. I found a space where there was a sort of existing plastic wall, already facing up and cut down to there (it also happens to be where a screw is, but make sure you cut the top half of the butt).
After it was all put back together, it only took 20-25 pumps to get it as full as 25-30 had earlier.
Looking for pics? Without them, Iím almost sure no one would understand me.
This is the main pic, it shows both the screws in place of tubing, as well as the trigger pull fix.
Final product! Sorry, no ranges as of yet, seeing as my freaking stefans aren't a) weighted enough, and b ) tight fitting enough. I'll find some fishing sinkers and try again.
Just to show the lack of gauge.
So there you have it, much more comfortable (the 'butt' no longer gets in the way if used like a gun butt, you can easily look through the sight), fairly better all around, and the trigger pull is so much better (try it, you'll be amazed).
Suggestions and comments welcomed, any griping about grammar or spelling, take it up with ms word...
p.s. extra pics on request
*edit* One thing not mentioned, it can use the scout, because it's awesome and doesn't otherwise affect performance.
Edited by Jlego, 18 October 2004 - 10:17 PM.