Photo

New Fang Revamped Motors

19 replies to this topic

#1 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

I was going to get the Neo Rhino motors until the Fang Revamped motors came out. Since I've spent $200 modding my stryfe, I really don't want to buy a lipo & charger when I have IMR's already. My question is, can I run the Fang Revamped motors on 3 IMR's & a dummy?? 4 IMR's?? I know it's not recommended but I don't plan on entering any games soon. Maybe 1 day I will go with my son. Also, what's the pros & cons of 3 or 4 IMR's vs the 2s lipo?

Thanks!

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

This is a question you should ask the seller of said motor.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Bert81

Bert81

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

The issue with most IMR's is that they only supply around 5-10 amps per battery. They really shouldn't be used with any aftermarket motors. The revamps are 28 amps at stall per motor (so 56 amps per set). Three IMR's will not gives it enough amps in a stall situation. This will cause your batteries to be at greater risk of fire or frying your switch. IMR's are usually poorly manufactured and aren't really made for this application. If you are stuck with a 14500 form factor look at LIFE4POS batteries. They are much safer chemistry but still aren't optimal for your setup. $200 for a stryfe is pretty crazy. I usually build mine for around $60-$70. Also the revamps would spin at around 55,000 rpms on three IMR's which is why too fast for every brushed motor cage except the eclipse (Skip the eclipse until the 2nd gen wheels come out)

TLDR: Skip IMR's due to fire risk and go to LIFE4POS if stuck on 14500 size. They are safer chemistry. Use 7.4 volts. 

#4 Rapidstrike Gunner

Rapidstrike Gunner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

POPULAR

How did you spend $200 on a Stryfe and NOT have any LiPo gear?

You might be able to get away with a NIMH or NICD pack, but NOT IMR's. Bert81 gave a very generous discharge estimation. You should probably assume that IMR's discharge 3-6 amps.

Also, using 3 IMR's would be overvolting the motors, which would cause them to run at 50K RPM, which unless you have a high crush cage, isn't optimal for performance.

If the entry cost of LiPo tech is discouraging you, the Turnigy E3 costs around $10 and can balance charge 2s and 3s batteries.

My Arsenal: N-Strike Nite-finder EX-3 >> N-Strike Elite Strongarm >> N-Strike Elite Retaliator XD

All unmodded weapons.

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

If the entry cost of LiPo tech is discouraging you, the Turnigy E3 costs around $10 and can balance charge 2s and 3s batteries.

Really, any battery setup will cost around the same as a correct setup. Getting the cells that won't work in NERF and their charger should cost about the same as a lipo (or other pack) and a charger. The cells just aren't ideal for the application. If OP is avoiding Lipo because of cost, they're functionally admitting they're avoiding any battery setup because they'll all cost $30-60 to set up.

I didn't want a charger and pack to monitor just for Nerf, so I went with another pack I had and used already for something else: My power tool packs. If OP does do something else that uses worthwhile batteries (droning, RC, airsoft, handiwork), overlapping the battery use brings the cost down for both uses.

#6 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

What I was really trying to say was that I'm not using this thing for anything but shooting my son & family members & that I already spent $40 bucks on a battery setup. I already over spent on it with a full worker kit, all the little mods, mags & hundreds of darts, & now I'm doing the internals. I guess you could call me a hobbyist but I refer to myself as someone who can't stand stock stuff! My jeep build has $12k in parts alone turning it into a rock crawler. I used to do rc stuff & built my own instead of off the shelf. Even my real firearms have all the bells & whistles.

Basically I just wanted to know if I can run it like that for a little while until I decide to buy another battery set up.

P.S. I think I just realized that the setup I want wont work unless I do run a lipo. If I can't get the torque needed for a high crush setup then it won't work period. Thanx for all the advice!!

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

P.S. I think I just realized that the setup I want wont work unless I do run a lipo. If I can't get the torque needed for a high crush setup then it won't work period. Thanx for all the advice!!

You can use many types of hobby or tool pack, but yeah; individual cells can't power a high crush setup.

#8 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

I am the maker of the motors.  Please do not use any 14500 batteries with aftermarket motors.  It is dangerous even with "safe" chemistries as the cell can vent hot gasses when you overload the battery.  This will melt a big ole hole in your fancy new blaster and possibly your hand.  I have heard of 2 instances of IMR cells venting in our hobby and melting a hole in the blaster. 

#9 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

Can someone please chime in and tell me the differences between the Fang Revamped motors and the Neo Rhinos??
Please & thank you!

#10 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Can someone please chime in and tell me the differences between the Fang Revamped motors and the Neo Rhinos??

Neo Rhinos have more torque due to running on 3s voltage instead of 2s.  All this really means is they rev .16 seconds faster than the fang revamps with Cyclone wheels (on the heavy side, lighter wheels will have less of a difference).

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:59 AM

Really, any battery setup will cost around the same as a correct setup. 

Oh man, I can show you some things.  They will make you sad.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

[quote name="meishel" post="362677" timestamp="1520541630"]

Neo Rhinos have more torque due to running on 3s voltage instead of 2s.  All this really means is they rev .16 seconds faster than the fang revamps with Cyclone wheels (on the heavy side, lighter wheels will have less of a difference

So if you ran Rhinos on a 2s, then ran Fang Revamped motors on a 2s, who would win?

#13 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Fang motors, because they are balanced for a 2s setup, also, running a 3s setup requires you to get an expanded battery tray
Can I get a large FUCK YOU with a side of nerf please.

#14 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

Oh man, I can show you some things.  They will make you sad.

Im sure there are some setups that are *way way more*, but using IMRs+ Charger appears to cost about what a Lipo/other pack + *basic* charger would.

My 20v Lion setup would have cost ~$50 if I bought it by itself, which is probably more than IMRs. But I instead paid ~$80 and got a drill AND the battery, charger, and sacrificial adapter.

#15 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Neo Rhinos have more torque due to running on 3s voltage instead of 2s.  All this really means is they rev .16 seconds faster than the fang revamps with Cyclone wheels (on the heavy side, lighter wheels will have less of a difference).

So my question to that is then what happens if you run the Fang Rev on a 3s? I know it's a 2s motor but they do say you can run it on a 3s. (& yes i know that voids the warrantee).

#16 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Im sure there are some setups that are *way way more*, but using IMRs+ Charger appears to cost about what a Lipo/other pack + *basic* charger would.

My 20v Lion setup would have cost ~$50 if I bought it by itself, which is probably more than IMRs. But I instead paid ~$80 and got a drill AND the battery, charger, and sacrificial adapter.

I was going the other direction.  I power and charge a 2S Demo with stuff I've salvaged for about $5.03, which includes the three copper pennies I'm using for contacts.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#17 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

I was going the other direction.  I power and charge a 2S Demo with stuff I've salvaged for about $5.03, which includes the three copper pennies I'm using for contacts.

Oh buddy.... Well, at least I know that youre an adult, so it is your prerogative if you want to burn something down :P

#18 SeniorXJ

SeniorXJ

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:55 AM

Just an fyi, i went with a 42.5mm Morpheus cage w/guide, Revamped motors, worker wheels, 21a microswitch, & a 2s lipo.

I'm replacing the worker wheels with smooth wheels from out of darts insutanto wheels cause I felt that the groves on them were ripping dart heads off. I think a smooth wheel won't rip heads off cause there's no groves to pull the heads off.

#19 DeathVirus

DeathVirus

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:35 AM

[quote name="SeniorXJ" post="362679" timestamp="1520594908"]

[quote name="meishel" post="362677" timestamp="1520541630"]

Neo Rhinos have more torque due to running on 3s voltage instead of 2s.  All this really means is they rev .16 seconds faster than the fang revamps with Cyclone wheels (on the heavy side, lighter wheels will have less of a difference

So if you ran Rhinos on a 2s, then ran Fang Revamped motors on a 2s, who would win?[/quote]

You stated earlier that you were in the RC hobby. How do you not have a charger atleast? Lipos for Nerf are MUCH cheaper. Not $100 for a Dynamite lipo but like $13 for a graphene battery.

And of course the Fang ReVamped would win if comparing it on 2s with the Rhinos which were made to run on 3s. A lot of things carry over from the RC hobby. I do both RC and Nerf with my kids. The few RCs we have between us cost over $5k not including the drones. I just bought a beast of a homemade nerf gun for $400. Our few Nerf guns alone cost over $2k and none of it is cosmetics. Thats not including the ones my kids got for Christmas (which are all stock)

Youve listed your hobbies and you already know how much hobbies can cost. The important stuff is performance first and cosmetics second

#20 Shyhead

Shyhead

• FNG2
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:19 AM

fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users