Photo

Pvc Cutting

13 replies to this topic

#1 frigginninja

frigginninja

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:47 PM

How do you cut larger PVC so that it is nice and perpendicular and clean on the end? Like for 2" PVC. I tried a hacksaw but it's not very clean or accurate. All of the specific PVC cutters I have seen say that they only cut up to 1-5/8" diameter.

So do you have to use a big table saw for anything over 1-5/8", or is there another way?

Edited by frigginninja, 16 October 2004 - 08:47 PM.

This is not the greatest sig in the world . . . this is just a tribute

#2 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:44 PM

I use a table saw fopr everything I cut, even brass. And it works great!

#3 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

I cut it with a hacksaw, and of course its uneven, so i sand down the edges until i get a straight enough edge to work with.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#4 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:06 PM

Hacksaw with a miter box gives good results, take your time with it. I'm a little more used to a coping saw myself. Ask your pops or any tool inclined fellow (if he really isn't)
I hate you.

#5 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:16 AM

I use a giant pipe cutter for all my pipe cutting needs. It gives incredibly good results, except the top edge usually needs to be sanded down.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#6 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:18 AM

You can find larger cutters but if you don't have a hacksaw and box pick one up you'll get more use out of it, for instance it works well for making darts.

#7 Zyzybalooba

Zyzybalooba

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:22 PM

For exact lengths, I use a dremel, though if you are not careful, you can easily break cutting disks. Also, I found good results with a hacksaw for barrels and such, as long as you just dremel the edges afterwards. You don't get a perfect measurement, but it has a clean cut.

#8 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:22 PM

I use a hacksaw sometimes but I have one of those fancy wancy table sanders that can really sand good, if I cut the pipe wrong then I can just sand down the bad spot. Then if there is stuff inside the piope I use my drill rasp to get that out. All in all it works very very very well.

#9 frigginninja

frigginninja

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:50 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, the hacksaw/miter box combo is workin well. Holy crap, I would think that it would take a long time to use a dremel disc :w00t:
This is not the greatest sig in the world . . . this is just a tribute

#10 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

whats a mitter box?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#11 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:35 PM

whats a mitter box?

A miter box is a box that you use for getting straight cuts out of hacksaws. Ask your dad, he probably can show you one.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#12 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

4 words:

Japanese Pull-action saw.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#13 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:47 PM

Oh ok thanks
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#14 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:02 AM

I actually use an electrical jigsaw, which is nice because it delivers straight cuts. If you're really into it, you can (as one of my friends does [gr?]) get or happen to have a bandsaw, but it's really not necessary. Before, I used the hacksaw. Allow yourself approx 1/4(if you suck at cutting)-1/16" extra room for sanding down to size. The extra space will allow you to smoothen it out as well as make it flatter. Start with a file if the cut really sucked.
Indiana '11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users