Dcit

The "Don't Call It That"

43 replies to this topic

#1 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

After Nova in June, I pitched an idea to Split for a blaster. It would have a vertical plunger tube hooked up to a PVC T so it would work with RSCBs. After tossing around a few pictures back and forth, split came up with this.

Posted Image

Called the "Don't Call it That" (DCiT) after people started calling it the +fin. You're probably wondering how the trigger works. It is hooked up to a bicycle brake which moves the catch plate at the bottle of the handle. As for ranges, it is pulling off 90-100' with a 7 inch RSCB clip and a 12 inch CPVC barrel (picture taken with shorter barrel).

Most questions should probably be directed to split, though i'm sure he can answer them here.

Edited by koree, 17 August 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#2 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

What's teh red ball made out of?
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#3 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

It's a mcmaster knob.
I was planning on making the thread, but I s'pose this works. There are a bunch of neat things to highlight.
Teehee.

#4 cannotaim

cannotaim

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Is it a springer?

Edited by cannotaim, 17 August 2009 - 05:40 PM.

Blasphemy, what did I warn you about shoving things up your ass? First it was erasers, dice, and gerbils...now my wristbands? What's next, apples and grapefruit?-Groove

Nerflovers

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, the basic gist was to have a very compact one handed homemade. This setup accomplishes many things.
If it wasn't obvious, the plunger tube and plunger are in the handle. It has a +bow style catch at the bottom, and uses a brake line trigger.

I worked out the potential spring energy (the overall energy that propels the dart stored in a spring [in a springer, of course]) to be ~60 foot-pounds (british version of joules). In comparison, a fully primed +bow is ~69 foot-pounds, but this plunger tube is only a grand total of 6 inches long.

Yes, the air volume is quite smaller. It is the same part as a +bow plunger tube, so it has the same diameter, but it is 3.75" stroke as compared to the +bow's 6" (often +1/4"). I (as well as others) have found, though, that the inane amount of plunger volume in a +bow isn't greatly utilized. That's why many people who rely on +bows go to 16"+ barrels if they're looking for extra range. The volume in the dcit is a good compromise.

This has no almost no dead space in comparison to a +bow, and relative to a rscb'd +bow, is insanely efficient. I'll get a close up picture of the connection uploaded later (with many other pictures), but basically, at the end of the plunger tube, the (slanted) tee starts, leaving almost no dead space. This effectively works as the brisc does, pushing the air into the back of the dart, instead of making it turn.

Overall, koree is reporting <=10-15 foot range decrease from one of the best rscb +bow's I've seen, yet the main body of this gun only measures about 2.5" wide by 10" high by 1" thick.
Teehee.

#6 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thats an awesome range for such a compact gun. This design utilizes its space to great effect. Nicely done.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#7 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Awesome, I love the design. It's incredibly simple and very efficient.

I'll have to try something similar in the future.

Just curious, how much was the build cost?

#8 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Called the "Don't Call it That" (DCiT) after people started calling it the +fin.

Tee-hee!

Split, Koree, I know I've told you this, but that's a pretty fucking sweet project. It makes me look forward to "my" blaster, which is tangentially similar.

How did you end up manipulating the tee? Heating it until the bottom part is malleable and bendable?

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#9 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

Good work it is a very good idea. I hope to see it in action soon.
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#10 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Awesome job guys. Could we get some more pictures? maybe a write up...
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#11 Dr BoB

Dr BoB

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

How did you end up manipulating the tee? Heating it until the bottom part is malleable and bendable?

I am pretty sure they used a Y coupler just like in the BRISC.
QUOTE(Goombadude3 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:34 PM) View Post
The awkward cocker is a big down side

Yes it is indeed.

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I am pretty sure they used a Y coupler just like in the BRISC.

They didn't. I sent Split a few of those and he told me the slant was too steep for this application.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#13 Dr BoB

Dr BoB

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

Wow I am a retard. I totally forgot your the one who made the BRISC. If I did this I would boil the pvc. Although that would be pretty toxic.
QUOTE(Goombadude3 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:34 PM) View Post
The awkward cocker is a big down side

Yes it is indeed.

#14 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Just cut the tee at a calculated angle, curved the inlet of the end piece on the plunger tube.. I'm not going to really go into details, and definitely not going to make a writeup. I also want to discourage all copies of it, though spin-offs are a different story in that regard. I think this hobby needs more unique stuff like this. My new homemade (the LAB - finished, just need to post up the [already written] writeup) is all about customization. If I have enough time, I want to run a commission thread based around unique project ideas only.
Teehee.

#15 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

FEAR... Don't give it to ryan..
Very nice, cool as heck, I can't wait to touch it... your one of the few lucky people who have an Effeminate weapon shaped exactly around your play style, like ryan with his +bow or Groove and the Guru. Lucky, lucky few...
We have no sig.

#16 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

Is that your new side arm koree?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#17 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Looks pretty good, reminds me of a Razor Fin, just with a normal trigger instead of the garden hose-esque thing. Now make a removable clip system with the RSCB.
You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

#18 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

Removable clip system? I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

Busta, the gun was designed as a primary, and while it's tiny, it definitely gets primary worthy ranges.

Anyway, nicer pix:
Overall
Posted Image

Catch/Handle
Posted Image

Primed
Posted Image

Edited by Split, 07 September 2009 - 10:27 AM.

Teehee.

#19 nerfnrg

nerfnrg

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

The priming rod in the last picture looks kinda crooked. Is it? Also, the PVC T look like its pointing at an upwards angle.

~Nrg
Snake51886~ "Beware everyone...t2 has openly admitted to fucking 14 year olds...."
VindictivePancake~ "i've seen hot 10 year olds" - T2heavy
t2hevey~ "yupp"

(\ /)
(='.'=) <--Me
(")_(")

#20 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

The priming rod in the last picture looks kinda crooked. Is it? Also, the PVC T look like its pointing at an upwards angle.

~Nrg

I see you have OCD.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#21 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Clever idea, that break line. Koree showed me some pictures of it before completion, and I was wondering how in the hell the trigger was going to work.

#22 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Very nice, cool as heck, I can't wait to touch it...

I hate my mind.

On topic: Wow. How awkward is it to prime?

#23 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

I hate my mind.

Less awkward than the +bow actually. It's about as easy to prime as my NFs. I just tip it down and use my left hand to prime, this motion also lets me prepare the RSCB in one smooth action.

Edited by koree, 22 August 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#24 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

I hate my mind.

Less awkward than the +bow actually. It's about as easy to prime as my NFs. I just tip it down and use my left hand to prime, this motion also lets me prepare the RSCB in one smooth action.

Good. What about if you were to integrate this into the front of a +bow?

#25 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

I hate my mind.

Eh, not as bad as me. I keep reading "Dclit"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users