Caliburn or Chimera?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Goldenrod68

Goldenrod68

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

I hate to divide the community like this, but Ive been in a conundrum, and I cant decide which to get. I really like both. Ive watched reviews of both, but to my knowledge, there isnt a direct comparison video of the two. Could someone help me out? Pros? Cons? Perhaps a video comparison that I just dont know exists? Thanks.

"Aren't you a little too young to be here?" -Van James 2017

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,105 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Chimera OOTB is more powerful, but being based on a Caliburn is just tuned differently and AFAIK the Caliburn has hit higher records when tuned for higher numbers.

The Caliburn's supply chain is better established by a hard-working member of this community, the Chimera is designed by a member of this community but he hasn't previously shown the manufacturing prowess (Both are NH guys - StruckbyStefan and Slug IIRC, though Struck may have changed his name and certainly has on other sites). You can buy a Caliburn hardware kit and print the rest of the parts yourself, I'm not sure the Chimera is shipping hardware kits yet.

So in my view, it boils down to what cost are you willing to pay, how much work do you want to do, what numbers do you want to hit, and what ergonomics do you prefer? If you like bullpup better enough to pay the premium or want the better numbers without as much work on your end, the Chimera will fit your needs better. If you want to spend less for a versatile blaster you don't mind fiddling with to get your preferred numbers out of, or you prefer the standard rifle layout, the Caliburn is better.

Personally, I continue to recommend the Caliburn because it's cheaper, and can be substantially cheaper when you DIY it. The numbers you're missing aren't something you can't get with the right mods, and 200 FPS is plenty for most users in most battles. Frankly, I've been unable to use my Caliburn because 200 FPS is too much for the indoor wars I play in; and in a case like mine you'll spend less for similar performance with some DIY mods on a retaliator.

Edited by Meaker VI, 27 September 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#3 Goldenrod68

Goldenrod68

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

Thanks... Ive had my eye on the caliburn for a while now, and I think Ill stick with my gut and get it

"Aren't you a little too young to be here?" -Van James 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users