Photo

Dart Physics...

11 replies to this topic

#1 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:16 PM

I'm not really sure what forum to put this under. (Excuse any typos and missing spaces, this keyboard royally sucks)

If you have a knife, and you throw it, without any spin, it won't go as far as if you took the knife and spun it at something. Now, theoretically if you have a nerf dart that spins in that fashion, shouldn't it go farther then the current style of bullet?

So theoretically, if I created a gun that spun the dart (which we currently try NOT to do, by putting weight only on one end), wouldn't it go farther. Perhaps not levelled, but for an angled shot? Why don't we have guns that shoot in this fashion?

Something doesn't seem to make sense about this, but I can't really place it. Is the reason for not building one that shoots in this fashion due to mechanical complexity? I see that accuracy would go down, but not by a HUGE amount...

(Wow I managed to get through that without many typos...kudos to me)

AA
Indiana '11

#2 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

I'm not sure how weight on one end would make the dart spin, but you can do spiral porting on the barrels which can induce a rifling effect.

#3 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

The reason that a knife thrown without a spin goes slower is because when you try to keep it straight, your wrist is in a rigid postion, and you don't get a good wind up. A knife that spins when thrown wasn't being thrown from a rigid position, but the thrower got a good wind-up on his/her throw.

I hope I got the point across. ^_^
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#4 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:51 PM

If you have a knife, and you throw it, without any spin, it won't go as far as if you took the knife and spun it at something. Now, theoretically if you have a nerf dart that spins in that fashion, shouldn't it go farther then the current style of bullet?

If you mean throwing verticly(sp?) if you spun it it would give it a forward spin that creats high pressure on the bottom and low pressure on the top therfore causing the knife to stay up longer in the air, although I don't think that was what you were intending. if you were meaning rifling I don't really see how it would affect the range that much because it just counterbalances air pressure by spinning therfore creating equalibrium.

EDIT: I read your post again and now I understand it, but even though that would make the dart shoot alot farther, we couldn't make the dart do that and we couldn't stop the dart from spinning sideways after leaving the barrel.

Edited by FIDO, 15 September 2004 - 08:57 PM.

Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#5 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:23 PM

Remider: Foam are affected by the dart being slowed down due to gravity and air way more than a knife.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#6 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:50 PM

Remider: Foam are affected by the dart being slowed down due to gravity and air way more than a knife.

Although that creates more drag it also grabs more air for creating high pressure on the bottom side of the dart.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#7 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:11 PM

isn't there a paintball barrel that is less smooth on the top in order to give the painball backspin, causing the paint to travel further?

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:14 PM

What Jskater said.

It's not the rotation of the knife that gets better distance, it's the mechanics of that type of throw. Not only is a 'spear-style' throw less natural and slower, but in a rotating throw you actually gain speed from whipping the knife's center of gravity past your hand as you release.

Doesn't apply to nerf darts.

Re: spin, that applies to spheres. Ballguns anyone?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:04 PM

There is a paintball barrel called the flatline that uses a slighltly curved up barrel to put backspin on the ball for 150+ of extra flat trajectory. That's about doubling regualr PTG paintball ditstence. from 300 feet away the demonstrations guy can hit a cup w/ a 2inch diameter, but it costs $120 retail.

#10 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:40 AM

Or instead of wasting $120 for the flat line or whatever, airguns use a thing called a hopup which puts a backspin on the bb. All it is, is a piece of rubber on the top of the barrel which forces the bb to spin. About 50 cents retail at your nearest home depot.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#11 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:59 AM

A backspin on the projectile ws orgionally created by airsoft, called "hop-up". its also in Paintball, knows as a "Flatline Barrel". CX, ever wonder why a Ripsaw gets so much farther and much more accuratly then any other ballgun? The Ripsaw's firing mechanism naturally puts a backspin on the dart, and it works like great for a ballgun. Not something you would use in a war, but defiantly nice to know.

THIRST
ko

#12 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:38 PM

Hey thanks guys, that was really bugging me.
Indiana '11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users