Photo

Weirdest mechanical failures you've ever had?

15 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Modders tend to have some weird reliability issues with their projects since we're taking the blasters we're modding and turning them up to 11. However, what is the absolute weirdest mechanical problem you've ever experienced?

In my case, I just had my Rapidpistol fail when the pusher bumped the lip of a magazine. I cracked the epoxy on the ass end and looked at the problem. Apparently the section of the pusher mechanism that holds the 130 motor broke, so now, when the pusher gets too much force against it, the motor flies in the opposite direction of the gears that move the pusher and send it slamming out of alignment with the shell, making the pusher stop working.

Moar dakka iz best dakka ya gitz.

#2 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'll have to give this some thought. Most of my mechanical failures are super boring things like "I put way too many springs in this" or "I got mad and threw it at the ground".

#3 meow121325

meow121325

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

my weirdest was with a dart tag sharp shot now this one was my neighbors and had been outside for who knows how many years and the inside was filthy so i cleaned it and removed the AR and everything was fine for 20 minutes because then i went to prime it and when i pulled the trigger it didn't fire so i took it apart and found out the trigger broke ;( R.I.P. sharp shot

#4 Jettdestin

Jettdestin

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

I like picking up Vulcans whenever I can find them from my local Goodwill. One day I bought a really rough looking one, it had obviously been outside for a long time. It didn't want to cycle through using full auto, and the bolt wouldn't go forward all the way when primed manually. I opened it up, and found a huge spiders nest, eggs everywhere. That big white plastic assembly was covered in this stuff. Whenever you pushed the bolt forward you would mush part of the nest. to this day, my arachnophobic girlfriend will not go near that thing.

#5 Ryderbike1

Ryderbike1

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:41 AM

I conected a near stock rapidstrike (the mechanical and electrical locks were removed) to a 4s lipo for no good reason other than I was bored. I had somehow conected it up without opening the shell and to my surprise it ran fine. I didn't have it running long because I didn't want to break it. When I put the stock battery back in it was completely frozen, nothing worked. A few days later I finally got around to cracking it open and suddenly everything worked again. And to this day it still works fine. I have no idea what caused it to only work again after It was opened up but apparently that did it.

#6 SatyrWolf

SatyrWolf

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

Catch plate failure in a modded Longshot. Ended up shooting myself in the leg point blank and left a welt the size of a quarter.

#7 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

I put a hard-range kit in an EAT and decided to leave the air restrictor in because that was the advice going around. For reasons I have never quite pinned down, when I went outside and tested (I actually have video of this) it blew part of its own A/R out and permanently closed it. I had to dremel it to even make it work again. Still baffles me, though -- hard range is tough but it's no [[k26]] or anything. Never heard of someone blowing their A/R out the barrel of the blaster.

Edited by RStarr, 31 January 2018 - 06:33 PM.

#8 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

In my noobier days I loaned an ar and locks removed raider to an even noobier nerfer. Naturally they double primed and stuffed a down the back of the barrel and into the PT. Instead of flagging me for help the kept trying to run it and eventually realized that if they push really, really hard they could get it to catch. When it got back to me and I noticed the difficulty, i took it apart. That was the flattest dart i've ever seen.

I've also had a dart fold in half inside of a cpvc barrel. Still not sure how that was physically possible.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#9 Astech

Astech

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

I dressed up as a stormtrooper for a 10 year old's birthday party. Naturally I brought my (black + white, ARs totally removed) longshot as a prop, with a 12-dart magazine. When I put it down, a 7 year old apparently thought they knew how clip system blasters worked, so he kept racking the prime back and forth, wondering why it didn't shoot. I finally got a hold of it at pulled out the magazine, only to realise that 6 darts had somehow been fed into the breech. The gun was kinda incapable of movement at that point, but I happened to pull the trigger, and out popped a dart. I primaed and fired again, and out popped another dart, and another. And another.

I've always wanted to be a pilot. Then I'll have an excuse to keep my head in the clouds.

#10 meow121325

meow121325

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

I dressed up as a stormtrooper for a 10 year old's birthday party. Naturally I brought my (black + white, ARs totally removed) longshot as a prop, with a 12-dart magazine. When I put it down, a 7 year old apparently thought they knew how clip system blasters worked, so he kept racking the prime back and forth, wondering why it didn't shoot. I finally got a hold of it at pulled out the magazine, only to realise that 6 darts had somehow been fed into the breech. The gun was kinda incapable of movement at that point, but I happened to pull the trigger, and out popped a dart. I primaed and fired again, and out popped another dart, and another. And another.

ok now that is a little cool

#11 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

I modded my recon mk 2 and for the longest time after I put it back together, it was slam fire only, and when I opened it back up expecting just to replace the catch spring, I found that the catch had broken clean in two lengthwise, and it would catch, but the vibration of the slide returning would force the catch out of position. I managed to salvage it by taking a stock retaliator catch that I reinforced with e-putty
Can I get a large FUCK YOU with a side of nerf please.

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

I had a Nat-Geo Gun aka Roto Rocket catastrophically explode while being pumped up. In 9 years of attending wars since then, I've still yet to top this one. 

Pictures: 

http://nerfhaven.com...recap/?p=204565

Edited by venom213, 02 March 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#13 Jettdestin

Jettdestin

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Whenever i fire my modded zs Longshot, the darts fold into a v shape and wedge themselves into the barrel.
Still in the process of fixing this too.

#14 Elithenerficorn

Elithenerficorn

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Whenever i fire my modded zs Longshot, the darts fold into a v shape and wedge themselves into the barrel.
Still in the process of fixing this too.

If you don’t have a brass breach in it, try taking a half-inch drill bit and bore down the barrel, the problem you would be having is that the darts are too long, because the ls was made to fire streamlines, which are a tad shorter than elites. This causes the dart to fold when it pushes against the dart tooth. Drilling out the barrel will make it so the dart can slide back a little, eliminating this problem.
If you have a brass breach in it, I don’t know how to help you.
Can I get a large FUCK YOU with a side of nerf please.

#15 HAVOKstudios

HAVOKstudios

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

​Definitely the time my Maverick just stopped priming. I took it apart and put it back together like three times and it still doesn't work right. 

#16 meow121325

meow121325

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

​Definitely the time my Maverick just stopped priming. I took it apart and put it back together like three times and it still doesn't work right. 

look at the pin in the slide is it there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users