Photo

Stefan Dart Weight Problem

10 replies to this topic

#1 danfluidmind

danfluidmind

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:59 PM

I'm starting to make my own Stefan darts and can't seem to get the weight right. I've tried hotglueing a BB-sized fishing weight into it, but that ends up making it too heavy--it hardly gets any distance before dropping to the ground. It seems to work better to just put a big glop of hotglue on the end. What is the best weight to put into a Stefan?

Thanks
--Dan

#2 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:03 PM

I've always used one .177 gram bb for a micro dart. For megas you should use three. Some brands are Copperhead and Daisy, and can be found at just about any sporting goods stores.
Yeah, life sucks, but it does guarantee a trip around the sun every 365 days.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

I'm assuming you're making the darts for a pistol based on your results. Here are the sizes I have tried, along with my typical usage:

Actual bbs made of steel or copper are worthless except for the lesser pistols or automatic guns. 3 of them is still significantly lighter than a single 1/4" steel shot and the ghetto construction will result in less accurate flight.

Size bb lead split shot is good for most pistols and mid-range guns but is somewhat lacking in high-powered rifles.

1/4" steel slingshot ammo is good for the best variety of guns in my opinion. They're only slightly too heavy for my SSII and only slightly too light for my Max Shot. In addition, they're completely spherical and slightly cheaper than fishing weights.

3/0 split shot is slightly heavier and will work better than the 1/4" steel shot in high power rifles, but at the cost of reduced performance in lower powered guns.

Size 7 lead split shot will get the most out of your homemade or sm5k, but is rediculously heavy for most guns.

After trying all of the above, I've ended up just using 1/4" steel shot for all my darts. I don't use uber long range rifles because I don't like the ROF and my SSII is pretty high powered for a pistol so this is a good weight for all the guns I actually use.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:16 PM

It could also be your dart-to-barrel fit. It might be too loose or too tight.

#5 WarGhost

WarGhost

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but how many 1/4" slingshot ammo's would u put in a micro stefan and a mega stefan?

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

One.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#7 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

For the Stephan problem, I just stick a tab of glue on the top of the dart and throw a tack on it. Works great for me...

#8 Zyzybalooba

Zyzybalooba

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

Stefan...

#9 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:46 PM

[OMITTED]

[EDIT]Wow. I'm a dumbass. My cookies don't reload so I thought this was a new topic. Sorry for posting in it. [/EDIT]

AA

Edited by AirApache, 25 October 2004 - 08:47 PM.

Indiana '11

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

Anyways, what he MEANS is this. He has a precalc project to do, that's due Wednesday, and he was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for how he can relate nerf and math and do a 10 minute project on it. And yes, I'm not kidding, he IS looking for this.

~ompa

#11 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:39 PM

Awesome...I've been looking at the darts/barrels article for the last halfhour with a buzz in my mind...Anyone wanna explain this in high schooler terms? I understand the concepts, but I gotta understand the math of it. Must...Finish...before...tonight!
Indiana '11

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users