Modding A Bbb

Yes, I searched the forum before posting

17 replies to this topic

#1 FearNoMoshpit

FearNoMoshpit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:52 AM

'k, so I'm a long time nerfer, on and off, but I've only recently come upon the idea of modding. I've opened guns up and messed around with them to fix them, but I've never thought of changing anything until I randomly came across NerfOnline.

Anyway, so I'm trying to make a decent "loser rifle" out of a BBB. I read in another post that said to 'try 1 inch 17/32" nested in 8 inches of 9/16"'. But I have a few questions about this.

1) About how long should the barrel be, overall, starting from the end of the gun's "casing" to the end of the barrel?

2) What is the outer diameter of the darts these specs are designed for? The darts I'm currently using have an OD of about 1/3" to 4/10" around the foam bit (wider around the tip, naturally) and are about 3 inches long, I'd give an exact measurement, but I can't for the life of me find a ruler in my house right now. They're the reddish-orange ones with the "whistling" tips. What's the reccommended size dart/arrow/whatnot for a BBB?

3) Would it it be better to create a barrel where the dart went overtop of it or into it?

4) PVC or brass (since those seem to be the two primary barrel mod materials)?

5) What's the best, or at least a good way to seal the gaps between the tubes? I'm thinking the teflon stuff like plumbers use to seal on shower heads, but I don't know if there's something proven to be better?

Also, on a note unrelated to barrel mods, I tried stretching the spring out, but it didn't seem to stay stretched. It would go back to it's original length after a few shots. I'm thinking about getting some more resistant/thicker wire and making a new (and hopefully stronger) spring for it. I've also heard of putting rubber bands on the gun, should I place them externally or internally, and does it matter what I hook them onto, or just as long as they're attached to the two different parts of the gun? I was also thinking about getting some bungie cord and putting a loop of it going through the little hole right above the trigger on the back end and the rear hole between the main body and the sight of the gun.

Yeah... that's about all the questions I had. Also, if anyone could reccomend any other BBB mods that they've tested/they know others have tested with good results, I'd appreciate it.

~ Noah Ahmed
P.S. Wait, one more question... do washers/pennies work okay for tips for Stefan micros? Also, does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to make them? I found one before but I didn't bookmark it, and can't find it anymore.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:09 PM

Those specs were written (probably by me) for 1/2" micro stefans. They won't work at all for nerf Micros. If you want to use nerf Micros in your BBB I'd suggest 1/2" (5/8" ID) PVC because you want to get the entire dart down the barrel. That said, the micro stefans will get you better performance.

There's a thread in the articles section of this site about making 5/8" mega stefans, east coast style. I'm planning to create one from a 1/2" west coast perspective, but that's still in the works. Try searching around here with user name "cxwq" to find some threads where I have briefly described my technique.

A lot of your questions have already been answered in depth in many posts you'll find in the modifications section. Try reading the archives a bit, there's a ton of good info in there. When in doubt, do a search.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:13 PM

http://www.nerfhq.co...iew.php?p=86033

That is the stefan instructions on NHQ. That is basically how I based my stefans off of originally. Those are great instructions for a first time stefan maker, and you'll change your stefans to how you want them to be.
Tyranny Response Team

#4 FearNoMoshpit

FearNoMoshpit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, I forgot to try searching for stefan making instructions before posting... remembered to search for BBB mods, though... I'll try that though. Speaking of which, you mention 1/2" or west coast vs. 5/8" or east coast stefans? I'll probably find something about it while searching, but I can't help but ask what the differences are supposed to be.

...feel free not to answer that unless I post again saying that I didn't come up with an answer whilst searching...

Also, another question I meant to ask in my initial post... has anyone tried "silencing" or at least reducing the noise produced when firing a BBB? Just thought of playing around with that to go with the whole loser rifle theme. I tried putting some foam bits between the hard plastic parts in the firing mechanisms, but the one in the part that made the most noise, while cutting down noise quite a bit, also made it nigh unto impossible to "cock" the gun, making the idea impractical.

~ Some dude <--- still haven't thought of an alias yet

Edited by FearNoMoshpit, 27 August 2004 - 12:40 PM.

#5 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:44 PM

Each group makes stefans differently. The Jersey guys use 5/8" or mega stefans.

The Socal guys use 1/2" stefans or micro stefans.

Many people use varying sizes. The LGLF made an article on how they do their stefans.

I'm on the east coast, and I use micro stefans, so really "East Coast" stefans are the stefans that the Jersey guys make. I wouldn't really worry about the coasts and how their stefans differ. They may differ slightly, but it isn't worth worrying about.

Now, I don't really think that post made much sense.
Tyranny Response Team

#6 FearNoMoshpit

FearNoMoshpit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:34 PM

http://www.nerfhq.co...iew.php?p=86033

That is the stefan instructions on NHQ. That is basically how I based my stefans off of originally. Those are great instructions for a first time stefan maker, and you'll change your stefans to how you want them to be.

Where is one likely to find these "round split shot fishing weights"? I'm assuming a fishing supply store, but I have no idea where any of those are.

~ Bob

#7 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

Where is one likely to find these "round split shot fishing weights"? I'm assuming a fishing supply store, but I have no idea where any of those are.

Just to remind you, you don't have to use fishing weights. To anwser your question, yes they are at fishing stores.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#8 FearNoMoshpit

FearNoMoshpit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:19 PM

Just to remind you, you don't have to use fishing weights. To anwser your question, yes they are at fishing stores.

True... what, approximately, do fishing weights look like, anyway? I'll probably just use the closest thing I can find at the hardware store whenever I go to look for backer rod.

#9 WarGhost

WarGhost

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:20 PM

Could anyone please post pics on the insides of the bbb? im having some big problems with mine, and i really want it to work again. Even if u said a link that had a pic of it, it would really help.

#10 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:53 AM

Warghost, if you'd have actually had read the topic you made about it, you'd have noticed I posted a link with the internal picture.

http://www.tlmhome.web1000.com/bbb.htm
Morons With Guns own you.

#11 FearNoMoshpit

FearNoMoshpit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:25 AM

Warghost, if you'd have actually had read the topic you made about it, you'd have noticed I posted a link with the internal picture.

http://www.tlmhome.web1000.com/bbb.htm

Actually, I find the sights somewhat useful for shots you have time to set up. Even when you don't they can serve as a quick aid. Of course, that's as long as you don't look directly through the scope... I usually look through the front part of the scope system with my eye slightly behind and above the back part (the one with the red "lense" in it. If you align the line going down the middle of the back part with the middle of the front of the scope it's pretty effective, and the point of view adjustment usually compsensates for gravity's effect on the dart in short to mid range shots.

#12 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:37 PM

i began to put internal bands on my bbb, but found out that it was a bad idea, and put it back together, but, the gun doesnt work at all! it just slides in and out. I looked at the internal pic of the bbb, and i could find nothing wrong with mine. Whats wrong!?

--Diego

Edited by Diego, 06 September 2004 - 01:15 PM.

Member of the Chaos Brigade. Home to the Elite Iowa Nerfers.

Known to the clan as Jester.

#13 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:12 PM

Try pushing the rear handle forwards. Hard. The bands make the gun harder to catch.

~ompa

#14 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

I tried it without the bands and it still doesnt work.hmmmm......

Edited by Diego, 06 September 2004 - 01:15 PM.

#15 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:29 PM

When you go to cock it, is there alot of pressure like you can feel the spring stretching but it just doesn't catch? Or does it just slide out? If you can feel the spring stretching but it doesn't catch, then you may have forgotten to put in the orange squares with the little pegs that come out of them. These go on either side of the gun and you can see them sticking out of the side. Or maybe you didn't put the springs in with these. Without those two pieces, the catch mechanism won't work right.

If you can't feel the spring stretching when you cock it, try looking at the inside tip of the gun. Make sure the orange plunger tube is held in place right. Hope one of these solutions helps.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#16 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:43 PM

At first when i opened it up to merely get something out of the barrel , i lost the spring that goes to the pegs, and i put it back together, it shot, but was hard to catch. I opened it up again to band it and put a spring on the peg, but now it doesnt work. the spring i put back on was an old one i found laying around, and doesnt fit very well at all, but i would think it should still work. i tried it without bands and without the spring once again and it doesnt stretch the spring or catch. It just slides. :P

--Diego

#17 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

Well, your problem is definitely with one of those small springs. Make sure they're all there and replace them with the best fit if you have to. Also see if the trigger is all the way foreward when you cock it. If it sticks back after you pull it, try lubricating the orange trigger mechanism with WD40. Thats all I can really think of, hope it helps.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#18 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the help, but when i opened the gun up before i had these problems, and the spring fell out, it still worked ( but was hard to catch ),now it doesnt work at all....

--Diego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users