Photo

Canted OFC cage??

9 replies to this topic

#1 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:15 AM

Has anyone ever thought about printing a canted OFC cage?? The DRS cage is still champ on accuracy but costs $70. If someone printed one then it could be a contender on accuracy at a third of the cost!!!

#2 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

OFP/NerfGeek has been experimenting with canted cages (as of our personal correspondence). I don't think that results are conclusive and the cages are meant to be used near-exclusively with his "Morpheus" barrel guide. 

Files avaliable here, with varying levels of crush: https://drive.google...zGD6FvLcVoKumwr

Morpheus is avaliable through several resellers: Out Of Darts, LibertyFoam/FoamFreaks, and Jb3dIndustries all come to mind. All of those sellers should be able to print those files for a custom order as well. 

From my limited knowledge within the flywheel sphere, there A.) isn't enough data to show that canting affects accuracy and B.) there aren't enough high-quality cages avaliable to test on. IMO requiring Morpheus is a tad annoying (additional cost), but the barrel is really nice and prevents fishtailing. 

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

Has anyone ever thought about printing a canted OFC cage?? The DRS cage is still champ on accuracy but costs $70. If someone printed one then it could be a contender on accuracy at a third of the cost!!!

Toruk would probably disagree that the DRS cage is the premier accuracy cage. DRS changes too many variables to give any idea as to what matters and what doesn't in a cage, but general theory is that cant isn't beneficial and DRS gets good results with the other variables involved. Other things DRS cages have that are believed to improve accuracy are a tightbore dart feed guide, concave wheels with good balance and tolerance to the cage, a stiff cage, and general precision all around.

#4 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:24 AM

OFP/NerfGeek has been experimenting with canted cages (as of our personal correspondence). I don't think that results are conclusive and the cages are meant to be used near-exclusively with his "Morpheus" barrel guide. 
Files avaliable here, with varying levels of crush: https://drive.google...zGD6FvLcVoKumwr

Morpheus is avaliable through several resellers: Out Of Darts, LibertyFoam/FoamFreaks, and Jb3dIndustries all come to mind. All of those sellers should be able to print those files for a custom order as well. 

From my limited knowledge within the flywheel sphere, there A.) isn't enough data to show that canting affects accuracy and B.) there aren't enough high-quality cages avaliable to test on. IMO requiring Morpheus is a tad annoying (additional cost), but the barrel is really nice and prevents fishtailing.

Im actually running a morpheus cage with the guide. I wasn't able to open the files all the way but its good to know that someone's working on it.

#5 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

Toruk would probably disagree that the DRS cage is the premier accuracy cage. DRS changes too many variables to give any idea as to what matters and what doesn't in a cage, but general theory is that cant isn't beneficial and DRS gets good results with the other variables involved. Other things DRS cages have that are believed to improve accuracy are a tightbore dart feed guide, concave wheels with good balance and tolerance to the cage, a stiff cage, and general precision all around.

Toruk is also probably a tad miffed that you're using his name/data on this website, lmao.

Foamblast's testing with the Heston Cage seems to suggest that with near-identical dimensions and characteristics (tightbore barrel, concave & balanced wheels, acceptable tolerances) in a non-canted setup, accuracy is indeed compromised. It wasn't super scientific, but a lot of my contemporaries swear by the DRS cages and their canting. The advantages still are not enough to justify the obscene price tag, for me at least.

Im actually running a morpheus cage with the guide. I wasn't able to open the files all the way but its good to know that someone's working on it.

You should be able to download them as .STLs and print them that way. Alternatively, ask any of the OFP sellers to print for you.

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#6 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:40 AM

Just to give an update, I got a OFP canted cage printed at a 41.5 mm gap with the guide. I'm running white worker wheels with Fang Revamped motors. Initial testing shows that it's more accurate than the Morpheus cage with the guide. If anyone is interested in further info, just reply here.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Do you have an identical non-canted setup to back that up with?

#8 Jyang

Jyang

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

Just to give an update, I got a OFP canted cage printed at a 41.5 mm gap with the guide. I'm running white worker wheels with Fang Revamped motors. Initial testing shows that it's more accurate than the Morpheus cage with the guide. If anyone is interested in further info, just reply here.

Video evidence/data is always welcome. I'm interested in test results, and your setups look reasonably controlled. I assume that both the canted and noncanted have identical crush, wheels and motors? 

#9 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

POPULAR

The only difference is that the regular morpheus cage is 42.5mm compared to the canted cage at 41.5mm.
Motors, flywheels, aluminum guide, battery and gun are all the same. I made a vid but I'd have to make a better one for you guys to see.

#10 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:14 AM

Video evidence/data is always welcome. I'm interested in test results, and your setups look reasonably controlled. I assume that both the canted and noncanted have identical crush, wheels and motors?

I've been working on this and have collected all sorts of data. Now I have to learn how to make decent videos. My plans are to make a separate thread covering my build and all my findings. Should be interesting to say the least!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users