Glue You Use?

Mmmm...fumes...

10 replies to this topic

#1 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

Hey all. Just as a note before I start, I searched for glue and almost every topic came up, ever. So, I decided to start a topic on it in and of itself.

Okay, basic question is, what kind of glue do you use, for anything? I'm trying to do a barrel and stock mod on my BBB, but I'm afraid the stock is gonna tank as soon as pick the gun up. So, do you guys have any recommendations? To provide my own input, this is what I've used hrough time: 3M Superglue Gel, JB Weld, hotglue (only for darts though, or as a secondary sealer/shock absorber), Devcon "Plastic Welder," and that cheap superglue you can find anywhere.

I used the Devcon on my Tornado to fix the cocking handle/rod problem, and it finally popped after a month (this also had a hanger wire for reinforcement), and now I'm using it to make a stock on my BBB. It didn't quirt seem to want to stick though, so I'm a little worried it won't stay. I'm using PVC and gluing it to the inside of the gun a good 3 inches or so, in that tube-thing underneath where the "scope" is.

So yeah, post results and opinions about the glue you use. Keep petty arguing to a minimum, if you can. Thanks a lot for any posts and help.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#2 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:17 AM

I use hotlgue supported with a layer of duct tape, and a tight two layers of electrical on everything. Ive had guns done that way and have held for 3 years ( I redid most of my guns to add couplers/different barrels ).

Edited by NinjZ, 10 October 2004 - 03:17 AM.

#3 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:59 AM

Single barelled SM1500 is my favriote.

#4 tucker

tucker

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:53 AM

I used epoxy on my LNL and it worked like a charm,use epoxy though you need to wait before tampering with what you put the epoxy on.

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people"

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:59 AM

As enticing as epoxy might sound, it doesn't create a great seal, or shall I say, a lasting one.

Use Plumber's Goop. It's like epoxy, only you can afford for it to bend because it's much more flexible and it creates an awesome seal.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:50 PM

Hotglue and goop are good, they make decent seals and the goop remains flexible after it drys.

Gorilla glue is pretty good. Nice and strong, easier to work with than super glue.

My favorite stuff is still duct tape tho. It holds stuff together and lasts forever. Its a classic.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#7 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:33 PM

Awesome guys, thanks for the input. I really don't want to fubar my BBB, so I really appreciate it. Thanks.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#8 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

What glue I use depends on the application in question. For air tight seals I use Goop, or a silicon based gule such as liquid nails. For repairing/permanent bonding of plastic I use epoxy. For darts, reenforcement and attaching parts I might need to remove later hot glue does the trick.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#9 Malgaar

Malgaar

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

I've had some bad luck with (5 min set) expoxy. Holding my crayola barrels onto the barrel assembly for my NFs proved to be too much for the stuff, even wrapped with e-tape and after the package-recomended 24 hour "cure" time. I would recomend (sorry about spelling) using several glues, if you can afford the extra space. IE, to solve my problem, I expoxied (for like, the third time), coated in a good layer of hot glue, followed with an e-tape wrap. It's held up so far.

#10 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:09 AM

I use hotglue to get my barrel on place (so you don't have to hold the barrel on while you wait for goop to dry) and then after the hotgl;ue dries I put on a layer of goop over the hotglue, sealing the hotglue and holding the barrel tighter.

I've been doing this for a long time and everytime I do, well, that gun still has a good barrel seal.

#11 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:41 PM

im hardcore AND USE COCK. I mean caulk. It seals really nice and smells really nice. Especially that silicon stuff that smells like petroleum like goop except 10x worse/better.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users