Photo

What UV LED should I use to charge EKIND glow darts?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Electronic Leopard

Electronic Leopard

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

i didn't know if this should go here or in "darts & barrels", so sorry if this is in the wrong thread. just tell me if it is. so i tried making a PVC barrel with a UV LED in it, and the darts wouldn't glow. was it not bright enough? can someone tell me how bright the LED needs to be to charge them very quickly? the barrel was just for testing, i plan to put it under the jam door of the blasters i want to use.

Edited by Electronic Leopard, 11 November 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Clear PVC?

Test the LED's in a magwell in the configuration you want to test (eg: lighting down on mag) - a testing rig that isn't what you're trying to do won't help you solve your problem. I can see how plain PVC with LEDs it it wouldn't work a dozen different ways, many having nothing to do with the LED itself or your wiring. I can't help with specific configuration, though I didn't think UV was necessary (white should work just as well, darts charge in regular white house lighting?) and brighter will always be better.

#3 Electronic Leopard

Electronic Leopard

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Clear PVC?

Test the LED's in a magwell in the configuration you want to test (eg: lighting down on mag) - a testing rig that isn't what you're trying to do won't help you solve your problem. I can see how plain PVC with LEDs it it wouldn't work a dozen different ways, many having nothing to do with the LED itself or your wiring. I can't help with specific configuration, though I didn't think UV was necessary (white should work just as well, darts charge in regular white house lighting?) and brighter will always be better.

the LED was inside the PVC. it was wide enough to work. and UV charges faster. what brightness level should i look for?

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

the LED was inside the PVC. it was wide enough to work. and UV charges faster. what brightness level should i look for?

The brighter the better - think of how quickly The Sun charges darts vs indoor lighting.

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Intensity matters - the sun is brighter that an LED by many orders of magnitude. If you can make the light source painfully bright, then it will probably work well.

That said: how important is UV for this glow in the dark stuff? Is it he case that visible light is significantly less important than UV for getting the glow going?

#6 Electronic Leopard

Electronic Leopard

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Intensity matters - the sun is brighter that an LED by many orders of magnitude. If you can make the light source painfully bright, then it will probably work well.

That said: how important is UV for this glow in the dark stuff? Is it he case that visible light is significantly less important than UV for getting the glow going?

UV is important if i want it to be charged quickly. UV charges it faster than white light.

The brighter the better - think of how quickly The Sun charges darts vs indoor lighting.

this does not help. i am asking to look up LEDs and search for a specific brightness.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

this does not help. i am asking to look up LEDs and search for a specific brightness.

And I am telling you: find the brightest one(s) your setup allows, use those.

I also claim no knowledge on whether UV is important for glow darts or not. I just know they work charged under regular household lights and through windows. Maybe grab a cheapo LED flashlight and see how it works on the darts, then just wire it in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users