It Spins!

21 replies to this topic

#1 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image

I was reading some topics on darts and got this idea. It's (clearly) based on the Stefan dart, but on the end you can see I did something a little different. Using a new and sharp xacto blade cut it into that shape as cleanly and symmetricly as possible. Then, heat up the xacto blade with the hot tip of a glue gun. Using the xacto, make all 4 flat surfaces on the back there a bit melted using the xacto's flat sides so that air won't pass through. Add the weight and hot glue on the other end as usual, and you probably shouldn't bore a hole in this kind of dart. So far I've only made these with 1/2 inch rod, and I do 2 1/4 inches long, and the 1/4 inch area is cut. I don't have enough of these made yet to do comparison testing (they take a long time), but I would guess they will improve accuracy based on the same concept that makes bicycles work.

EDIT: I think I'll call it the Bacon Dart.

Edited by PissBacon, 31 August 2004 - 12:18 AM.

#2 Gene-ious

Gene-ious

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

i like the idea.. but if it spins.. wont it become slower because of the rotations?
<----Down to Earth Thinker

#3 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:29 PM

i like the idea.. but if it spins.. wont it become slower because of the rotations?

Yes, if you don't perfectly straighten the dart, but it provides great accuacy.

PissBacon, are you sure they spin? because it doesn't look like they would to me.

Edited by FIDO, 29 August 2004 - 07:31 PM.

Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#4 Vblast

Vblast

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

Nice idea...let us know how it turns out.
I once saw an old lady slip and fall on a sidewalk and i laughed. Then i thought, what if i was an ant and she fell on me. Then it didn't seem quite so funny.

#5 Airsoft999

Airsoft999

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:35 PM

Yes, it works.

If you put little grooves perfectly in the sides of the dart, would that increase accuracy?

#6 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 08:48 PM

Airsoft, do you mean spiral grooves or what? And yes it does require precise cutting and shaping to make these darts work properly. It might be also possible to create a steeper angle of cut so that there is more spiral push on the dart.

#7 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

Oh, I see! It spins in the barrel. Cool.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#8 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

SUPER GOOD JOB! :blink: ! ! NICE! I LIKE IT!
PissBacon ' S Dart working good
Speed+
distance+
I lay aside to the floor test, it can equally really be able to transfer like the wheel
PissBacon, I may introduce your Darts in my web? I can symbol your name of your Creation

Edited by 3DBBQ, 30 August 2004 - 01:42 PM.

#9 Guest_ALIENfromMars_*

Guest_ALIENfromMars_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2004 - 02:28 PM

PissBacon, you made a good job here!
You should make more of those and sell em.

#10 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:39 PM

Can you give us a side by side comparison? Regular dart vs New Dart? I am going to try it myself, but it don't think there will be much noticable difference for the time invested, but I would like to see what others get as well.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#11 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

Considering friction and the sort, I wouldn't think it would spin in the barrel, but maybe once it left the barrel it would.

But that depends on how tight your darts are.

#12 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:37 PM

3DBBQ go ahead and use my design in your site.
I've been busy with school and all, but I'll try to get some comparisons in soon. It seems most of my guns are out of comission at the moment, but I have a feeling these will work best in my 19 inch modded storm2000. I'll try it out with stuff like my tech target too though.

#13 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:13 AM

Thank you

#14 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:11 AM

I tried melting the tip of a mega dart with the suction cup off. I did it to 3 darts, but only one came out right. It was a little less than an inch long, and I just used the tip of the glue gun to melt it. The one that actually worked went much farther and faster out of the barrel of my LnL. It looked just like your picture, but the grooves on each side of the dart that were melted are half as long as the dart (much longer grooves considering the dart is less than 1 inch long). I mean this thing is freakin tiny. But it was really hard to make, and it was mostly luck. So my suggestion would be to shorten the length of your dart, and keep those grooves about the same size. Remember, I was just messing with mega darts.

Edit: Oh yeah, the accuracy was drastically improved as well.

Edited by Inferno, 05 September 2004 - 02:12 AM.

"I figured out what was wrong with your vacuum. Turns out a half-eaten meatball was clogging up the intake."
"Oh...well, did ya save it?"
"Uh-no."
"...You bastard."
-Family Guy

#15 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

my 19 inch modded storm2000.

And what is that? Sorry to sound like an idiot, It sounds like a cross between a firestorm and at2k? I don't really know...
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#16 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (PissBacon @ Aug 30 2004, 06:37 PM)

And what is that? Sorry to sound like an idiot, It sounds like a cross between a firestorm and at2k? I don't really know...

Can you please stop reviving topics.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#17 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

First of all, its only 8 days only. In the CoC, it says "Do not bring back month old topics." I did not, it was 8 days ago, which I would not call "old". And two, this is the first "old" as you would say, topic I have brought up. Thridly, couldn't you have atleast answered my question? I did not post to be critizised(sp?), I posted to have my question answered.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#18 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

Ah.. piss you should be honored to let 3dbbq use your design ;). I was actually hoping it would reduce power, so that we could use it for the titan...but now that 3d thinks it will increase (and I'm more confident in him than in myself), If i can make a batch of those, I'll use em in my 1500...
Indiana '11

#19 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:58 PM

Looks like a great dart. Only one down side to it would be very time consuming to make like 300 of those and it would have to be made very precisely. Ill make a few and test to see if range+accuracy is better.

Edited by Osiris, 18 September 2004 - 06:00 PM.

#20 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

Looks like a great dart. Only one down side to it would be very time consuming to make like 300 of those and it would have to be made very precisely. Ill make a few and test to see if range+accuracy is better.

Ya, it works fine, but you hit it right on the spot. These are a pain to make.

#21 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:08 PM

Check out my posts which are down the first page through this link.

It works very well for accuracy and range. Mega sized works best for me when they are 2 inches long.

-TIG.

Edited by The Inventor Guy, 18 September 2004 - 09:08 PM.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#22 Gene-ious

Gene-ious

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:30 AM

its a water gun...
<----Down to Earth Thinker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users