11 replies to this topic

#1 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Link to Thingiverse

Build.png

This blaster was concieved and designed when I found that, while playing in an infinite-respawn CQB point-based game, players carrying around bulky mag/clip based loadouts were only effective as long as their mag supply held out. Once they ran out (they all did) they were out of the match for several minutes reloading. While observing this, I also found that I could do quite well scoring points and holding territory with just a single-shot pistol (ala a Nightfinder, Firestrike, Hotshock, etc.).

However, I did run into several situations that left me wanting for additional firepower- I couldn't do much against a group of players after firing once. Thus I designed a blaster with quick-change barrels and multi-shot capability, designated an "Assault Pistol" as the player wielding it is intended to be rushing flags, taking points, and helping their team win the round, not necessarily focusing on getting tags except in fulfillment of those goals. Additonal barrel types are in the works and barrel fit is still being adjusted for maximum performance. At the time of posting the blaster is hitting ~90FPS with two of the three barrels plugged in the X3 barrel, and the shortest round in the burst lands as far as the longest from a stock sledgefire.

It's a 3d printable 1" 200 PSI PVC PT springer with a custom catch mech and quick-change coupler barrels:

Internals.png

Assembly is fairly quick and easy. I'll be working on designing more barrels, dialing in printed barrel fit, and adjusting the coupler so it works more reliably as time goes on. Released on thingiverse CC0 because I don't believe licenses have any effect there, but if anyone is interested in producing it commercially they'll get more support and care from me if they ask about licensing the design ;)

Attached File  Mk 18 Publish.zip   3.64MB   888 downloads

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Hotfix: I’ve updated the thingiverse page with details and pictures, but I noticed a little bit of flex in the frame that caused the catch to miss once or twice. I recommend driving a screw through the top piece and into the ring to help with this, as well as ensuring your screws are long enough to grab both the ring and rear frame piece completely (my 1-1/4” drywall screws are not - the tapered point doesn’t catch).

Also reserved for future build guide.

#3 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:20 PM

Will Mk18 Assault Pistol publish a DIY KITS?

I am interested in this.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

Will Mk18 Assault Pistol publish a DIY KITS?

I am interested in this.

Probably. Failing me getting to it soon it uses part of a [k25] (probably could take a [k26] as well), 6" of 1" 200 PSI PVC, a dash 213 oring, some craft foam for making a gasket (until I get the shell prints dialed in or designed around an oring) , a handful of #6 flat-head or bugle-head coarse-thread screws (eg: Regular wood or drywall screws) cut to length (2" long should be sufficient everywhere), 4 pan-head coarse-thread screws cut to length (1/2" should be sufficient), and mcmaster part 9657K266.

If you've got the OD/ID of your 1" PVC pipe I can see if I can adjust the design for that (Having a hard time acquiring specs for the CNS pipe).

My big experiments here were printing nearly all of the components, printed barrels, and the quick-connect shells.

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Looks like a good trigger design, with the catch face down all the way into the trigger mechanism.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 20 November 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

Looks like a good trigger design, with the catch face down all the way into the trigger mechanism.

The catch hasnt failed me yet, but I did just have one of the printed pins holding the trigger shear off. So Ive uploaded the part with a hole for a screw to prevent that happening.

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

I wonder if you could simplify this with a slider trigger that stuck into the catch plate with an angled wedge, kind of like how a lock and load works.

#8 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:30 PM

I wonder if you could simplify this with a slider trigger that stuck into the catch plate with an angled wedge, kind of like how a lock and load works.

Interesting thought. The slide would mean fewer parts and less hardware needed, and would also make stopping the trigger easier, but it might take away the really clean pull it has now. I can try it and see.

Also, for those not following on reddit or NMW, I pulled a high of 179 FPS off of it with an 8" 17/32" barrel today. Average was +/-160 FPS.

Edited by Meaker VI, 22 November 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

but it might take away the really clean pull it has now.

Yeah, it would be bad to sacrifice crisp feedback. There might be a way to do it using some roller bearing, but that's probably getting away from where you want to be.

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, it would be bad to sacrifice crisp feedback. There might be a way to do it using some roller bearing, but that's probably getting away from where you want to be.

If you're interested in experimenting, I've drawn up a slide catch. The current catch release is great - so great I basically don't even feel it. The downside is that the catch is unrestrained so the trigger is free to move away from the release. A slide catch might or might not release as cleanly, but it's got restraint built-in.

#11 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:35 AM

I overlooked this at first, because pistols are dumb, but the catch here is something special.  It basically achieves the objective of the purple catch / integrated catch handle, but using pivoting parts instead of sliding parts, which is much better for smooth operation.  Also, I need to learn the art of plunger tubes that aren't 1.25" PVC, because hoppers are dead, so I'll be looking at your system for that as well.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#12 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:24 AM

Recommend checking into the mkesper, which is the same setup but with a esper rear half. It's stronger and more reliable, but maybe not as powerful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Printed, springer, pistol, mk18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users