And it's an iMac

24 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:57 AM

What do you guys think of the new iMac G5? I personally love it. It's design is very nice, it's quite powerful, and it actually starts at a very good price ($1300 for a 1.6 Ghz G5, with a 17 inch screen).

If anyone has seen it, check it out over at Apple.com or watch the video there too.

Edited by Ice Nine, 02 September 2004 - 08:58 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:39 AM

It's nice. But for $1300 I'd muuch rather have an Athlon 64 gaming rig with 19"crt. I personally think Macs are way to expensive, and also who plays games on a Mac?
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#3 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:43 AM

It's nice. But for $1300 I'd muuch rather have an Athlon 64 gaming rig with 19"crt. I personally think Macs are way to expensive, and also who plays games on a Mac?

Halo on a Mac looks fan-fucking-tastic.

I'm hoping to install Virtual PC for my laptop soon, though. That way I can play CS on my iBook.

Rnbw Cln

#4 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:57 AM

It's design is very nice, it's quite powerful, and it actually starts at a very good price ($1300 for a 1.6 Ghz G5, with a 17 inch screen).

Are those prices normal for a Mac? Sounds very expensive.

Edited by Chessler, 02 September 2004 - 09:57 AM.

#5 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, but for what they are used for, I think it is a good deal. If I were really into animation I would be willing to pay that much for that machine. Right now I just tinker with Anim8tor and AOI.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#6 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:49 AM

It looks nice but I notice that they don't show you the power supply. With the cube that they released it had a huge and hot power supply that they didn't tell you about in the initial anouncement. Dell has released several computers of similar design but I don't know if they have an external power supply, does anyone know about that?

#7 N-SQUAD

N-SQUAD

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:56 AM

Yah I think they look sweet and the prices are pretty good for a G5. I personally love macs over PCs anyday, in fact, I am on my powermac G4 right now, and we also have a powerbook G4. I think my brother may buy a new imac in the future, but he is still thinking about which one to get.
Overall, very nice.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

It looks nice but I notice that they don't show you the power supply.

The description on http://apple.com/imac/ states that "even the power supply — dwells inside the enchanting display".

I think it's ugly and without honor.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:41 PM

honor? what the hell does honor look like in a piece of silicon and plastic?

Halo on a Mac looks fan-fucking-tastic.

maybe cos it's on its native platform...

regarding prices, compare it to competing windows machines. oh wait...there aren't any.

#10 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

I think it's ugly and without honor.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#11 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

OK I guess that's what I get for not reading. Has anyone heard word on a G5 laptop? I can only use laptops for work so I've got to wait till they figure it out. I heard something about it being liquid cooled because it put off so much heat.

With that new design it would even be hard to make a fish tank out of. What's the world coming to when you can't do that with a mac?

Edited by sporkboyofjustice, 02 September 2004 - 02:34 PM.

#12 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Uhgg apples, why not just use Windows?

#13 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

Because ... you know... Ah, screw it, use Windows!

#14 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:50 PM

I just like my Mac. It's a perfectly fine computer, and with Virtual PC, I can play any game you fools can on your Winbox. Although it's probably not as fast or smooth, but internet connection is almost all that matters in CS, which is the game that I want to play most.

Rnbw Cln

#15 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:14 PM

I heard something about it being liquid cooled because it put off so much heat.

you heard wrong. the Power970, when speed throttled like it will be in the PowerBook G5, puts off less heat than most processors, along the lines of a Crusoe chip.
also, liquid cooling in a laptop is so prohibitively difficult as to be impossible. the mechanics of fitting it into a less-than-1-inch-thick case would be a nightmare, let alone the noise and outrageous power consuption.

#16 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:09 PM

Cause windows sucks. I'm not really going to go on again about apple vs mac. And I really don't see why people hate mac so freakin much. I don't like windows, but I'll use it if I have to for school or whatnot. I guess they just don't like the simplicity or interface. Or could it be because there's not too many games or programs for mac? Who knows. It's all about your personality and what you will use your computer for. Like Vintage said, macs are awesome for animation and design. The resolution on those puppies are also pretty sweet.

As for the new iMac, I think it looks pretty good. I still can't get over how skinny it is. But, I think I'm gonna use my old Mac for a while; we've been through four years of quality time *Pats his iMac*.

Edited by CustomSnake202, 02 September 2004 - 05:10 PM.

#17 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

Why not choose neither Window$ and Apple, and go with Linux instead? I am working on my weaning from Bill Gate's monstrosity. Open source rules!
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#18 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 08:41 AM

mmm... UNIX on a mac or Linux.... i personally run OS X, Windows XP, and Debian. of them all, my favorite, by far, is my eMac. It is a powerful combination of UNIX power and Apple beauty/simplicity of design/user friendliness.
\m/-.-\m/

#19 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:58 AM

a dual 2 GHZ processors outperform 2 xeon 4.8GHZ processors, bceause they have 64 bit technology. G5's are rediculouly powerful, and the successor to the xbox has 3 powerpc chips clocked at 3.5+ each according to the diagrams. Integration w/ XboxNext will enable it to have tons of gaming interest. Right now, Gates sends out g5's to the developers of XboxNext games. Why do you think all the sudden, so many gaming companies are putting games on Mac's also?

#20 BlueSmudge

BlueSmudge

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:47 PM

Cuz macs are awsome! If you like PC's but dont own a mac. Shut the hell up you stupid...stupid...i dont know. Your just stupid! You cant judge it with out using it.
I have a Mac and a PC, and I havnt used my PC for more than an hour in almost a year (since I got my mac).
I have a 1Ghz G4 eMac, and the speed blows the chips out my 2.4 Ghz PC's mother board.
Yes Macs are expensive, and I dont like that. But what can you expect from a revolutionary company who only lets one compnay use their operating systems. Themselves!
The simplicity of a mac is amazing, and now, many many games are made also for mac.
So suddenly, Macs are looking awsome... I mean, look at that G5!

#21 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:02 PM

I've got a PC i built myself, and an eMac. The PC is mine, so thats what i use, but i hate it..... oh i hate this computer. I LOATHE IT. its pure joy when i get the chance to sit down at my eMac, what a beautiful machine.... the eMac is the family computer.
I also love my iPod... oh, and

So suddenly, Macs are looking awsome... I mean, look at that G5!

is very true. When the announcement of the new iMacs came to slashdot, there were employees of Intel who said they wanted one... that is just awesome.
\m/-.-\m/

#22 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

Macs are godo from programming and grahpical design type stuff, I wouldnt suggest them for gameing. Sure Halo might look great on it, but I made my custom PC for cheaper and It can run ANY video game. Halo is one thing, but large mmorpgs are much tougher on a comp. Try running the new Doom on a Mac...

#23 N-SQUAD

N-SQUAD

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:33 PM

yah i own a powermac g4, not much but hey, I'm 12 so it's a pretty good computer for me. We also have a family sony vaio and 867 powerbook g4. I love my green iPod mini and my brother is the same way about his 3rd Gen. iPod.

#24 Terminator

Terminator

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:38 PM

In the word's of my tawainese freind, "ha ha, fuk yuu."

-Terminator

Edited by Terminator, 16 September 2004 - 06:39 PM.

"Okay, okay he has one testicle, hes areodynamic, everyone cut of your balls you'll be quicker!" - Robin Williams Live 2002.

#25 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

Regarding PPC vs. Intel architecture, it's misleading to say that one is faster than the other in all circumstances. There are applications that run faster on the mac, and applications that run faster on the pc. It's all about how the code is tweaked and whether the algorithm is more heavily dependant on floating point calculations or integer calculations.

For most of the last decade, Apple has been touting their chip's superiority over Intel based almost entirely upon Photoshop gaussian blur benchmarking. Hardly something we all do constantly, but it happens to be entirely floating point dependant so it makes the PPC look good.

The fact of the matter is that current desktop machines are not CPU bound for the vast majority of applications people run. Hard drives and bus architecture need to be improved significantly before anyone will realize the full benefit of even yesterday's processors.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users