Springfield Wwii Rifle Concept

Sketch. Will not build.

18 replies to this topic

#1 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:55 PM

This one is just a sketch, for those out there that like your realistic rifles. This one uses the same clip and firing mechanism as the M4A1 i designed, but with a smaller clip, and some nice, faked woodgrain resins, its a much cleaner and simpler rifle.

I'm not sure what rifle it is exactly, i would say the Springfield M-14 pictured below, but there is a lot left to the imagination. With my [and others] basic firing configuration used in the M4A1, what you can acheive and replicate is endless.

This is the Springfield set of rifles:
Posted Image

This is the famous magazine:
Posted Image

Sorry for the dodgy sketch, it was just something i knocked up while away at my beach house [which explains why i havn't posted in over a week].

Posted Image

Enjoy, discuss, bitch; its up to you ... :wacko:
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#2 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:56 PM

It's a cool concept, but keep in mind that the M1 Garand/Carbine and the M14 are both semi automatic rifles. If you could create a simple magazine feed system and incorperate a gas operated bolt that'd turn it into a machine. Otherwise if you want to stick with single shots, try to make a M40 or another famous bolt rifle. See my post if you need a hint.

P.S- Trying now to build a lever action design. Will let you know when I figure it out.
Yeah, life sucks, but it does guarantee a trip around the sun every 365 days.

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:47 PM

They mismarked the rifles on that image.

So you're trying to make a Model 03 Springfield? Or are you trying to make a Model 14? Or are you going in the middle of the two and creating a Model 1/Carbine? The designs differ a bit between the two, but if you really want to (except you live in Australia...right?) you can take a Ruger Mini-30 and use the primer/hairspray combo in the reloaded 7.62x39mm casing to shoot a stretched 3/8" stefan out the barrel. I'd go with that, but good luck with your design. It's not bad.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#4 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:52 AM

Sorry guys, you may have missed my intentions on not to physically build this one. Although its growing on me every day, i dont really want to build it [as i have the same old time, money, local nerfer and effort restrictions] i mainly put it here to show that you can build nearly any gun [in a bolt action format] using my basic cutlass + magazine setup.

I've always loved the sound those guns make when they're empty. As heard on such movies as Saving Private Ryan and some John Wayne war movie crap. Also audible in DoD. Its a short, sharp dinging bell sound. I think its when the metal piece shoots off the clip. I LOVE IT!

#5 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

It's when the bullet clip (not magazine--two different things there) is ejected on the last shot of a M1 semiauto Garand. The '03 Springfield is manually extracted after the rounds are slid off of the clip into the breech of the weapon. The M14 and M1C (Carbine) both take detachable magazines, hence no "ping" sound, which I would have to agree is an interesting feature of the M1. I personally don't see how it could "ping", unless it were under a great deal of pressure, much like a champaign (sp?) bottle and its cork.

If only this could be converted to a bullpup configuration...then we could use the M95 designs. Those are awesome rifles, my favorite of the Barrett collection, however unknown they are.

#6 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:18 PM

Oh gawd, people love their bullpup configurations don't they?

Either way, i LOVE that sound!

This thing is really growing on me. I've found out i've got real long summer holidays this year. I may even build it <_< :huh:

#7 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:08 AM

Yes. Keep in mind that BullPups look cool, but they're made for the size of it while keeping a long barrel.

-TIG.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#8 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:22 AM

Fair enough, but dont you wanna be different <_< :huh:

#9 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:42 AM

A long barrel means more accuracy, but it requires an increase in air pressure. A good solution to that is a nice trigger linkage to the a good valve (or set of valves) with a reg on a high-pressure tank. Then, we can keep our bullpup, bolt action, repeating rifle which we still can't use in all the good wars. Well, sounds good to me. and besides, who can say no to this? Even though that is the M90 and not the M95, the main visual difference is the curve of the bolt handle.

I have made a few single-shot bolt prototypes, but they leak air. I just can't seem to get the depth right for the o-ring grooves.

And if you don't want a bullpup, but still want a neat looking rifle, go with this. <_<

#10 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, love the adjustable stock on the loser rifle. I'd always had a concept for something similar to that, but the entire concept of creating a stock would mean i'd have to either get hold of a springer, or design a home-made that didnt use the back/stock area for air compression.

I've just worked out, in 3 weeks, i have a year 12 exam, and then 2-3 weeks later another 4 year 11 exams. Following that, i don't go back to school until late january ... w00t

#11 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

If someone really wants to, they could use spud gun technology. Instead of using a grill lighter, however, shotshell primers would work better. That way, you just pop out the old one, replace it with a new one, and fill up the shell. Now you have another shot from that shell. I think, though, that if I can facilitate the construction of something like this, I may make a few prototype casings out of old .50 AE casings for 1/2" stefans, or 7.62x39/51/54R casings for 3/8" stefans. That would be interesting.

<EDIT>After some test fitting, I have discovered that the plastic 20-bore (or gauge...depending on where you live) husks fit my mega stefans perfectly, so there may be another possibility, if anyone is serious about this</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 07 October 2004 - 05:06 PM.

#12 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

Hold on, are we talking about citrus launcher styled equipment here?

Shotshell primers? Costly?

I only know a bit about ballistics and how they work, just not the cost of that sort of stuff. Excuse my lack of a neck ^_^

#13 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:26 PM

What grade are you in, Taits? You speak of year 11/12 exams.
I'm in year 9.
Anyway, you need a firearms licence to even buy ammo in Australia.
If you're having trouble with propulsion ideas, PM me and I'll give you a few ideas.

-TIG.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#14 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:02 AM

I'm 15, should be in year 10, but skipped it, and am doing my VCE [HSC elsewhere]

Doing one year 12 subject [biol] and some hard ass year 11 subjects [such as chem, methods]

Not fun :nugget:

But at least i get massive holidays!

#15 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:49 PM

Yeah I knew about the whole firearms situation in Australia, because I'm writing a paper for my English class about it.

I can get unprimed brass and husks, but I'd have to be 18 in order to get anything else, like primers and powder. However, the primers are only there to ignite the aerosol in the casing/husk behind the dart in this design. Depending on the recoil of the firing of the dart, we could have semi- and fully-automatic nerf weapons. And I'm pretty sure everyone would also love to have a funtional flash hider on the muzzle of their nerf gun.

#16 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:40 AM

Meh. Too many dumb-fucks around here have already blown themselves up/shot themselves by screwing with this shit.

I'll be fine thanks.

#17 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:46 PM

Okay...I'll take that advice, although I haven't blown up yet. ^_^

I dunno, boltsniper was making something similar to what I was talking about, only his used a butane grill lighter and PVC casings. I think that primers and brass/steel casings would be easier/better/safer.

I am very close to completion on the design that you posted, only mine is a single shot, not a clip/mag fed repeater. All I need to do is find a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer, then it's complete. What is very interesting is that it requires casings made out of crayola markers, so every dart is in its own crayola barrel.

#18 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 02:45 AM

I know its a different thing all together, but just a month ago "man blows face off with failed pipe bomb" ... i think i'll be fine with compressed air guys!

#19 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:42 AM

Well if you still want to use old casings (although you never really said you did in the first place), you can just pop out the primers and there you go; a nice hole for air to travel through. That's what I've decided to do instead of the crayolas for the WWII rifle design of your's. Unfortunatley, I only have eight of the casing size needed. I guess I'll have to take a trip to my local army surplus store and pick up a bag of unprimed 50 AE reloadables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users