Anyone? Basically Finished!

49 replies to this topic

#26 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:45 AM

Don't worry, you won't have to.

We'll either just set up our own with our specs and such, or more likely copy ours accross and delete the entries [such as users "sasquatch" and "qwerty"].

Anyway, BIG exams and such coming up. And crimson buggered up his practice exams so his parents arn't happy. He's not on the net for the next 4 weeks. :angry:
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#27 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:34 PM

:w00t: , I wasn't on the net for a week, and it SUCKS!!!! :cry:

#28 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:34 AM

Okay, give me about 3-4 weeks and exams will be over, so me and crimson [not related to Crimson_Owl who just joined] will put pedal to the metal and get this up as soon as possible.

I've just got a new flash interface for the geographic selection of the nerfers and shit. It is just simply awesome. I might work on it one day soon and post a temp copy of it. It is seriously sex-eh.

Anyway, i'll keep you posted when this thing actually progresses.

#29 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:35 AM

So I'll host it, ok, sounds cool, cya.

#30 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:48 AM

Okay. One exam down [my only year 12 one] and three others remaining. Give me about two weeks and me and crimson will be up to completing the INDB. Unfortunately, I'm facing another major problem. My computer was reformatted/wiped/.owned by malware sort of stuff. So, for the moment, I'm not going to be up to anything much INDB wise.

The majority of my posts are going to come from school [during IT or my now free biology block] or the laptop [which i'm writing this on right now].

I've got this uber awesome flash design for the country selection going. If i can somehow manage to implement the longitude/latitude thing into this, it'll start getting pretty complex, but pretty sexy.

Most of all, i'm still in need of some suggestions. I'm basically creating a list of features and such for this project, without the NIC in mind. I mean, theres some really handy features and such out there, some still in developement, but what I need to know is what you guys want. Something realistic? Something crazy? Something revolutionary? Something that will change the NIC forever?

I need suggestions guys ...

- Tait.

#31 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:17 PM

Well, my exams are officially over. I think crimson's are too, but i'll have to check. So now that i have some time to start working on the site, i thought i'd actually post a write-up and description of what i'm trying to achieve here.

Although the concept behind the INDB should be pretty self explanatory, there are several extra features that will make it better than "just a database". People like Julie and, errrr, i forgot the other one, i think it was on 3M, have attempted this sort of stuff before, but never on the international scale. The INDB is designed to incorperate the entire NIC.

Apart from databasing the entire NIC, which will total over 1000 members world-wide, it will offer a searchibility unprecedented in past database attempts. Every field will be searchable [using a search form] as seen below.

Posted Image

The results will probably be displayed listed as Nickname, then the 3 Location Fields, then First/Last Names.

The fields themselves are yet to be decided upon completely. They are definitely set to include:
- Nickname
- Surname
- Suburb/Town
- State/Province/County
- Country
- Clan
- ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo Contact
- Email address

It will probably [in the near future] include:
- Longitude [Determined using this]
- Latitude [Determined using this]
- Forum Registered [NH/NHQ/Both .. Possibly NE or something]
- NH/NHQ Username
- Second or third addresses

On top of these, the ability to navigate the INDB extends to a flash interface. Although the mechanics are complete, i'm still yet to publish this, but maybe a screenshot is in order.

The lat/longitude features will enable each member to find its nearest nerfer. Simply clicking the button will locate say, the nearest 20 nerfers, and this might even be co-ordinated with the flash world navigation interface.

Upon registering for the INDB you will complete the form, and have the option of sending it to the relevant state/area manager. These havn't been decided upon yet, but i have offers from Langley and such. I will definitely be the Australian manager, and will manage any other country than America, as numbers will be minor.

Area managers will login and be greeted by the newest submissions. They will overlook the information, and correct minor spelling mistakes [Persay "Amerca"] and submit the information. They will also have the power to update the information and edit upon request. Possibly through an "edit information" button.

Posted Image

It will, down the side of the home page, have a list, like the forums, of the last 10 registered members. It will also include a list of the number of total members that have registered on the INDB.

More features to be listed and included, but thats it for now.

Excuse the screenshots, thats just the default search forms and tables and shit. In the future i'll colour them and all. For example, heres the current search form results:

Posted Image

Anyway, i can't wait to here from you all, i know this thing is turning out to be bigger than ben hur, but thanks to crimson, it might just happen. We so have to buy this guy something when its done. Okay, i will then. :lol:

Edited by taita_cakes, 23 November 2004 - 09:18 PM.

#32 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:32 PM

let us know when you need region admins to actually do something. like...via email or so.

#33 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

Sure Sure. I've just got to get onto crimson. I used to chat with him on DC++, but my comp got wiped and i can't reinstall it. We've had to email each other. We're completely relying on email contact at the moment.

#34 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

Well, my exams are officially over. I think crimson's are too, but i'll have to check. So now that i have some time to start working on the site, i thought i'd actually post a write-up and description of what i'm trying to achieve here.

Although the concept behind the INDB should be pretty self explanatory, there are several extra features that will make it better than "just a database". People like Julie and, errrr, i forgot the other one, i think it was on 3M, have attempted this sort of stuff before, but never on the international scale. The INDB is designed to incorperate the entire NIC.

Apart from databasing the entire NIC, which will total over 1000 members world-wide, it will offer a searchibility unprecedented in past database attempts. Every field will be searchable [using a search form] as seen below.

Posted Image

The results will probably be displayed listed as Nickname, then the 3 Location Fields, then First/Last Names.

The fields themselves are yet to be decided upon completely. They are definitely set to include:
- Nickname
- Surname
- Suburb/Town
- State/Province/County
- Country
- Clan
- ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo Contact
- Email address

It will probably [in the near future] include:
- Longitude [Determined using this]
- Latitude [Determined using this]
- Forum Registered [NH/NHQ/Both .. Possibly NE or something]
- NH/NHQ Username
- Second or third addresses

On top of these, the ability to navigate the INDB extends to a flash interface. Although the mechanics are complete, i'm still yet to publish this, but maybe a screenshot is in order.

The lat/longitude features will enable each member to find its nearest nerfer. Simply clicking the button will locate say, the nearest 20 nerfers, and this might even be co-ordinated with the flash world navigation interface.

Upon registering for the INDB you will complete the form, and have the option of sending it to the relevant state/area manager. These havn't been decided upon yet, but i have offers from Langley and such. I will definitely be the Australian manager, and will manage any other country than America, as numbers will be minor.

Area managers will login and be greeted by the newest submissions. They will overlook the information, and correct minor spelling mistakes [Persay "Amerca"] and submit the information. They will also have the power to update the information and edit upon request. Possibly through an "edit information" button.

Posted Image

It will, down the side of the home page, have a list, like the forums, of the last 10 registered members. It will also include a list of the number of total members that have registered on the INDB.

More features to be listed and included, but thats it for now.

Excuse the screenshots, thats just the default search forms and tables and shit. In the future i'll colour them and all. For example, heres the current search form results:

Posted Image

Anyway, i can't wait to here from you all, i know this thing is turning out to be bigger than ben hur, but thanks to crimson, it might just happen. We so have to buy this guy something when its done. Okay, i will then.  :nugget:

By NH you mean Nerfhome right ;) J/K.

Do you think this will take up over 10 GB of bandwidth a month? I'm getting some trafic on other websites that are hosted there. I would perfer it if I could upload it. and do the database, is that possible?

Edited by Dark1337, 03 December 2004 - 07:11 PM.

#35 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:46 PM

He doesn't want you. Fuck off.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#36 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:33 AM

He doesn't want you. Fuck off.

Woah mate, chill.

No, 1337, Tidge is biting the bullet and buying hosting. The INDB will be hosted under that.

Crimson is making some good progress again.

#37 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

Ok, I probably wouldn't be able to host it anyway ^_^ .

#38 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:11 AM

Okay, crimson's doing a fair bit of work on this, but progress was halted after I had to convert six pages of country names to another format.

convert this whole list into
eg.

<option value="geos/af.html"   >Afghanistan</option>

to

<option value="afghanistan">Afghanistan</option>

nice way to learn all the countrys (evil grin)
ignore the Select a country and Other options
-------------------------------------------------

<select name="country">
<option>select a country or location</option>
<option value="geos/xx.html"   >other</option>

<option value="afghanistan">Afghanistan</option>
<option value="akrotiri">Akrotiri</option>
<option value="albania">Albania</option>
<option value="algeria">Algeria</option>
<option value="american samoa">American Samoa</option>

AND SO IT CONTINUES

I had to do six pages of that. And that was after I removed the extra line every 5 options values.

Important:
The flash stuff is looking sexy, but I can't complete it until crimson completes his end of it all. To give you a little teaser, here is a link for the current version, without any real workings. Sexy? Agreed!

For those of you who don't have a proper flash player other than the ActiveX component, just open it with IE and it'll run fine :)

I'm going to go check on crimson.

#39 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:53 AM

Errr... that link doesn't work.

#40 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:37 PM

God Frigging Damn It.

It's got something to do with the CHMODing on the file.

Tell me if this one works for you, and excuse the size of the map, its because i had to edit the HTML and all and it losts its constraints and everything. Enjoy.

#41 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

...Sexy? Agreed!...

Yes, it is agreed. :D

#42 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:49 PM

err... if you tried to CHMOD something, wouldn't it fail unless you have the shell aliased up? Cuz *nix is case sensitive.. or am i just reading you wrong?
\m/-.-\m/

#43 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:11 PM

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it when it's done!

#44 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:25 PM

err... if you tried to CHMOD something, wouldn't it fail unless you have the shell aliased up? Cuz *nix is case sensitive.. or am i just reading you wrong?

No, i just meant when i upload a straight .swf file without its referencing .html file, it cannot be viewed by anyone but its creator. That's the CHMOD'ing i'm talking about. I couldn't be bothered getting the laptop out again and creating the .html so i just had to create the code for it again.

The new computer is being delivered either today or tommorrow, an excellent xmas gift. I can't wait for it. So much to do on it.

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it when it's done!

Neither can i, but i'm working on a complete graphics overall at the moment to match the animation. The intro is almost done again, i just need to find a better heart-beat effect.

#45 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:03 PM

No, i just meant when i upload a straight .swf file without its referencing .html file, it cannot be viewed by anyone but its creator. That's the CHMOD'ing i'm talking about. I couldn't be bothered getting the laptop out again and creating the .html so i just had to create the code for it again.

right, thats chmod-ing. chmod is a *nix command, i guess you're doing it through an FTP client? I dunno, i've only ever used command line ftp... sorry.
\m/-.-\m/

#46 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:28 AM

right, thats chmod-ing. chmod is a *nix command, i guess you're doing it through an FTP client? I dunno, i've only ever used command line ftp... sorry.

Yeah, same concept, just i didn't bother CHMODing it, i just hard coded the HTML which was painful to remember all the embed shit.

For some sex-eh flash animations, read on!

INCOMPLETE intro animation that has been reworked can be found here.
Currently, it needs a better [louder] heartbeat sound, i need to recover some of the old fonts and out them back into the animation, and i just generally need to improve on it. HAWT*

INCOMPLETE country selection flash animation, posted earlier. Found here. REALLY HAWT*

* Hotness agreed upon by TIG.

Edited by taita_cakes, 22 December 2004 - 12:29 AM.

#47 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:39 PM

it needs a better [louder] heartbeat sound

Ya, it really needs a way lounder heartbeat sound. Way louder.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#48 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Just say file permissions, it's easier.
On a POSIX system, or if you have Cygwin, you can fix that with chmod a+wx.

Edited by okto, 22 December 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#49 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:32 PM

Okto: Yeah yeah, it will always be CHMOD to me :nugget:

NSF: Yes, compeltely agreed, you would be suprised by the severe lack of heartbeat sound effects on most sites these days. I even tried audio searches and others, but TIG is working on one right now.

#50 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:36 AM

*BUMP*

Hi there, again.
I'm guessing many of you are half past over this topic, and want it to die, die, die, but I'd just like to inform you all and update you once again.

Although, realising the hopelessness of my Nerf Film [in terms of locals, actors, guns etc.] I have not abandoned the INDB project at all. I have little grasp on the server side coding of the INDB [in terms of the real functioning of the PHP and mySQL communications and shit] so, as most of you know, I out-sourced the project.

My coder, crimson, is a local, but when he recently moved house and went to uni, he's been without an internet connection and hasnt been working on the project as he is unable to gain access to the testing server that is SQL enabled. It's a lengthy project, although basically complete, he is adding new features and still yet to test the functioning of the end result.

I ask that you all be patient, and not deem this as a project that died without any effort. I'm merely waiting on the coding, with me and Tidge agreeing on hosting, as he looks to establish an AusNerf website.

Some of you may question the feasibility of the project itself. To those, I'd say it provides many useful features to a wide range of people:
- Helps Hasbro and such gather their own information on the locale and age of a wide range of buyers and customers. [EDIT: Damn, "Demographic" was the word I was struggling to find]
- Saves admins and users the frustration of endless "How old?" "Where from?" topics circulating the General and Off Topic forums for years.
- It also assists users in finding local nerfers to organise wars and such with, or just to meet

Many have given a previous look at this project, Julie did a small task for an assignment, One Man Clan is currently developing his own, and there has been discussion about it before. I just hope that this is the one. I also hope for co-operation when this is complete, to amplify the extent, connectivity and organisation of the NIC.

Cheers fattehs,
Tait.

Edited by taita_cakes, 29 March 2005 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users