6 replies to this topic

#1 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

I was on Youtube earlier today, and I stumbled across this video: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=qCxco6227xo

Being a super old school guy, I'd never seen this blaster. But the design it uses is super cool. There's basically a "Cascading" path of compressed air, allowing multiple barrel to be used as a repeating setup, with the order of darts not mattering. 

I'd be interested to see if anyone's tried to implement this technology on a bigger, much more powerful scale. I would be a very interesting project to try to undertake, with perhaps a three barrel modular setup that could be attached to any blaster with a 1/2" PVC coupler. 

I suspect getting this to actually work with high power blasters would be a huge headache, with the mechanism relying heavily on dart fit and the specific blaster's air output. But still, would be really cool to see it done.

Or maybe it has been done? 

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Running more power through a stock smart AR frequently blows through all the barrels at once. There are many modern blasters that use the mechanisim.

#3 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

Running more power through a stock smart AR frequently blows through all the barrels at once. There are many modern blasters that use the mechanisim.

My idea is to develop a homemade version of this system that is designed to operate under higher power.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

#4 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

The only thing I've ever done conceptualizing of, but never developed that is close to this, was having two hopper tubes that had a two way valve that could be alternated between the two tube magazines. Maybe there's a way of applying this electronically and having a motor switch over a panel that exposes the two tubes individually?

industrial designer

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

If you increase the throw on the barrel valves and select the right springs I don't see why this wouldn't work on higher powered blasters.

That said, besides being a fun design project, what's the point? A breach and magazine or hopper are much more effective means of achieving the same end.

#6 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

If you increase the throw on the barrel valves and select the right springs I don't see why this wouldn't work on higher powered blasters.

That said, besides being a fun design project, what's the point? A breach and magazine or hopper are much more effective means of achieving the same end.

In theory, if you could make the mechanism 100% efficient, it would offer the same power as a single barrel without the slight reduction in power you get from a hopper. It would also be much simpler mechanically than a clip system.

All that being said hoppers and clips are of course much better options, but I'm still going to try to develop one of these system just as an engineering exercise since it's never been done.

#7 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

The only thing I've ever done conceptualizing of, but never developed that is close to this, was having two hopper tubes that had a two way valve that could be alternated between the two tube magazines. Maybe there's a way of applying this electronically and having a motor switch over a panel that exposes the two tubes individually?

Mechanically, it sounds very much like the internals of a Razor Fin (derpy max force pistol, 2 barrels, over sized jolt firing mech, spines pop up when shot). It has a wheel  with holes in it plumbed between the plunger tube and barrels. The wheel increments with each trigger pull so air is alternated between right and left barrels. It's not as intelligent as a smart AR system. It doesn't care if theirs a dart loaded in the barrel receiving air, but it's also not AR dependent so it could work with longer barrels and more power behind it.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hopper, Clip, Semi Auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users