Photo

Nerf "High-powered" Blasters

11 replies to this topic

#1 dvdmelancon25

dvdmelancon25

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

I successfully completed a Longstrike with a BuzzBee Berserker air tank (credit to Nerfomania) and PVC breech that breaks at the barrel attachment point. Me and a friend of mine have been doing 1v1s with this and my Caliburn and right now I'm working on a Longshot with a titan tank and PVC breech to make the reload time and velocity a little more even.

Now I am aware that these blasters can be dangerous and should never be used without eye protection. If I had to guess my Longstrike shoots upwards of 250 fps (I don't have a chrony). He and I have a lot of fun with these "high-powered" blasters because the engagement distances can be much further than with other modded blasters. 

How does the community feel about this kind of thing on a larger scale? Are there wars set up specifically for this kind of high powered stuff? 

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Australia has wars that are 250+ FPS, it appears that they are replacing Paintball with nerf and the players wear full face/body protection. Classic NIC/ high velocity wars are in that range, but usually due to lower ROF (and possibly player count or field setup) Ive never seen anyone in full body gear.

Otherwise, based off some numbers I found on Dooms website, it sounds like +/-200 FPS should get you pretty much maximum reasonable range with limited damage potential. The stuff I read indicated that, with eyes protected, there was only a 10% chance of a dart causing bruising at that velocity. Id imagine a long sleeve and face mask would basically eliminate the possibility altogether.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Up until the past several years, velocities in the 250 fps range were the norm. I stopped nerf in 2011 and just started up again a few months ago. When I stopped everything was high velocity. Now I see this 200 fps cap all over the place.

A lot of people will tell you that it doesn't help your ranges to go over 200 fps. This is basically true. However, it absolutely helps your accuracy. Time to target can be noticeably reduced for closer range encounters, so you don't have to lead as much.

It all comes down to inclusivity. If you want more people at a war, you set strict fps limits. The games I host run a 300 fps cap, and I get notably less attendance than the other wars in my area. I'm fine with that, I'm a classic NIC dude and it's how I like to play. I can have plenty of fun with 10 people at a war.

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

A lot of people will tell you that it doesn't help your ranges to go over 200 fps. This is basically true. However, it absolutely helps your accuracy. Time to target can be noticeably reduced for closer range encounters, so you don't have to lead as much.

Yep. Raw power is an advantage at all ranges, and regardless of ammo type. Lightweight ammo only helps curb some of the egregious differences in maximum range.

It all comes down to inclusivity. If you want more people at a war, you set strict fps limits.

I mainly shy away from FPS limits at wars I host because most people don't have a chronograph at home, and so can't get a reasonable sense of how powerful their blasters are.

But FPS caps have their merits, and there's a reason that they're the standard way of leveling the playing field in paintball (along with rate of fire caps). I think a 200fps limit is good maximum for outdoor nerf. It eliminates silly airguns that punch holes in people, and reins in a lot of high-powered springers. Blasters that shoot lasers are not particularly interesting to play with or against. The paradox of shooting games is that maximizing equipment performance is often at odds with fun game play.

#5 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

I agree with beaver. Even though I have two high FPS blasters (bbumb longstike and a sealed breach longshot), it’s only really fun to use them if I’m playing with people who are also armed similarly. With more weapon diversity, I have way more fun running around with a shield and a hammer shot or my nerf rapier, Rather than using my 200+ laser shooting single-shot airgun.

If you like going at it with your friend at 250+ FPS, go for it. No one here is going to judge you unless you start using shotgun primer to fire nerf darts.
Can I get a large FUCK YOU with a side of nerf please.

#6 dvdmelancon25

dvdmelancon25

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

No one here is going to judge you unless you start using shotgun primer to fire nerf darts.

Don't worry; air, spring and flywheel are more than good enough for me 

#7 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I also have a chrono and a seriously modded blaster using a singled berserker tank and can confirm if you're using the right darts for your barrel you're probably hitting around 250. I was able to tune mine down to 180-200.

I am comfortable playing higher fps caps but a hard cap of 200 lets people compete more casually and draws bigger crowds, as mentioned. If it's just you and your friend, go nuts (but I recommend full face masks because split lips suck). You might also want cups.

#8 dvdmelancon25

dvdmelancon25

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

I also have a chrono and a seriously modded blaster using a singled berserker tank and can confirm if you're using the right darts for your barrel you're probably hitting around 250. I was able to tune mine down to 180-200.

I am comfortable playing higher fps caps but a hard cap of 200 lets people compete more casually and draws bigger crowds, as mentioned. If it's just you and your friend, go nuts (but I recommend full face masks because split lips suck). You might also want cups.

How were you able to dial it down? Just fewer pumps or what?

#9 meow121325

meow121325

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

i am having a war in April that you can go to it is from 12:00pm cst to 2:00pm cst eye protection i required and make sure you read the posts by meow121325 here is the link http://nerfhaven.com...00-pm-to-200pm/ you can come if you don't mind travel

Edited by meow121325, 26 March 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#10 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

How were you able to dial it down? Just fewer pumps or what?

Changing barrels and darts. I have a brass overpressure valve installed so that each shot is at a consistent pressure. I switched it to accufake darts using a 19/32 barrel sliding over a 9/16 breech. The barrel is also not a full length of brass, which decreased the fps a little more. I can switch it to a 17/32 barrel of full length brass that slides inside the breech and acts as a ramrod on worker gen one darts, which gets me the higher FPS. All I have to do to switch is pull the 19/32 barrel completely off and slide the 17/32 on, takes 30 seconds.

#11 dvdmelancon25

dvdmelancon25

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

i am having a war in April that you can go to it is from 12:00pm cst to 2:00pm cst eye protection i required and make sure you read the posts by meow121325 here is the link http://nerfhaven.com...00-pm-to-200pm/ you can come if you don't mind travel

I would, but I'm saving up fro Endwar. You think there's any chance we could set up something around that weekend? Like Saturday evening or something, idk what the schedule looks like. 

#12 meow121325

meow121325

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I would, but I'm saving up fro Endwar. You think there's any chance we could set up something around that weekend? Like Saturday evening or something, idk what the schedule looks like. 

i will have other wars latter in the year so I can set one up for you to come but see you at endwar  :)

Edited by meow121325, 27 March 2018 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users