Photo

how profitable would selling modified blasters on Ebay be?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jettdestin

Jettdestin

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

So I've been looking around on Ebay and I've noticed a lot of listings that say something like "modified nerf blaster" or "custom painted nerf gun" and so on. They also tend to be low-tier blasters too, like retaliators/recons and nitefinders/firestrikes, so i assume these listings are marketed towards cos-players or non nerfers. They tend to be much more costly than their stock counterparts, obviously. Anyone on NH have any experience selling blasters like this? I assume the best way to go about this would be to focus solely on cosmetics, like doing little or no modding to the blaster other than painting it, and using a cheap blaster to maximize profit.

could selling a few purpose-built blasters like this be worthwhile or a waste of time?

#2 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

It depends entirely on how good you are at cosmetic mods. If you have a background in painting tabletop minis you can probably do pretty well, if you haven't ever painted anything before you'll have to learn. If you can do simple mods like spring upgrades and lock removal that will let you advertise the blasters as improved performance, which would help.

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

To me, it seems like a wholly junk market. I've seen listings for blasters that looked like they were just painted with no work going for crazy high prices, I've seen carefully modded, integrated, painted blasters going for much less. It seems all brand/name based, if you're known in a community with $$ to spend, you'll make money. If not, you won't.

Generally, our community either doesn't have a lot of money to spend, or can do all the work themselves for less than you'll charge, so in-hobby commissions are rare and require you to be a really respected modder (eg.: Slug level respected).

#4 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

And don't forget, eBay is VERY buyer friendly. You sell something the buyer isn't happy with, be prepared to pay for them to return the item (on your dime) and for you to refund the money.

Then there's the 10% (or so) cut eBay gets on your sale. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users