c7da2202001ef3739c67954b4c9dbb31_preview_featured.jpg

Thingiverse Link

V1

cad wheel.png       real wheel.jpg

Exhaustive write-up and documentation:

Attached File  OpenWheel.pdf   1.44MB   1123 downloads

Thingiverse Link

Copy and pasted from the introduction of above document:

Here I present OpenWheel – my efforts at lowering barriers of entry into the world of high performance flywheels on standard (non-Eclipse) OFP cages. That means working with DC brushed motors, and a 2mm shaft. This project was originally motivated by cost, but through my experimentation I quickly found that I could also get superior performance to commercially available machined wheels.

The results, for those who are as impatient as me: 150 fps through a Morpheus guide on OG Fangs.

Everything is in the document. I can't stand the formatting in forums and uploading each figure individually, otherwise it would be here as well.

Edited by TantumBull, 24 August 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#2 jaxmeh

jaxmeh

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

I wonder if machined aluminium cages might help on the vibration front. I'd be curious to see if a Worker or Artifact cage would fit these wheels.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

I wonder if machined aluminium cages might help on the vibration front. I'd be curious to see if a Worker or Artifact cage would fit these wheels.

That's certainly possible. Might have different constrains on the minimum inner rim diameter but I'm sure that could be worked around.

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

This is awesome.  I'll totally be trying these out.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 Jyang

Jyang

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Documentation is really thorough, which I always appreciate very much in this hobby.

The idea of having a tool for centering is really clever, I definitely struggled with that the last time I attempted to print flywheels (ultimately a failure on my part).

Want to ask, though, have you considered using the following geometry (left being current openwheel, right being the alternative) to improve the top surface finish? I would've considered tested it out on my own, but I figured it'd likely be something you've already considered.

https://imgur.com/a/73CpTQK

I've brought up the topic with you previously, but with the noise that they're currently producing, would you be happy with running the wheels as they are on a long-term basis, or is it still too loud?

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

Want to ask, though, have you considered using the following geometry (left being current openwheel, right being the alternative) to improve the top surface finish? I would've considered tested it out on my own, but I figured it'd likely be something you've already considered.

https://imgur.com/a/73CpTQK

I've brought up the topic with you previously, but with the noise that they're currently producing, would you be happy with running the wheels as they are on a long-term basis, or is it still too loud?

I'd brought it up with him a few times in messages. I don't think it was ever tested though because he'd gotten these working.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

V2 is now live on Thingiverse. First post updated. Incorporates some suggestions from others as well as some of my own ideas. Ask questions, I didn't really do much documentation this time around. My nerf time got severely limited a couple months back and I'd rather push content than write exhaustive guides. But I'm here to help you get things up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users