Elastic Spring Plunger

9 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

I have been working on this quietly for a few weeks now. I wanted to wait until it had some tangible results. This is largely and experiment in reduced build cost, and this is looking to be the lowest material cost blaster I have ever made. Even cheaper than DCHAP or any SNAPs I've ever built.

STL Files: https://www.thingive...m/thing:3223214

esper_00.jpg

esper_01.jpg

esper_02.jpg

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 November 2018 - 09:48 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

So.... FPS? Files? Are your only purchased parts the barreling, PT, seals, screws, and elastic bands? Could it hold/use a K## spring instead of the banding?

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

17 inches overall length (1.1 stryfes)
10kg max load (3 bands)
Top-slide prime (of the plunger and ramrod assembly)
Hardware Kit Price: $30
Assembled Price: $70

Planned File Release Date: November 25th
Current fps avg: 122 (with an unsealed breech)

Hardware kit will be: Barrel, Ramrod Core, Plunger Tube, 123 o-rings, 012 o-rings, elastic cord (1 or 2 sizes), two 13-1/4" length of 10-32 threaded rod, 4-40 screws, 10-32 screws, hex nuts.

The plunger catch surface is way at the back end of it so it won't be compatible with typical compression springs. At a later date I will look at what possible small OD springs could be used that would fit inside of the catch surface portion of the plunger, but that would be an aside.

The elastic cords are really really cheap compared to steel springs and changing the spring load on this thing is as easy as opening the fore-end and taking off or adding another band. And there are alternative options for band types and materials to toy with as well.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yeah these dont *look* like the typical Theraband/slingshot/surgical tubing bands Ive seen/used before.

Does this mean any further work on the rebuild of Boltsnipers NTS Ive been chipping at would be fruitless?

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

It's nylon-covered elastic cord, typically used for bungees. 3/16" is the specific size I designed around, but I'm using 1/8" for the accessories. For further novelty it is offered in a variety of colors.

#6 jaxmeh

jaxmeh

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

What blaster would you compare this to in size? It looks neat, but I'm wondering how usable this would be as a sidearm.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:44 PM

What blaster would you compare this to in size? It looks neat, but I'm wondering how usable this would be as a sidearm.

17 inches overall length (1.1 stryfes)
10kg max load (3 bands)
Top-slide prime (of the plunger and ramrod assembly)
Hardware Kit Price: $30
Assembled Price: $70
Planned Release Date: November 25th
Current fps avg: 122 (with an unsealed breech)

My WIP-MK18 is ~15" when primed and I could see it hitting 17"+ with a different barrel. It's definitely sidearm size, though it is longer than eg. a firestrike, TTG, hotshock, or nightfinder.

Edited by Meaker VI, 13 November 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

IMG_20181112_231420.jpg

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

STL Files are now public: https://www.thingive...m/thing:3223214

Hardware list: 

ehk1.gif

First "production" unit has shipped

esper_04.jpgesper_05.jpg

And I have my first set of chronograph data.

esper_data.png

#10 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:30 PM

This styling is quite sci-fi! the size is also ideal,very neat!

But I have used some rubber quilts before,
it will turn into powder.I don't know how long it can last,don't know how long it can last?

I am also currently using large rubber bands as some of the components.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elastic, Spring, Plunger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users